Health, Fitness and Eco-Friendly Trends

last reply
33 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Is anyone else obsessed with bkr (pronounced 'beaker') water bottles? I think they're only available in North America at the moment but they've become a total staple for me - in the gym bag, at work, sitting by my computer, when I go to the beach, wherever.

I always have a couple of bottles in the fridge (home filtered water) and just swap them out as I drink them or refill them from water coolers when I run out. Water always tastes better out of glass - no nasty chemicals leaching out of plastic. They're re-useable so it's eco-friendly and they come in the most yummy range of silicone sleeve colours.

I also like them because if you entertain at dinner parties, group weekends or outdoor/pool parties in the summer, you can assign a different coloured bottle to each person. Even if you're all drinking alcohol, eventually people are going to want water. It's an easy way for people to remember where they left their bottle without mix-ups or added clean-up.

I drink *a lot* of water and I know many people find it a challenge to get those 8-9 glasses in a day but I find pretty candy-coloured bottles do the trick for me. For those that drink juices, iced tea and soda but want to cut the pounds - don't drink your calories (biggest and easiest-to-fix mistake). Enjoy real food and drop the sugary calorie-laden drinks - even little changes like this can make a difference.

Have you jumped on the glass water bottle train? I know LifeFactory makes them as well, but I prefer the bkr design.

If not, share some of your favourite healthy obsessions - yoga mats, surf boards, exercise gear, athletic wear, juicers.

What works for you and inspires you to lead a healthier life?

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Concerning healthy habits, you'll find quite a lot of obsessions in me. Few are 'aesthetic' obsessions though, so I'm not sure if they fit the purpose of this thread (En Vogue).

First, I have a digital balance to weight most of the food I eat. This might seem a little OCD to those who don't even bother being careful about what they eat, but it's really not that complicated to me. For example when I prepare my oatmeal in the morning, all I have to do is put my bowl on the balance and pour each ingredient as I normally would, until the right amount is reached. I do this mostly because I want to optimize my goals; when I'm bulking (purposely overeating) and gaining unwanted fat, I really want to limit the fat I gain while building muscles.

Some people invest money/time in those programs who 'supposedly' help you develop/conserve an active mind; I simply rely on healthy obsessions like this to achieve the same.

I also use a weekly pills container for my supplements/vitamins. I had to buy one with large cases as I ingest so many (all of which safe/natural). I just fill them at the beginning of the week, and swallow them all in the morning without having to open each supplements' pot separately.

I'm also obsessed with fitness girls. The degree of that obsession might not be really healthy though.

PS: Those bottles are interesting! It's rare for me to drink water on the go as I have to go to the bathroom once every 15 minutes if I do (seriously), but this might be useful. Apparently drinking from plastic bottles can be dangerous. It's hard to see on the pictures, but are these 'colored bands' also foamed to protect the bottles? That would be awesome.

Where do you buy those?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I'm also obsessed with fitness girls. The degree of that obsession might not be really healthy though.

I've used these before too for a few months at a time, but now I just have the bottles lined up because I got lazy about refilling them.

Someone was telling me the other day that certain vitamins are best taken at certain hours of the day (eg. certain vits are better taken at night to process while the body is at rest). I've genuinely never thought of this before - I just follow the label where it usually says 'take on empty stomach' or 'take a few hours before other meds'.

Quote by SereneProdigy

PS : Those bottles are interesting! It's rare for me to drink water on the go as I have to go to the bathroom once every 15 minutes if I do (seriously), but this might be useful. Apparently drinking from plastic bottles can be dangerous. It's hard to see on the pictures, but are these 'colored bands' also foamed to protect the bottles? That would be awesome.

Where do you buy those?

They have a website mybkr.com where you can buy direct but they also sell at various dept stores, boutiques. You can look up store locations. They also sell a ton from online stores. Basically it's a glass bottle in a coloured silicone sleeve. You can remove the sleeve, but the silicone gives it a nice grip. You can also carry the bottle from the handle on the screw top lid. The nice thing about it is that the mouth of the bottle isn't huge like some water bottles are so there's no spillage or drips - which is especially nice at the gym if you're still in movement. It's seriously awesome - almost like the LELO of water bottles. lol And yes, admittedly I am a colour-aholic. Aesthetics do make me drink more water - I average about 6-8 bottles a day. When you really increase your water take, you will pee a lot, but after a few weeks you body gets used to it, adjusts and levels out. Water is so important to cleans the toxins and is so good for the skin too.

Also, part of each sale goes to charity (the Obakki Foundation and the Canary Foundation), which is always a plus.

They have a range of darker guy-colours and neutrals too. Even black.

The Linebacker
0 likes
I use one of those plastic bottles for water when I work out. I've actually tried hooking a small bottle to me when i go for long runs, but that was annoying. I do attach a water bottle when I bicycle. Here in the South it is very humid during warm weather, which is most of the year, so it is very easy to sweat everything out and get dehydrated when exercising outside or doing yard work.

My doctor told me that many in the medical community no longer adhere to the 8 large glasses of water per day. He said your body lets you know when your thirsty, otherwise don't force extra water into your system.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Doll, a girl in class with me this week had one of these. (I actually went over to her and asked to look at her bottle)

My own glass that I carry daily for water died this week. I thought I might look at this to replace it. My conclusion was that it wouldn't suit my purposes, I was worried about how effectively I could clean it. I love my big hello kitty cup with the big straw. Now if I could just find a good replacement.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
Doll, a girl in class with me this week had one of these. (I actually went over to her and asked to look at her bottle)

My own glass that I carry daily for water died this week. I thought I might look at this to replace it. My conclusion was that it wouldn't suit my purposes, I was worried about how effectively I could clean it. I love my big hello kitty cup with the big straw. Now if I could just find a good replacement.

They are top-rack dishwasher safe. smile

The mouthpiece of the bottle is on the smaller side. You can also buy inexpensive bottle brushes on their site to clean them or use a small brush for things like baby bottles to get inside. Since it's only water I'm putting in it I don't find it difficult just using my fingers and suds on a mini-sponge or even a soaped paper towel to clean the mouthpiece inside/outside and then vigorously shake the suds into the bottle and dump/rinse. They also come in 1L sized, but I find that's too much water to carry around for me so I like the 500mls.

If you like straws - not sure if you've checked out Starbucks cups with straws? I use these for shakes and smoothies and they're great in the summer if you make those shaken iced tea lemonades etc. They're really durable and easy to clean. You just screw off the lid. They come in medium and tall sizes (the tall ones are best, especially if you like using lots of ice).

Head Nurse
0 likes
I haven't seen the Starbucks cups, but I'll go look.

I drink a lot of unsweetened tea, so washing out my cup is essential.
One person just doesn't use enough dishes to warrant the use of my dishwasher though. I use it to store my cast iron lol.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

One person just doesn't use enough dishes to warrant the use of my dishwasher though. I use it to store my cast iron lol.

For the first year I lived on my own, I used my stove as extra storage space. I understand. smile
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

For the first year I lived on my own, I used my stove as extra storage space. I understand. smile

i slept in my oven during the winter to keep warm.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

i slept in my oven during the winter to keep warm.

Now I don't have to worry about a guest bedroom when you come visit!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Now I don't have to worry about a guest bedroom when you come visit!

so, i've been downgraded from cage to oven? typical!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Blending. That's my obsession.

Use it for pre and post workout protein shakes.

Use it for green smoothies about 3 times a week (unless I'm on a salad kick that week).

Use it for fruit smoothies.

Makes life so much easier to get the veggie/fruit servings for the day.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I do that too, lol.

I used to bake/cook a LOT. I have more kitchen tools, than I have kitchen for. I also have an antique trunk in the kitchen full of pans(who keeps 5 springform pans? ), rolling pins, cake boards, ect. But I was wrong earlier, a quick look, showed me the cast iron is in the oven, the corningware (mainly vintage stuff) is in the dishwasher. I have love of many things vintage, so the cast iron pans, and the older dishes suit me.

My personal healthy obsession is salads. I typically eat them 6+ nights a week. I typically add egg, meats, crushed crackers, fruit, beans in a variety of combos. Ive been kind of backing off the meat though lately. Im not sure why. Im absolutely not a vegetarian (I love beef, and was raised around animals. I raised the steak in my freezer.) I just have been eating a lot more beans, eggs, and quinoa for my protein sources.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I want these so bad! I have been obsessed with Nike Free since the line first launched (I have one of the original 3.0s).
Now they are releasing a new model - the 1.0 Cross Bionic. I cannot wait to try these on. They look fantastic. I've always been a 3.0 devotee - I love the barefoot running feel - these look to take it one step further.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I wish I could still wear Nike Frees.

I had a very early pair a couple years ago that let me do HIT training.

Since then, however, I'd had to get custom orthotics as I have a mild case of plantar fasciitis.

The frees having no arch support would probably kill my feet and knees. Which sucks. A lot.
Lurker
0 likes
Interesting stuff in this thread!

I'm living abroad right now, and I'm loving the Uniqlo HeatTech thermals (as shown below, but I prefer darker colours).

I like how uber thin it is, yet it's really effective in keeping me warm during training and matches outdoors. I can just slip a normal sports tee and leggings over and I'm good to go in the winter smile I guess this is less of an obsession and more of an adaptation; I'm used to playing in a tee and shorts back home where it's 31-32 degrees C. I'm not complaining though, since leggings flatter every girl's legs and bum. I kinda want these Nikes

Also, recently unlocked: the power of hair spray! Apply liberally to the (cleaned) soles of sport shoes to prevent slipping.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by emilykiss
Interesting stuff in this thread!

I'm living abroad right now, and I'm loving the Uniqlo HeatTech thermals (as shown below, but I prefer darker colours).

I like how uber thin it is, yet it's really effective in keeping me warm during training and matches outdoors. I can just slip a normal sports tee and leggings over and I'm good to go in the winter smile I guess this is less of an obsession and more of an adaptation; I'm used to playing in a tee and shorts back home where it's 31-32 degrees C. I'm not complaining though, since leggings flatter every girl's legs and bum.

I like those!

Reminds me of my fave thin-tees for workout, running, general living - the Lululemon Swiftlys - they're lightweight and sweat-wicking. I get so much use of them - perfect for layering in cooler weather and unlayering when things have warmed up.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I want these so bad! I have been obsessed with Nike Free since the line first launched (I have one of the original 3.0s).
Now they are releasing a new model - the 1.0 Cross Bionic. I cannot wait to try these on. They look fantastic. I've always been a 3.0 devotee - I love the barefoot running feel - these look to take it one step further.

I have free 3's and wouldn't change back to normal ones ever. I like the look of those though and may have to buy some!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I'm also obsessed with Lululemon's Vinyasa Scarf. I'm a bit of a scarf hoarder - these are my fave. You can wear them in a lot of ways and even turn them into a little shrug or vest. And they're soooo soft.

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Haha, I'm not sure if this thread is supposed to be about fitness or fashion anymore, but here are a few accessories I bought last year.

I bought all three of these at bodybuilding.com/store for a very cheap price, in the same order. If you're interested in buying one of them yourself and you're struggling to find the correct page, just send me a PM and I'll provide you the proper link.

Resistance Bands. Price paid: $10

First, I bought these resistance bands to supplement my workouts with many different movements: they can be used either to warm-up, to stretch, or even to perform the main exercises of your workout. They come in a pack, in three different levels of resistance: yellow for light, red for moderate, blue for heavy. Each band is 6' long.

I personally use them to warm-up before my session, in light series of 20 repetitions (shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc.). Since I suffered from a few injuries last year, I also implemented them in my main exercises to provide movements that are more controlled and linear; they also allow me to use less weight on some of my exercises.

For example, I attach them to my dumbbells when I'm performing hammer-curls, as such:

That way, I feel a nice contraction through the entire range of the movement, as opposed to a peak contraction at the middle of it where my forearms are perpendicular to the floor. This also allows me to use dumbbells that are about half the weight that I would normally use, which is a lot friendlier for my joints. The muscles are stimulated just as much though (I'd even argue that they are more stimulated), and I really feel exhausted after only 10 repetitions.

With a bit of creativity, and assuming that you know how to stimulate your muscles properly, you could use these bands for many different exercises. And no, they aren't only meant for womanly or sissy workouts:

Orbitape. Price paid: $5

I also ordered this tape, which is extremely convenient if you're interested in keeping track of your progress. As opposed to a regular tape, it's very easy to measure the circumference of your limbs/waist/hips all by yourself, as it forms a loop that tightens around them with a simple push on a button.

Body Fat Caliper. Price paid: $5

Another useful tool to keep track of your progress, this one allowing you to obtain a precise value for your body fat percentage. These calipers are very easy to manipulate, and they come with a guide to instruct you where to take the measures and how to make the calculations.

I thought I'd share these three accessories as they're quite useful/versatile and they're very inexpensive. With Christmas that's coming up, these accessories are awesome low-cost gift ideas for anyone that's into fitness!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I bought all three of these at bodybuilding.com/store for a very cheap price, in the same order. If you're interested in buying one of them yourself and you're struggling to find the correct page, just send me a PM and I'll provide you the proper link.

Resistance Bands. Price paid: $10

First, I bought these resistance bands to supplement my workouts with many different movements: they can be used either to warm-up, to stretch, or even to perform the main exercises of your workout. They come in a pack, in three different levels of resistance: yellow for light, red for moderate, blue for heavy. Each band is 6' long.

Oh, I have these as well - I love them! Therabands are invaluable - not just for warm-up, stretching, workout, pilates exercises, and strength training, but they're commonly used in physio as well, so if anyone is involved in any kind of body rehab, these are a 'must-have' for home use. They'd even work well for seniors working on light exercise or mobility training.

And yeah - this thread can be a catch-all for anything related to health, exercise, eco-trends, yoga, fitness fashion, workout gear, footwear etc. It all works. smile
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
And yeah - this thread can be a catch-all for anything related to health, exercise, eco-trends, yoga, fitness fashion, workout gear, footwear etc. It all works. smile

Does that mean that I'm also allowed to discuss about my fascination for tight sports bras and yummy yoga pants?

Anyway, yeah, these bands are quite useful. Last year was very 'health-focused' for me in terms of fitness goals, and I've found many great ways to use these bands.

To prevent injuries in the shoulders, any serious lifter should perform rotator cuff exercises. These auxiliary muscles aren't properly stimulated with the common heavy bodybuilding exercises, which will likely result in muscular imbalances and injuries if you don't dedicate a few specific exercises to them.

I perform these 3 exercises with my bands, usually as part of my warm-up:

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Does that mean that I'm also allowed to discuss about my fascination for tight sports bras and yummy yoga pants?

Yep, you can make recommendations of what you like vs what you don't like when it comes to gym-wear!
Lurker
0 likes
I went a little overboard and bought a selection of these Lunchbots items.

Made from stainless steel/glass/recycled materials. I think they're sleek, durable and great quality.

Just thinking this is more of a fitness thread and, of course, I've brought it back to food. Sorry folks!

Lurker
0 likes
I've also purchased yoga/workout gear from companies that promote local, environmentally friendly and ethical business practices.

I thought these were kinda cute -

Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Is anyone else obsessed with bkr (pronounced 'beaker') water bottles? I think they're only available in North America at the moment but they've become a total staple for me - in the gym bag, at work, sitting by my computer, when I go to the beach, wherever.

I always have a couple of bottles in the fridge (home filtered water) and just swap them out as I drink them or refill them from water coolers when I run out. Water always tastes better out of glass - no nasty chemicals leaching out of plastic. They're re-useable so it's eco-friendly and they come in the most yummy range of silicone sleeve colours.

I also like them because if you entertain at dinner parties, group weekends or outdoor/pool parties in the summer, you can assign a different coloured bottle to each person. Even if you're all drinking alcohol, eventually people are going to want water. It's an easy way for people to remember where they left their bottle without mix-ups or added clean-up.

I drink *a lot* of water and I know many people find it a challenge to get those 8-9 glasses in a day but I find pretty candy-coloured bottles do the trick for me. For those that drink juices, iced tea and soda but want to cut the pounds - don't drink your calories (biggest and easiest-to-fix mistake). Enjoy real food and drop the sugary calorie-laden drinks - even little changes like this can make a difference.

Have you jumped on the glass water bottle train? I know LifeFactory makes them as well, but I prefer the bkr design.

If not, share some of your favourite healthy obsessions - yoga mats, surf boards, exercise gear, athletic wear, juicers.

What works for you and inspires you to lead a healthier life?

Thank you Ashleigh. I still use plastic but that will now change. Like you I consume 8 - 9 bottles of water a day. Don't drink sodas (yuk). And balance my carbs and proteins. 45 min of workout 6 days a week. My surfboards are shaped by Casey McCrystal. The old fashioned foam and fiberglass ones.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Mollypants
I went a little overboard and bought a selection of these Lunchbots items.

Made from stainless steel/glass/recycled materials. I think they're sleek, durable and great quality.

Just thinking this is more of a fitness thread and, of course, I've brought it back to food. Sorry folks!

Oooh... I like the look of these! Putting it on my list of things to check out. smile
The Linebacker
0 likes
Truthfully, I just grab whatever water bottle is available. At one time I would drink from the water fountain at the gym, but after I noticed how unsanitary some people or I quit doing that.

I usually wear just gray gym shorts and old t-shirts with the sleeves torn off to work out in and I wear old sneakers. I try to remember to bring a clean towel, but sometimes I forget so I often have to rent one from the gym. I generally like two towels, one to wipe myself off and one to wipe off the equipment. I get really pissed off at people who don't wipe off the equipment when they are done and have been known to tell them that they better do it the next time. The gym I use now has paper towel dispensers placed conveniently around the gym along with sanitizer dispensers, so there is no excuse for people to not clean off the equipment when they are finished.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Since lunch wares have been mentioned, here are my favorite tupperwares. Sturdy glass, microwavable, perfectly sealed... they're just perfect. I always eat a salmon salad at noon (filled with nasty salmon juice), and I've never experienced a leak:

And this very weekend I've been browsing on Amazon, and saw those awesome nunchakus available for around $5. I might order two pairs in the near future, haha:

I knew a guy who casually practiced with these, and he got quite awesome fairly rapidly; it's impressive as fuck when you're skilled. I already mastered the yoyo in my early 20s, time to kick some major ass with nunchakus. Cowabunga!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

This takes me back.