Time between chapters/parts

last reply
65 replies
7.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This might have been asked before but I'm not trawling through the threads to look.
What's the ideal time period to publish parts of a story?
Do you write one part at a time and publish or write the whole story then publish it in parts?
The wait can be so annoying if you have to go back and re-read earlier parts to refresh your memory.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by dpw
This might have been asked before but I'm not trawling through the threads to look.
What's the ideal time period to publish parts of a story?
Do you write one part at a time and publish or write the whole story then publish it in parts?
The wait can be so annoying if you have to go back and re-read earlier parts to refresh your memory.

I feel the same way. When I want to read a story I want to read a story. Not read a part, get interested, and wait six months to continue. I think writers who do that do a disservice to both their readers and themselves (by frustrating readers that might otherwise be interested in their story).

As a writer I've never begun to publish a story anywhere that is not finished. Usually I'll not submit all chapters at the same time. Rather I'll submit the first part/chapter, wait for it to publish, and then submit the next. But my most recent story was in six parts, and they were all posted within a period of a couple weeks (one thing I like about Lush is that there are enough moderators that stories can be given attention very rapidly. At Literotica all stories have to pass through one person and the wait time between submission and publication can be quite lengthy - often more than a week).

Just from a writing perspective, I don't like the idea of starting a story and having no idea where you're going with it or how it ends. I think if a person is going to write then the first thing they should know is the story they want to tell! I find that the start and end of my stories are fairly easy to figure out. Then it's just a matter of how to get from one end to the other.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
As someone who has a story hanging ( in another pen name ) and hate myself for it - finish the thing before you start posting. You never know what life is going to throw at you.

In my experience, you get the best results by posting parts of a story either weekly or twice weekly until it's done. Anything beyond that, and readers start forgetting about it. That seems to be the limit to keep them engaged.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm dragging on my current series & I apologize to all those waiting. I hate when I do this.

I will finish the next chapter here very soon (almost done) and get it sent in.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I try to keep the time between chapters/parts to no more than a week and no less than three days. Any sooner and you don't give the previous chapter/part enough time to get read, and any longer and folks start forgetting the storyline.

Also I usually have the whole story written before I publish...unless it's a novel or something!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MasterJonathan
I try to keep the time between chapters/parts to no more than a week and no less than three days. Any sooner and you don't give the previous chapter/part enough time to get read, and any longer and folks start forgetting the storyline.

Also I usually have the whole story written before I publish...unless it's a novel or something!

That timings perfect. I've read stories and the parts can be seperated by months and unless the story is brilliant I couldn't be bothered rereading other parts.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
Just do whatever works for you.

Doesn't that show a lack of respect for the readers. You, yourself, manage to publish parts within days of the previous one.
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Doesn't that show a lack of respect for the readers. You, yourself, manage to publish parts within days of the previous one.

So, it doesn't show respect for the readers, if you publish your story, on your own time, and terms?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

how does that show a lack of respect for readers?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

how does that show a lack of respect for readers?

By, for example publishing part 2 three months after part 1.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

By, for example publishing part 2 three months after part 1.

ok. once again, how is that disrespectful?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

ok. once again, how is that disrespectful?

If you want respect as a writer you should respect the reader. By leaving a story up in the air for an inordinate length of time, shows that you really don't care about the people reading your story. Even more so when at the end it states part 2 to follow soon.
Read Bethalia's post.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Long waits between chapters and stories that never finish have been a part of online erotica since the beginning. If readers can't adjust to that, they're bound for disappointment.

Doesn't mean I recommend it, but it's very much a fact of life in this "biz".

If that's the way your muse works, that's the way she works. The readers aren't paying ( most of them don't even bother to vote or comment ) so it's not as if you owe them anything. You have to weigh the likely large loss of readership and potential for less than desirable scores/comments against getting chapters out there when you can, and then make your own decision.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

If you want respect as a writer you should respect the reader. By leaving a story up in the air for an inordinate length of time, shows that you really don't care about the people reading your story. Even more so when at the end it states part 2 to follow soon.
Read Bethalia's post.

Or... we're amateur writers with families and jobs and some of us are mods who don't have a lot of time to write, so we do what we can do. it takes me a good long time to write a chapter, many of which are extremely wrong. would it be better to never put out any work at all?

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Or... we're amateur writers with families and jobs and some of us are mods who don't have a lot of time to write, so we do what we can do. it takes me a good long time to write a chapter, many of which are extremely wrong. would it be better to never put out any work at all?

Agreed.

And writing in and of itself sure as shit isn't an easy thing to do.

Even the greatest writers get stoned walled and are unable to complete something they start.

We're providing our work and putting our balls (our lady bits) on the line for critics.

The fuck is there to complain about?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

My point is don't publish it until it's finished. Please look at Master Jonathon's post, that's what I'm saying. I understand that it's not a job and life comes first but why not wait to publish?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

My point is don't publish it until it's finished. Please look at Master Jonathon's post, that's what I'm saying. I understand that it's not a job and life comes first but why not wait to publish?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Agreed.

And writing in and of itself sure as shit isn't an easy thing to do.

Even the greatest writers get stoned walled and are unable to complete something they start.

We're providing our work and putting our balls (our lady bits) on the line for critics.

The fuck is there to complain about?

And your point is what exactly?
Lurker
0 likes
In all honesty I don't do this for respect as a writer. I do it because I enjoy it.

There are times, sometimes months at a time, where writing would be a chore and give me no enjoyment. At times like that I don't write because anything I write will be shit.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1

So, it doesn't show respect for the readers, if you publish your story, on your own time, and terms?

No quite the opposite, it shows a disregard as on your own terms and in your own time.
You seemed to manage it recently, 7 parts and no lengthy delay.
Lurker
0 likes
I can only write when the story comes. I am not a natural at this structure as my first goal was to write screenplays or plays so it takes me time to edit. I have learned not to publish until I can't edit anymore. I was lazy and pressured once and it sucked and got (rightfully so) rejected. So I recently decided to let it flow as it will and if it never does then it never does.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

No quite the opposite, it shows a disregard as on your own terms and in your own time.

We write because we enjoy it. It is very flattering if you do have readers/followers who wait for your stories and I know that I have hounded my favourite authors to write more. I feel writing should be done on your own terms and in your own time. It is a hobby, there is no financial reward from publishing your stories on the home page.

I can understand your urgency of wanting to know what happens during a story, but my view is each chapter should be a stand alone read. Yes, if someone writes 'to be continued' at the end of their story, and not publish again until twelve months later, then I can see how this may leave the reader not fully satisfied.

I usually tend to stay clear of writing in chapters as I can not commit to spend large amounts of time writing, however, I have recently done this upon request as the readers wanted to hear more about certain characters.

We are amateur writers and a good story takes time and patience. There are a few outstanding stories on here that have been written in chapters, but each time the chapter has left me satisfied, yet excited if I see a continuation (if that makes sense). If someone writes 'chapter 1 of 50' then I would be inclined to read it until all 50 had been published.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
In all honesty I don't do this for respect as a writer. I do it because I enjoy it.

There are times, sometimes months at a time, where writing would be a chore and give me no enjoyment. At times like that I don't write because anything I write will be shit.

This.. *thumbs up*
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

for one, some of us would never publish anything with this method. for another, George RR Martin would never publish anything with the method (and HE'S a professional!).

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

for one, some of us would never publish anything with this method. for another, George RR Martin would never publish anything with the method (and HE'S a professional!).

I hardly think editing 30,000 pages for a novel is a very good analogy. The novel is a stand alone piece much like the James Bond or Matthew Bourne books. That hardly equates to a story here that ends abruptly especially when it's a lead in to the story.
This is my opinion and if yours differs, fine. I'm trying to write a story that's taking forever, I keep leaving it and coming back to it but I wouldn't submit part of it. I'll wait until I've completed it, I might even try my hand at shorter stories in between.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Funny I had this exact example in mind. (U just hope he finishes the GoT series before either he dies or the show has to start inventing stuff!)

Stephen king JUST published the follow up to The Shining this past year. I figure if its good enough for these incredibly successful writers to wait years before they follow up, I'm sure it's okay for an amateur likd me
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

Funny I had this exact example in mind. (U just hope he finishes the GoT series before either he dies or the show has to start inventing stuff!)

Stephen king JUST published the follow up to The Shining this past year. I figure if its good enough for these incredibly successful writers to wait years before they follow up, I'm sure it's okay for an amateur likd me

He's finished it, he's editing 30,000 pages to novel size. That could take some time!
The follow up to The Shining is a perfect example as it is simply another story, do you think it could be done by just introducing the main characters and setting the scene then nothing until 3 months later? Publish chapters 1 & 2 then wait, 3 & 4 then wait and so on? That's the analogy!
Head Nurse
0 likes
Believe it or not, many of us here spend a large amount of time editing our work too. The story in my avatar started out life 3X as long. Each edit carefully addressed not just grammatical errors, but pov, details, show vs tell, tags, ect. Much of it recieved multiple rewrites. The writing process itself was the minor amount of time spent.

Basically, my position is, and will continue to be, I will post my stories in the timeline of my choosing, as I write for myself. At the moment, I have a potential follow up to one of my stories I wrote a couple years ago. If I decide to write and publish it, it will be for my pleasure, not at the demand of a reader.
Lurker
0 likes
Some of us have limited time due to work, partners, etc. I do have a multi-part story in the works, but if I were to wait till then entire work was done to publish it here, you'd be a year or more in the waiting. Even at that, it's still going to be a couple weeks perhaps before Part 1 goes up, then a month or more before Part 2.

If the story is engaging, I happily wait for the next part. Curlygirl And Mazza are working on Part 3 of their joint effort. Six months between Parts 1 and 2, but the story is good, the writing excellent so I'm happy to wait for the continuation of the story.

We are not full-time writers like King or Martin, we do this in what spare time we can arrange.

While I admire MasterJonathan for his diligence and perseverance, some of us do not have the inclination to wait till the entire tale is complete before we put up the individual parts.