Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Trying to Submit a competition entry Options · View
Guest
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:02:04 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
The internal editor on the Submit page shows 1495 words, the competition is for 1500 or less words

I click on 'Publish' and the warning says "Must be under 1500 words"

Is there a glitch somewhere?
Guest
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:17:01 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
Just as an aside - my Scrivener shows 1500 words exactly, G-Docs shows 1496 words
nicola
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:12:35 AM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 27,529
This is being looked into, please bear with.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:09:21 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
Thank you Nicola, I shall be the soul of patience :)
Liz
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:15:50 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress
Moderator

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 7,555
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
JasonM wrote:
Just as an aside - my Scrivener shows 1500 words exactly, G-Docs shows 1496 words


I use Scrivener as well.

Try copying the text into NotePad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac), then copy/paste it from there into Lush.
That seems to strip out any unusual hidden formatting that could be throwing it off.

Liz

Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:22:13 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
That's exactly what I do, Liz. Probably the reason for the count difference.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:36:32 AM

Rank: Scarlet Seductress
Moderator

Joined: 1/22/2013
Posts: 7,555
Location: In the sweet shop, United Kingdom
JasonM wrote:
That's exactly what I do, Liz. Probably the reason for the count difference.


Have you tried pasting it in from TextEdit using Cmd + Shift + V (instead of just Cmd + V)?

Might be worth a shot, that is a format-free, plain text paste option.

Other than that, we'll have to see what Gav comes back with.

Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:46:28 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
I'm on a Windows machine, m'dear, so do not have a CMD key ;)

I'll wait for Gav or one of his minions to come back :)
gav
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:27:59 PM

Rank: Code Monkey
Moderator

Joined: 12/25/2006
Posts: 1,453
Location: Syd, Australia
JasonM wrote:
I'm on a Windows machine, m'dear, so do not have a CMD key ;)

I'll wait for Gav or one of his minions to come back :)


I've given the rest of the year off to my minions, so this is left to me to answer.

I did spot an error with the word counts, so I fixed this one. I've also added the number of words the system *thinks* is in your story, so we can verify this with other sources.

Counting words, why is it so hard?
Well, the words on the page isnt exactly what the server sees. By the time the browser has added in its own formatting tags (different on each browser, paragraph, bold, etc) I get this horrible tag soup to work with. Now I have to clean the text of html, then count the number of white space groups. Theory is a word is always separated by white space (space, tab, crlf) apart from the last one in the document.
Guest
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 3:31:38 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 781,128
Sir,

Thank you for your timely work on this. Submitted properly this morning, so the fixes you did seem to have worked

As others have said, you are a genius, Sir

Thank you again

Jason
MadMartigan
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 9:08:28 PM

Rank: Raised on Blackroot

Joined: 6/17/2013
Posts: 2,206
Location: United States
Bollocks.

I'm getting 1500 words in Scrivner, TextWrangler, and 1495 in word.

In the Lush editor, it keeps popping up as 1518 in Chrome and 1516 in Safari.

I've noticed, also, that before you even start typing or what not, you're already down words. angry9

Liz wrote:


Have you tried pasting it in from TextEdit using Cmd + Shift + V (instead of just Cmd + V)?

Might be worth a shot, that is a format-free, plain text paste option.

Other than that, we'll have to see what Gav comes back with.


This system be weird. I just tried that trick from TextEdit and it dropped it below 1500. Nutbag

Lush has had one drink too many methinks.
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:55:26 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 27,529
Hmm, if Microsoft themselves are having issues, then it's no surprise that other programs do too!
Poppet
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 5:59:00 PM

Rank: Cheeky Chick

Joined: 10/5/2012
Posts: 6,251
Location: In Your Dirty Fantasies, United States
gav wrote:


I've given the rest of the year off to my minions, so this is left to me to answer.

I did spot an error with the word counts, so I fixed this one. I've also added the number of words the system *thinks* is in your story, so we can verify this with other sources.

Counting words, why is it so hard?
Well, the words on the page isnt exactly what the server sees. By the time the browser has added in its own formatting tags (different on each browser, paragraph, bold, etc) I get this horrible tag soup to work with. Now I have to clean the text of html, then count the number of white space groups. Theory is a word is always separated by white space (space, tab, crlf) apart from the last one in the document.


*Swoons* Keep talking nerdy, Gav. It does special things to my lady bits. love7

Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 8:20:23 PM

Rank: Head Nurse
Moderator

Joined: 4/15/2011
Posts: 7,543
Location: Soaking up the sun, United States
Poppet wrote:


*Swoons* Keep talking nerdy, Gav. It does special things to my lady bits. love7





Me too Embarassed


Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.