Throw Away?

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
When editing your stories, do you keep the deleted paragraphs/phrases etc that didn't work in your final draft?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
No. When I delete, it's usually for a reason, meaning that I can say it better or the concept doesn't work. I haven't written and then deleted an entire sex scene yet, but if it was a substantial scene I'd put thought into but then dropped it from a particular story because it didn't quite work, I can see myself maybe saving it for future ideas/stories. It just hasn't happened yet for me. I delete everything I edit out.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't delete, but move them to a different tab in my Scrivener. I've had a couple instances when a section I originally removed from a story actually worked in a later spot.

Once the story is completed and uploaded/accepted, then the 'scrap' tab is removed.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm currently editing my story to be uploaded today, but as I started to proof read I found about three or four phrases/paragraphs that didn't fit in with the story, so I thought I'd use them for something else.

Happy Holidays
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tend to keep things I have edited from a story or poem, I find, like many others, that just because it doesn't work in that particular story, doesn't mean its a bad idea, just that it isn't the place for it.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
If I think the section I need to take out is particularly good, or might come in handy again, I'll hold onto it for a bit, either pushing it down the page or pasting it into another document. But once I move past the point where I don't need it anymore, I just bin it.

Funnily enough though, the half dozen or so times I've done this so far, I've only salvaged maybe a sentence or two. But still...you never know.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
0 likes
No, because they are just so small, I don't know what else I could do with them.