What do maxi pads feel like?

last reply
28 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I know most girls now wear tampons, and I've seen tampon commercials saying that maxi pads feel like diapers? Is this true?

Aren't they just a minature diaper, anyway? Do they feel like diapers? What do they feel like?
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by soccerdude111
I know most girls now wear tampons, and I've seen tampon commercials saying that maxi pads feel like diapers? Is this true?

Aren't they just a minature diaper, anyway? Do they feel like diapers? What do they feel like?

are you serious???

A DIAPER?? No, mister .... a pad that catches the blood as it exits the body .... better than having a wet bloody mess on chairs, on jeans, in the bed. and .... NO women do not urinate or have a bowl movement while wearing a pad.

Some women can't use tampons ... for whatever reason. Some women use both tampons and pads ... because they bleed THAT much.

Aren't ya lucky you don't have to use either, every 28 days or so ... for approximately 40 years??

jeezus .... some of the dumbest fucking questions are found on here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Haven't you seen the commercials? It feels like you are floating on a cloud.

No. They don't feel like diapers (although I haven't worn a diaper in about 16 years) , they aren't necessarily comfortable though. Tampons are way easier and more convenient, but sometimes it's necessary.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
After seeing all those tampons ads where women ride horses, scuba dive, surf, dance salsa and ride bikes in fields of flowers, I couldn't help but steal one from my girlfriend and insert it up my ass.

I wear one each day ever since. Life is so much more enjoyable now.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't wear tampons and pads feel like nothing after they shape to you. The old fashioned ones that were 1/2 thick felt like a matress but modern ones are very thin.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
This question is really out there. OMG....
Head Nurse
0 likes
I am one of those who prefers tampons, but as was stated for a variety of reasons I'll wear a pad occasionally as well. How they feel depends on the style and type as was previously mentioned. Thicker pads aren't diaper like in that I feel like I should do bodily functions, but I can understand the analogy as they can be difficult to hide under clothes, and are bulky. Thinner pads are much easier to camouflage and don't add bulk, leafing to an overall more pleasant experience. The only reason girls wear thicker pads at times is because sometimes their flows are that heavy.

Wearing a pad is simply part of the territory. I don't mind the actual wearing, but I do wish it didn't come with things like worry over potential leaks, cramps, bloating, and depression. The side effects of the hormonal cycle are complex, and quite frustrating.

Hey, I'll answer this question as it beats repeatedly answering the other 5 same questions we get routinely.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by soccerdude111

Put one on and see for yourself!!

Lurker
0 likes
Some things you can't unseen no matter how much you want to.

*goes & gets a fork*
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Haineko^

Anyways, I have had friends who do say they hate pads because they feel like diapers. Personally, I'm good with both tampons and pads. Like the commercials show, you can do a lot more when you use a tampon compared to when you use a pad!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sexytwenties
Like the commercials show, you can do a lot more when you use a tampon compared to when you use a pad!

Exactly.

I am one of those girls that hates pads. I know you can get the thin ones with wings and length and all the bells and whistles but they do still make me think of diapers. Also - not to be gross - but that little 'gush' you can feel if you've been sitting or laying down in one position for a long time and then stand up and start to move around. Bleechhhh... I don't know - there's just something about them that really turns me off.

I don't have heavy cycles (and they generally only last 3 days) so I've always been tampon girl all the way. I know the commercials are total cheese, but technically you can flex, lay around with your legs spread wide open, swim, run, work-out properly, dance and not have to worry something is going to leak or even deal with the reminder that you're on your period. Occasionally if I'm feeling super paranoid or wearing light coloured pants, I'll use a panty-liner but otherwise I stay away from them.

Another benefit with tampons is that if you're naked or doing sexual things (oral, anal), you don't have to deal with the mess if you decide to stay plugged.

I agree with the suggestion though - if you want to know how they feel, try one on. smile
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
duct tape is the way to go! seriously, you can use that stuff for anything!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Also - not to be gross - but that little 'gush' you can feel if you've been sitting or laying down in one position for a long time and then stand up and start to move around. Bleechhhh... I don't know - there's just something about them that really turns me off.

I can feel like that occasionally with a tampon too. Grosses myself out just thinking about it. I can take care of the nastiest, most infected wound without turning an eye. My own cycle creeps me out.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

I can feel like that occasionally with a tampon too. Grosses myself out just thinking about it. I can take care of the nastiest, most infected wound without turning an eye. My own cycle creeps me out.

Oooh, I've never had a gush with a tampon. Maybe it's the brand. I like the Tampax Pearls best. Any of the ones that 'blossom' into a unique shape upon insertion are awesome.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm one of those women who used to have very heavy and very loooooooooong periods - I felt like I was always on the rag sad As much as I preferred tampons because of the "freedom" aspect as already outlined by others, it too wouldn't be enough on it's own particularly a day or two into my cycle. Wearing pads or even tampons stuffed up one's snatch isn't something that we women look forward to and it can feel like diapers sometimes. Thankfully, since I've moved to an IUD, my periods are faint at best if at all so the days of dealing with those nasty contraptions for any noticeable length of time are but a faint memory.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Oooh, I've never had a gush with a tampon. Maybe it's the brand. I like the Tampax Pearls best. Any of the ones that 'blossom' into a unique shape upon insertion are awesome.

I used to have very heavy flows. not an issue anymore thankfully!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Aunt Flo, everybody's favourite topic. My girlfriend uses a Diva Cup and says it's a lot better (healthier, fresher, convenient, etc) than either tampons or pads. She still requires extra protection on her heaviest flow day(s) but otherwise the cup is enough. We can even have sex, gently, without making a mess on all but the heavy flow days so from a guys perspective.... hell yeah.

OK, I'm quietly backing out of the ladies locker room now and going to rinse my eyes out with muriatic acid after seeing the above photo of Mr Confused.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Exactly.

I am one of those girls that hates pads. I know you can get the thin ones with wings and length and all the bells and whistles but they do still make me think of diapers. Also - not to be gross - but that little 'gush' you can feel if you've been sitting or laying down in one position for a long time and then stand up and start to move around. Bleechhhh... I don't know - there's just something about them that really turns me off.

I don't have heavy cycles (and they generally only last 3 days) so I've always been tampon girl all the way. I know the commercials are total cheese, but technically you can flex, lay around with your legs spread wide open, swim, run, work-out properly, dance and not have to worry something is going to leak or even deal with the reminder that you're on your period. Occasionally if I'm feeling super paranoid or wearing light coloured pants, I'll use a panty-liner but otherwise I stay away from them.

Another benefit with tampons is that if you're naked or doing sexual things (oral, anal), you don't have to deal with the mess if you decide to stay plugged.

I agree with the suggestion though - if you want to know how they feel, try one on. smile

All of this.

However, my flow is kind of unpredictable, so I do wear pads to accompany a tampon. And sometimes I don't feel like dealing with plugging/unplugging, so I'll do just a pad. That's mostly in the beginning of my period where I feel gross and don't wanna do anything but wear my fat girl sweats and eat junk food. Always Infinity is my go-to brand...and I feel nothing (except that annoying gush when I get up or sneeze or something). Super thin, but super absorbent....and no false sense of security. Plus the material that holds the pad together isn't as abrasive as regular pads, so I don't have to worry about chafing if I decide to strictly stick to pads for the entire duration of my period.

All in all, if you do decide to start wearing pads, start with thicker panty liners and go from there...just to get a feel for how the material feels against your skin.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
I know the question was for the ladies, but a comment if I may

Since she went to her Diva Cup some years back, M'Lady has foresworn pads or tampons entirely.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by BikeBoy
Aunt Flo, everybody's favourite topic. My girlfriend uses a Diva Cup and says it's a lot better (healthier, fresher, convenient, etc) than either tampons or pads. She still requires extra protection on her heaviest flow day(s) but otherwise the cup is enough. We can even have sex, gently, without making a mess on all but the heavy flow days so from a guys perspective.... hell yeah.

I think I just yakked a little just thinking about this.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BikeBoy

OK, I'm quietly backing out of the ladies locker room now and going to rinse my eyes out with muriatic acid after seeing the above photo of Mr Confused.

i don't think he's confused at all. in fact, i'd say he, more than many people, knows exactly who he is and is quite comfortable with being himself. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

I think I just yakked a little just thinking about this.

I'm curious to know what you find unsettling about using the Diva Cup versus pads/tampons.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by BikeBoy

I'm curious to know what you find unsettling about using the Diva Cup versus pads/tampons.

Read my previous post. I explained my issues with all three, but I find the cup much much more disturbing than tampons. I don't wear pads for the reasons DD mentioned.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by BikeBoy

They're not practical unless you have a very heavy flow. They're made of silicone, which is very rubbery and feels uncomfortable if your flow is light as there's no lubrication. Also, it stains after prolonged use. There's risk of endometriosis among other infections. It claims that it can be used for 12 hours straight...twice as long as a tampon. That's gross because...well, reasons. Back to the infection risks: Every time you touch it, you're adding more bacteria to it...bacteria that's being inserted directly into your vagina. Also, there can be spillage. Not to mention, if you're out in a public restroom...do you just carry a cup full of menstrual blood to the bathroom sink? Then you have to clean it, go back in the bathroom and reinsert it. It just seems more of a hassle overall...virtually no convenience factor other than you can keep it in your vagina longer while your blood is basically siphoned into this cup.

I've had extensive conversations about this with my gyno as well as a few relatives who are nurses...they all say no.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012

They're not practical unless you have a very heavy flow. They're made of silicone, which is very rubbery and feels uncomfortable if your flow is light as there's no lubrication. Also, it stains after prolonged use. There's risk of endometriosis among other infections. It claims that it can be used for 12 hours straight...twice as long as a tampon. That's gross because...well, reasons. Back to the infection risks: Every time you touch it, you're adding more bacteria to it...bacteria that's being inserted directly into your vagina. Also, there can be spillage. Not to mention, if you're out in a public restroom...do you just carry a cup full of menstrual blood to the bathroom sink? Then you have to clean it, go back in the bathroom and reinsert it. It just seems more of a hassle overall...virtually no convenience factor other than you can keep it in your vagina longer while your blood is basically siphoned into this cup.

I've had extensive conversations about this with my gyno as well as a few relatives who are nurses...they all say no.

Thanks for the interesting info, I'll pass it along. I do know my girlfriend says the 12 hour claim is BS or at least not safe practice regardless of flow. I think she empties it when she gets up to pee in the night for that reason. It's not foolproof as far as leakage goes either, as her office chair would testify, but then neither are the alternatives.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BikeBoy

Just the idea of inserting something - leaving it there - taking it out - pouring out the bloody contents - washing it - and then reusing it is pretty gross.

Tampons are just as gross but at least you don't have to drain the contents, wash and reuse.

Beign a woman on the rag is just a gross thing - why make it a bigger problem and a bigger mess?

Pads - without splashing blood anywhere - you can rip them off, wrap them up, and toss them out without performing acrobatics on the toilet.

On top of that - it is impossible for me to get my hand and fingers anywhere close to my cervix. Not happening any year soon. You've gotta be super limber to do all that.

To top it off. People who do use the diva cup are always gushing over it like it's this amazing thing. They're like users pushing coke. biggrin (that was a joke - for those who are offended by this point)
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
PRISON

Say. Her. Name.