Login

right number of chapters for the novel section

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I have an story in mind but I'm not sure how many chapters I should make it. I'm thinking 10 should get it done but I'm not sure.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
There are two ways you can go. One is to outline the story - detailing what needs to happen in the story and when - and that should suggest chapter divisions. The other way is to just start writing. In writing novels I've found that as I write places for chapters breaks tend to suggest themselves.

Okay. So here's a story that may be illustrative (or not). The composer Jean Sibelius was teaching at the Helsinki Conservatory. One day he encountered one of his composition students on the campus. During their conversation the student mentioned that he was having a great deal of difficulty developing the themes (the musical lines, melodies, on which a larger work like a symphony is grown and derived) for his first symphony. Sibelius told him, "You shouldn't be occupied with developing the themes for your first symphony. You should be writing your first symphony." Which I would take to mean: don't get too caught up in process and procedure. Simply start creating, and those process elements will tend to take care of themselves.
0 likes
I guess what it boils down to is, how many times you wanna submit chapters. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong number of chapters. People might think some could be broken up, like turning 2 chapters into 3. Which is not a bad observation, you don't wanna make chapters too long, that might lose the readers interest. Although, what you gotta remember, is not change it too much, so it's not in your style. Write it the way you want. I know you'll have to change some stuff so it's appropriate for the site, but don't change too much. Good luck with your writings.