Lesbian or LGBT?

last reply
39 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
1 like
Lurker
1 like
Perhaps the subject has been broached before, but I couldn't find the reference, so here goes. I'm probably not the only lesbian who's not quite comfortable being classified within the "LGBT"-community, sharing a space with, for instance, gay males. Hey, guys, I wish you all the best, this is not meant to offend anyone. But subjects as "Swallowing cum" are as far removed from my world as they probably are from the world of straight males. Apart from some legal and social issues, there's no connection whatever between lesbians and gay men.

Why not make a distinction on this forum?
Lurker
0 likes
Maybe for the same reason why the BDSM section is not broken down into the wide range of interests in that group as well? I am D/s but certainly not SM, so the things asked or discussed in that interest would not apply to me nor would I be connected to. But if each group was broken down into its smaller parts the forum would become so segmented that interaction would suffer (seen it on other forums). So a balance is looked for, where people can find the things they are interested in, but not so segmented that it becomes segregated into such small groups that it stifles interaction.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Riesling
Perhaps the subject has been broached before, but I couldn't find the reference, so here goes. I'm probably not the only lesbian who's not quite comfortable being classified within the "LGBT"-community, sharing a space with, for instance, gay males. Hey, guys, I wish you all the best, this is not meant to offend anyone. But subjects as "Swallowing cum" are as far removed from my world as they probably are from the world of straight males. Apart from some legal and social issues, there's no connection whatever between lesbians and gay men.

There are far more lesbians than gay men that post in the forum.
TonyZ hasn't posted for a few weeks so that leaves me! Most of the threads are quite neutral that can apply to gays and lesbians, some are gay related and others are lesbian related. Personally I like input from anybody as it brings fresh perspectives to a thread. Besides if there was a gay guys only forum I think I'd be talking to myself all of the time.yKhEf5V2uZ3BFSa0
Lurker
0 likes
Appreciate JohnC's answer. But interaction suffers here as well, cause I (and others with me) tend to avoid the whole LGBT-section. Again, this is not intended to offend anyone, but the strategy you mention defeats its purpose.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Riesling

Appreciate your answer. But interaction suffers here as well, cause I (and others with me) tend to avoid the whole LGBT-section. Again, this is not intended to offend anyone, but the strategy you mention defeats its purpose.

You've been a member for much longer than me but the question was your first post, that would intimate that you use the site to read and post stories, use the chatrooms or both. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, I think most gay guys do that too but there's nothing to stop you posting here or in Ask the Gals. I tend not to go into Lesbian threads as they don't interest me, you could do the same with gay threads.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Riesling

Appreciate your answer. But interaction suffers here as well, cause I (and others with me) tend to avoid the whole LGBT-section. Again, this is not intended to offend anyone, but the strategy you mention defeats its purpose.

You will not make everyone happy. And it is clear that you don't want an answer or even explanation as to why things may be what they are, you appear to simply want to break the LGBT section down into its letter components with each having its own section.

And why on earth would you AVOID the whole LGBT section? You are a PART of it, right? Just like I am a PART of the BDSM section. Should I shun it because there are posts there that don't apply specifically to ME? Interesting concept.

From what I see, this section gets plenty of traffic. I have been a member for some time now, but I might be missing something. Maybe making smaller sections where it further segregates interests and people will increase interaction.... maybe... but from what I have seen on other forums, it does not. So while some may claim they purposely do NOT interact because a group does not cater specifically to them (even though they are members of the general group), I find it hard to believe that it "defeats" the purpose of interaction by having these groups.

The simple truth is, that interaction on any level will suffer no matter what is done if those who refuse to interact don't interact. Seriously, what is keeping you or any other Lesbian from posting here? I am genuinely curious as to why would you would shun posting in this group.

(EDITED: I mistook membership date, so edited accordingly. sorry.)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by JohnC

You will not make everyone happy. And it is clear that you don't want an answer or even explanation as to why things may be what they are, you appear to simply want to break the LGBT section down into its letter components with each having its own section.

And why on earth would you AVOID the whole LGBT section? You are a PART of it, right? Just like I am a PART of the BDSM section. Should I shun it because there are posts there that don't apply specifically to ME? Interesting concept.

From what I see, this section gets plenty of traffic. I have been a member for some time now, but I might be missing something. Maybe making smaller sections where it further segregates interests and people will increase interaction.... maybe... but from what I have seen on other forums, it does not. So while some may claim they purposely do NOT interact because a group does not cater specifically to them (even though they are members of the general group), I find it hard to believe that it "defeats" the purpose of interaction by having these groups.

The simple truth is, that interaction on any level will suffer no matter what is done if those who refuse to interact don't interact. Seriously, what is keeping you or any other Lesbian from posting here? I am genuinely curious as to why would you would shun posting in this group.

(EDITED: I mistook membership date, so edited accordingly. sorry.)

I wouldn't make the least bit of difference breaking down LGBT into 4 rooms, people go into all of the rooms. Look at the number of guys that post in Ask the Gals and vice versa. There are no restrictions in the forum as regards who can post where, there's just no point seperating them.
If any group needs a seperate forum it's the crossdressers. I thought they were all gay until I found out on this site how many straight and happily married guys were into it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I wouldn't make the least bit of difference breaking down LGBT into 4 rooms, people go into all of the rooms. Look at the number of guys that post in Ask the Gals and vice versa. There are no restrictions in the forum as regards who can post where, there's just no point seperating them.
If any group needs a seperate forum it's the crossdressers. I thought they were all gay until I found out on this site how many straight and happily married guys were into it.

I see your point, but do not fully agree with it if taken to its full extent. But this is not my forum. I have just seen the continual breakdown on other forums and it gets to the point that it becomes counter productive. So finding that balance is key.

I was simply offering my views on the matter... far too often only supportive views are posted because people think they will become come targets or thought of as being "bad" for not agreeing with everyone. So... I simply made my posts. smile Everyone can take them for what they are worth and agree or disagree. And the forum Admin and Owner can review them all and do what they think is best for the forum, whether it truly is or not.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by JohnC

I see your point, but do not fully agree with it if taken to its full extent. But this is not my forum. I have just seen the continual breakdown on other forums and it gets to the point that it becomes counter productive. So finding that balance is key.

I was simply offering my views on the matter... far too often only supportive views are posted because people think they will become come targets or thought of as being "bad" for not agreeing with everyone. So... I simply made my posts. smile Everyone can take them for what they are worth and agree or disagree. And the forum Admin and Owner can review them all and do what they think is best for the forum, whether it truly is or not.

Wait a minute John, read my post again, I'm agreeing with you.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Wait a minute John, read my post again, I'm agreeing with you.

LOL It could be read either way. It's all good.
0 likes
I think every board that I have ever been on has had discussions like this. The problem becomes one of how far you can go before you have 100 different forums, each so specific that its audience won't contain more than a couple dozen people (or less on a smaller board). However, you lose a lot of cross-pollination and opportunities for learning from others if you let it become this fragmented.

For instance, I am a regular (under a different handle) on a board about pen and paper roleplaying games (e.g. Dungeons and Dragons). They could, technically, have a separate forum for each system (set of rules) or game (specific implementations of rules) - and some users would probably like that idea - but instead the have only two, one for Dungeons and Dragons and its derivatives and one for everything else. I, personally, am only interested in one or two actual systems so I have to sift through all the rest of the threads to find the threads on those systems and the games using them. I do not mind this because sometimes wandering into discussions about general issues or other systems gets me into some interesting conversations.

Here, what if you created a lesbian forum and then someone decided they only wanted discussion of the social and political side of being lesbian and not the sex? They start demanding a Lesbian Social and a Lesbian Sex forum. Them maybe different factions within Lesbian Social start splintering off. And so on until you have a whole sub-board with its own set of forums for lesbians. And the existence of such a board for lesbians is not necessarily a bad thing, I just do not think it is part of the mandate of Lush Stories to run it. And I also think there are broader issues that do legitimately belong in an "LGBT" forum that could get lost, or at least lose some valuable byplay, if the forum was broken up into Lesbian, Gay... areas.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Riesling

I think your concern is valid, Riesling.

It wasn't all that long ago that the BDSM sub-forum did not exist at all here at Lush. Same with this LGBT sub-forum -or- category, however one wishes to classify them. These newer categories did not just spring up suddenly one morning. They were discussed and decided upon too.

When I joined Lush in Sept of 2009, there were perhaps a dozen categories or sub-forums. Over time, Lush has evolved to better reflect the overall community.

Everything has a starting point...perhaps this is that for what you seek. Perhaps a poll would assist in providing feedback for the rest of us to determine how to accommodate and proceed?

Cheers
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

I think your concern is valid, Riesling.

It wasn't all that long ago that the BDSM sub-forum did not exist at all here at Lush. Same with this LGBT sub-forum -or- category, however one wishes to classify them. These newer categories did not just spring up suddenly one morning. They were discussed and decided upon too.

When I joined Lush in Sept of 2009, there were perhaps a dozen categories or sub-forums. Over time, Lush has evolved to better reflect the overall community.

Everything has a starting point...perhaps this is that for what you seek. Perhaps a poll would assist in providing feedback for the rest of us to determine how to accommodate and proceed?

Cheers

Exactly who would vote in the poll? What happens with the GBT part if the L is seperated?
I might be more inclined to lend support if the poster had even tried the forum in the last 13 months instead of a first post complaining about it!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Riesling
Appreciate JohnC's answer. But interaction suffers here as well, cause I (and others with me) tend to avoid the whole LGBT-section. Again, this is not intended to offend anyone, but the strategy you mention defeats its purpose.

Why avoid the whole section? The beauty of forums are that they allow for a multitude of posts and topics. Open the section and you can easily view the contents and options. If you don't like "cum swallowing" threads, don't go into those. But you may also find stuff about shemales, coming out issues, all sorts of things. I don't like all the questions or threads in "Ask the Guys", so I don't go into those threads. I don't avoid the entire section.

Like John says, it's just like the BDSM section. Breaking it down into light bdsm, doms, subs, switches, curious.... would dilute the product.

It may happen, Lush is very open minded to changes. I'm not entirely sure this one is needed but I've been wrong before.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Exactly who would vote in the poll? What happens with the GBT part if the L is seperated?
I might be more inclined to lend support if the poster had even tried the forum in the last 13 months instead of a first post complaining about it!

I would imagine that mostly the lesbians of Lush would vote or participate in the poll, dpw. Maybe we can ask our resident statistician for some number crunching.

I have no idea how many women on Lush have identified themselves as being lesbian.

Have you ever considered that Riesling may have been reading the forum for the last 13 months and just now decided to speak up about a topic which matters to her? And really, what does it matter to you, me or anyone else - how many posts the OP has replied to - or what she considers important enough to comment upon?

As for what might occur with regard to the other letters of the acronym... that's over my pay grade.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

I would imagine that mostly the lesbians of Lush would vote or participate in the poll, dpw. Maybe we can ask our resident statistician for some number crunching.

I have no idea how many women on Lush have identified themselves as being lesbian.

Have you ever considered that Riesling may have been reading the forum for the last 13 months and just now decided to speak up about a topic which matters to her? And really, what does it matter to you, me or anyone else - how many posts the OP has replied to - or what she considers important enough to comment upon?

As for what might occur with regard to the other letters of the acronym... that's over my pay grade.

To me it means a great deal how many post a member has made when the first is so critical.
As for breaking it up, that is pointless as anything can be posted in every room and any member can post in every room.
Why not go the whole hog and split the BDSM room into its' component parts. While we're at it we can break up Ask the Gals into blondes, redheads and brunettes and Ask the Guys into relevant cock size.
I find it very odd that a member that posts so infrequently would be interested in this op!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by dpw

To me it means a great deal how many post a member has made when the first is so critical.
As for breaking it up, that is pointless as anything can be posted in every room and any member can post in every room.
Why not go the whole hog and split the BDSM room into its' component parts. While we're at it we can break up Ask the Gals into blondes, redheads and brunettes and Ask the Guys into relevant cock size.
I find it very odd that a member that posts so infrequently would be interested in this op!

Well, since neither you nor I are lesbians, I can only suggest that we take some hints and suggestions from those who are.

You're open minded enough to allow and encourage discussion, right?

Incidentally, I didn't find anything within either of Riesling's two posts - to be critical or offensive. It simply sounded to me like a thoughtful person posing a thoughtful question.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

Well, since neither you nor I are lesbians, I can only suggest that we take some hints and suggestions from those who are.

You're open minded enough to allow and encourage discussion, right?

Incidentally, I didn't find anything within either of Riesling's two posts - to be critical or offensive. It simply sounded to me like a thoughtful person posing a thoughtful question.

I don't understand your use of the word offensive, I certainly haven't used it. Of course the OP is critical, why would you want a thing broken up if you weren't critical of it.
It's true that neither of us are lesbians but I am LGBT and as such have a vested interest. I can't understand why someone that isn't LGBT would be concerned with how the forum is made up.
Lurker
0 likes
What maybe some do not realize that within the LGBT community there are lesbians who won't even call themselves women because of the 'men'. They say womyn instead. Maybe the OP is like that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
What maybe some do not realize that within the LGBT community there are lesbians who won't even call themselves women because of the 'men'. They say womyn instead. Maybe the OP is like that.

She didn't seem dyslexic to me.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
coming soon: forums for...

gay men
lesbians
transgenders
bisexuals
closeted gay men
outrageously gay men
closeted lesbians
lips stick lesbians
dykes
butch gay men
bears
pre op transgenders
bisexual men
bisexual women
bisexual transgenders
single gay men
single lesbians
married gay men
married gay lesbains
divoriced gay men
divoriced lesbians...

you get the picture?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
coming soon: forums for...

gay men
lesbians
transgenders
bisexuals
closeted gay men
outrageously gay men
closeted lesbians
lips stick lesbians
dykes
butch gay men
bears
pre op transgenders
bisexual men
bisexual women
bisexual transgenders
single gay men
single lesbians
married gay men
married gay lesbains
divoriced gay men
divoriced lesbians...

you get the picture?

What we really need is a brown haired, blue eyed, butch, librarian, organic salad making, mountain climbing, ham curing, moose riding, snow shoeing gay thread and then we may get somewhere.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by dpw

It's true that neither of us are lesbians but I am LGBT and as such have a vested interest. I can't understand why someone that isn't LGBT would be concerned with how the forum is made up.

Initially there was a bit of resistance to even create an LGBT sub-forum, Derek. Believe it or not.

And back before it was decided to go ahead and create the category, I was championing its creation along with a few other members.

And just to be clear... I am not saying nor implying that I created the subforum... and I have no sway here in any regard...but we all have input and the powers which be listen to us all. That's how this forum has evolved and changed - at least over the four plus years I've been around these parts.

So, no...I have no skin in the game as you feel you do. But I like to read all the threads in the forums of Lush and if someone wishes to voice his or her desires out here in the forum area - well...that's partly what the forum is for - isn't it?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

Initially there was a bit of resistance to even create an LGBT sub-forum, Derek. Believe it or not.

And back before it was decided to go ahead and create the category, I was championing its creation along with a few other members.

And just to be clear... I am not saying nor implying that I created the subforum... and I have no sway here in any regard...but we all have input and the powers which be listen to us all. That's how this forum has evolved and changed - at least over the four plus years I've been around these parts.

So, no...I have no skin in the game as you feel you do. But I like to read all the threads in the forums of Lush and if someone wishes to voice his or her desires out here in the forum area - well...that's partly what the forum is for - isn't it?

Fair enough.
Lurker
0 likes
Since I am the OP (seems to be the correct term), I think I should get back to you. Thanks everyone for responding, and have a great Christmas!

My question was just that, a simple question, not a reason to wage war. I was taken aback by the indignation it seemed to generate. Glad that some members pointed out that it was just a question. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

Why it took thirteen months for me to post my first entry on this forum? I joined Lush a year ago, then completely forgot about it. Six weeks ago I discovered it again, wrote a few stories, read lots of threads on this wonderful forum, enjoyed them tremendously, but wondered about the LGBT-question.

LGBT is a social/political issue. On a sex stories platform like this, it makes less sense. In my part of the world (where I was born and raised, that is), some adult sites throw the lesbians in with the straight males. There's a lot to be said for that. (Yeah, right, think about it). Not politically correct, I know, but face the facts. For those who don't get the picture: I really like to watch women's beach volleyball with my male friends. We got something in common there.

Someone mentioned "womyn". I don't think many "womyn" will join Lush. But that's just a hunch, based on experience.

Oh, and don't ridicule the issue by wondering if we need subdivisions for blue-eyed barmaids with only one wooden leg. That's too easy.

I don't want to add more subdivisions if nobody's interested, but my question still stands: Why would lesbians and gay males have anything in common on an erotic site like this?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Riesling

I don't want to add more subdivisions if nobody's interested, but my question still stands: Why would lesbians and gay males have anything in common on an erotic site like this?

Maybe because they are people who are attracted to others of the same sex?

On a general note: I don't think the issue is really whether the questions asked are valid or not, but about degrees they are and if any real change is warranted. I think we could all agree that no water is bad, a glass of water is perfectly fine, but shoving someone's head into a river is not. So should the issue be one or the other? I think a happy medium could be had.

Do we have that now? Maybe. I would say unless there was genuine interest by a sizable group it would not be worth making further category breakdowns. Again, much like the BDSM section is also not broken down into smaller sub-sections yet it is clear that there ARE sub-sections within the group. A Sensual Dom and someone into S&M are as different as a Lesbian and a Gay Male; yet both belong to the same "group" as the other. And if a member who has virtually no actual forum participation went to that section (BDSM) and posted a similar question, would it warrant a forum change? Personally I would have posted the same responses there as I have here. No. But again, others may view it differently.

My view on it is that forum breakdowns should be made when there is a genuine need for it because posts are being LOST in a larger group. That is like when forum sections get so many posts in that one interest or another is being lost and pushed down the pages and onto other pages (I think most folks don't look past the most recent posts and seldom go deeper than maybe the second page, if that). I do not think sub-sections should be made simply because a few, or one, member thinks they might want it. There has to be a balance between usefulness, actual need, and other issues.

I do not personally think that because a member may see posts they are not interested in, that it warrants additional sections. Just don't read those threads. That is what everyone else does in EVERY forum section. And then post your OWN thread about something that interests YOU that is within the general forum category you are in.

Again, if this section was rolling along and posts were getting lost and pushed to other pages, I could understand the need for breaking things down farther. But that is not happening. And I seriously doubt that the reason more Lesbians are not posting here is because there are "Gay Male" posts being made in this section and they have no interest in that. Some, sure, maybe, ok. But most? I don't think so.

As for it causing issues between members... I don't see that really. A question was presented, and both sides have spoken up with their views and beliefs on the matter. No one has really gotten disrespectful to others, but presented their "arguments" in logical and rational ways. Sure, there are differing views. But then again, most questions that have subjective answers WILL have. And with that, I don't think I really have anything else to add that has not been said by myself or others.

I too wish everyone a happy and healthy Merry Christmas and holiday season.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Why can't we all just get along? The gay bar I frequent has A LGBT mixture of people & we all seem to get along just fine. I don't understand why some people feel the need to segregate everyone. I can understand it in the chat rooms. People want to talk to people with similar interests. I don't feel it's rite that Lesbians have their own chat room here at Lush & the Gay's have their own room.(sort of) But the BT segment have to share with the Gay's. However theres nothing we can do about it. Now your telling me the Lesbians should have their own Forum section as well. What ever happened to Equality? Seems to me someone is looking for supremacy or favoritism. It just doesn't seem fair to me. Then again life isn't fair is it?
Lurker
0 likes
Personally I would much prefer a private forum for us girls as I have absoulutey no desire to read topics involving cum swapping transgender guy on guy topics etc as I'm sure a lot of people have no desire to read our lesbian topics! But hey that's just my 2 cents
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Corinnadancer
Personally I would much prefer a private forum for us girls as I have absoulutey no desire to read topics involving cum swapping transgender guy on guy topics etc as I'm sure a lot of people have no desire to read our lesbian topics! But hey that's just my 2 cents

I think you'd be surprised just how many straight men would be interested in your topics.gAXwDh7qDzEU62sx
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I think you'd be surprised just how many straight men would be interested in your topics.q5eW2Cr4JHZ5LYCk

Oh don't worry I have had the "pleasure" of meeting some of them