Trying to Submit a competition entry

last reply
15 replies
1.6k views
1 watcher
1 like
Lurker
0 likes
The internal editor on the Submit page shows 1495 words, the competition is for 1500 or less words

I click on 'Publish' and the warning says "Must be under 1500 words"

Is there a glitch somewhere?
Lurker
0 likes
Just as an aside - my Scrivener shows 1500 words exactly, G-Docs shows 1496 words
Matriarch
0 likes
This is being looked into, please bear with.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you Nicola, I shall be the soul of patience smile
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by JasonM
Just as an aside - my Scrivener shows 1500 words exactly, G-Docs shows 1496 words

I use Scrivener as well.

Try copying the text into NotePad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac), then copy/paste it from there into Lush.
That seems to strip out any unusual hidden formatting that could be throwing it off.

Liz
Lurker
0 likes
That's exactly what I do, Liz. Probably the reason for the count difference.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by JasonM
That's exactly what I do, Liz. Probably the reason for the count difference.

Have you tried pasting it in from TextEdit using Cmd + Shift + V (instead of just Cmd + V)?

Might be worth a shot, that is a format-free, plain text paste option.

Other than that, we'll have to see what Gav comes back with.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm on a Windows machine, m'dear, so do not have a CMD key ;)

I'll wait for Gav or one of his minions to come back smile
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by JasonM
I'm on a Windows machine, m'dear, so do not have a CMD key ;)

I'll wait for Gav or one of his minions to come back smile

I've given the rest of the year off to my minions, so this is left to me to answer.

I did spot an error with the word counts, so I fixed this one. I've also added the number of words the system *thinks* is in your story, so we can verify this with other sources.

Counting words, why is it so hard?
Well, the words on the page isnt exactly what the server sees. By the time the browser has added in its own formatting tags (different on each browser, paragraph, bold, etc) I get this horrible tag soup to work with. Now I have to clean the text of html, then count the number of white space groups. Theory is a word is always separated by white space (space, tab, crlf) apart from the last one in the document.
Lurker
0 likes
Sir,

Thank you for your timely work on this. Submitted properly this morning, so the fixes you did seem to have worked

As others have said, you are a genius, Sir

Thank you again

Jason
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Bollocks.

I'm getting 1500 words in Scrivner, TextWrangler, and 1495 in word.

In the Lush editor, it keeps popping up as 1518 in Chrome and 1516 in Safari.

I've noticed, also, that before you even start typing or what not, you're already down words.

Quote by Liz

Have you tried pasting it in from TextEdit using Cmd + Shift + V (instead of just Cmd + V)?

Might be worth a shot, that is a format-free, plain text paste option.

Other than that, we'll have to see what Gav comes back with.

This system be weird. I just tried that trick from TextEdit and it dropped it below 1500.

Lush has had one drink too many methinks.
Matriarch
0 likes
Hmm, if Microsoft themselves are having issues, then it's no surprise that other programs do too!
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by gav

I've given the rest of the year off to my minions, so this is left to me to answer.

I did spot an error with the word counts, so I fixed this one. I've also added the number of words the system *thinks* is in your story, so we can verify this with other sources.

Counting words, why is it so hard?
Well, the words on the page isnt exactly what the server sees. By the time the browser has added in its own formatting tags (different on each browser, paragraph, bold, etc) I get this horrible tag soup to work with. Now I have to clean the text of html, then count the number of white space groups. Theory is a word is always separated by white space (space, tab, crlf) apart from the last one in the document.

*Swoons* Keep talking nerdy, Gav. It does special things to my lady bits.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Poppet

*Swoons* Keep talking nerdy, Gav. It does special things to my lady bits.

Me too
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Hello! I wrote out my Christmas comp story, I submitted it. The moderator cleared it. But I'd forgotten to click the enter competition button! I know you aren't allowed to re-submit old stories for competitions. But I did write this story for this competition, I just neglected to enter it. Can anything be done, please? Thank you!

Southern Charmer
1 like

Quote by MC1982

Hello! I wrote out my Christmas comp story, I submitted it. The moderator cleared it. But I'd forgotten to click the enter competition button! I know you aren't allowed to re-submit old stories for competitions. But I did write this story for this competition, I just neglected to enter it. Can anything be done, please? Thank you!

Hello. I am sending you a private message now.

So I did a thing with leftlingula... 😈 Naughty people, I'm not talking about that. We wrote a story together! I'm very proud of what we've done and we would love for you to read it. It's about a husband and wife remembering who they are together. The fire, their passion, their love, her need to submit to him, and his need to dominate her. All rolled into one beautiful connection. It all started with one simple word...
Nightshade Part 1

Nightshade: Part 2