Login

A novel frame of mind?

last reply
6 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I looked through my ever growing list of stories and noticed that only a handful are stand alone stories (1chapter).

Every other one is 3 chapters or over with the highest being 7. This & the 2 novels I have on tap makes me believe my mind is more suited to writing novels instead of short stories.

Anyone have this going on?
Lurker
0 likes
On occasion I get ideas that I expand greatly on. Other times it's like it is a one shot deal. I usually work on my longer ones in shorter bits and use shorter ones to keep myself in my element and not get say rusty.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I definitely think bigger picture with my writing, but it's only been my last two stories that are actually the first chapters of much longer pieces. The rest, while able to be extended, are really just short stand alones for the sake of practice.

Although, I've had little to no interest in Warning Order, so that'll probably stay in my head. But there's been a fair bit of feedback on Respite to flesh that out more, so Chapter 2 is in the queue, with the dozens of other ideas swimming around in my brain.

My aspirations are to one day be a novelist, so I'm always going to steer myself in that direction. I just wish I could churn out the chapters faster.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
0 likes
To me, it's 6 in one, and half dozen in the other. It depends if you wanna stick with one set of characters for a while, or move on to something else. You could even take a break from a series, and come back to it later. I tried doing the novel thing with like Help from my sister, or my friend's dad, but I enjoyed doing the smaller series ones better. I don't know why, but that's just me.
Lurker
0 likes
My hooker series is becoming a novel. I didn't intend it to.
Lurker
0 likes
My frame of mind for a novel is the same as a short story, bring the fire. I believe they call it high impact writing. People talk about pacing. You need pacing when writing a long story, they say. I don't think like that when writing a long story. I think: longer story. Other than that no differences. For me writing a long story is much more difficult.
I learned something new from reading the other posts in this thread. People write for chapters, writing chapters one at a time. That thought never popped into my head. Early last year I wrote a book length story and it was just one long story. I went back and added the chapters in.
Lurker
0 likes
I have two story lines that originally started as shorts, but are rapidly expanding in my head.