Help!

last reply
21 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I suck at poetry bad, like real bad. My poem for the love poems category wasn't the best. The thing is I want to get better. I am completely out of my comfort zone & I eventually want poetry to be if not in my comfort zone then pretty close to it. I have an erotic poem swirling in my head with no way or confidence to write it & publish it

Any advice or links our lushy poets can send me way would be very very appreciated, not just by me but many others I'm sure.

Thank you in advance
Lurker
0 likes
Would love to help you if I can..

I'm not really a writer but I know I have a very good imagination sometimes.

I'll try to help you sweetie..

Have you looked for any tips online?

xo

Lurker
0 likes
I would but sadly my phone makes it difficult.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
try..will you please just keep trying

write down your thoughts..hopes dream fantasies..from deep deep down

write

ask a friend to edit

and keep submitting

you can do this

i read your posts..you HAVE the talent

you can and will..do it
" smile..it is the second best thing to do with your LIPS!"
Lurker
0 likes
I will keep writing I love it to much to stop.

It's the poetry subgenre I need help with. I just can't seem to get it. I look at DirtyMartini & Shylass & wonder how they do it.

I hope to be a fraction as good as them at some point.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Oh, don't compare your poem with any of it here. You just need to think hard, and as daddysweetheart said you needed some imagination. Look around and collect ideas hun ...
Lurker
0 likes
It base on your mood and how you feel or how it was rainning or whatever.

It's like writing a song in a way

But to each their own I guess
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by thesexynun
try..will you please just keep trying

write down your thoughts..hopes dream fantasies..from deep deep down

write

ask a friend to edit

and keep submitting

you can do this

i read your posts..you HAVE the talent

you can and will..do it

I agree. Keep trying. Never throw away anything you write. Poetry is like a puzzle oftentimes. One day you'll get a piece, and the next piece may not come for days...weeks even. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Relax. It will come. Just don't stop what you're doing. Keep going!
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Haineko
I suck at poetry bad, like real bad. My poem for the love poems category wasn't the best. The thing is I want to get better. I am completely out of my comfort zone & I eventually want poetry to be if not in my comfort zone then pretty close to it. I have an erotic poem swirling in my head with no way or confidence to write it & publish it

Any advice or links our lushy poets can send me way would be very very appreciated, not just by me but many others I'm sure.

Thank you in advance

If I may offer just one more piece of encouragement...Please speak positive of yourself. You don't suck. You're evolving. You're learning and moving toward the writer you aspire to become.

Cheer up! Change your thinking about your work and your work will shine before your very eyes.
Lurker
0 likes
I'll help you if you want still hon..

Hugss.
Lurker
0 likes
I will never say no to help.

I've been toying with an idea recently for the erotic poetry category.

Kind of combining the 2 but predominantly erotic to fit the category.

1 question though: poems don't *have* to rhyme do they?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Haineko

No, they don't. We accept free verse poetry.

Liz
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Haineko

No, they don't! Save us all from the land-fill of poorly metered rhyming couplets!
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by Possibly

If I may offer just one more piece of encouragement...Please speak positive of yourself. You don't suck. You're evolving. You're learning and moving toward the writer you aspire to become.

Cheer up! Change your thinking about your work and your work will shine before your very eyes.

That's the best advice so far. The others tell you what to do, this tells you how to think. How you think about yourself determines what you become.

NEVER put yourself down like that, you'll convince yourself that you can't do it and never try. All you're doing is building up good excuses for having failed, before you even try.

I try to keep images like this in my mind. That is a real challenge for me, obviously, but I'm getting there. "Just For Men" comb-in color would help but I think I see some darker roots from just thinking about it real hard. We'll see.

I am always a gentleman.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some good advice above. My only advice is try not to picture how to please the reader too much, rather write it the way you think you would enjoy reading it if you weren't the author. In other words, please yourself first. But, ask a friend who you admire if they would read it and give you feedback on it or even editing help. Good luck.
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Don't be afraid to post what you've written so far in the forum in order to get some immediate feedback.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
There is some wonderful advice here. I like the fact that you have a strong desire to work on your craft. It's a constant state of growing and learning. I wouldn't trust a writer that feels that they have arrived artistically. The writer's that you mentioned will no doubt tell you that they are still learning too.

The best advice that I was ever given was to simply read. Good writers read, and not just what they are comfortable with. Go beyond your peers, open an anthology, discover who you love and examine why. Don't compare yourself to others and don't mimic. Listen to yourself, examine how you feel, move and think. See what works for you. Rhymes don't make a poem, meter doesn't and word choice alone won’t save it. Voice is what makes it poetry. It defines it. I'm a firm believer of that, others may dispute it. Technique can be taught and easily corrected. Very well written is an easy compliment to give and get. It is what we rely on when we can't think of anything else to say. We know what looks pretty and can recite grammar rules (or at least know someone who can). But the "WOW" of it, what gives pause and reflection, what makes it art comes from within the person. Be bold, put yourself out there.

Have faith in yourself, but don't get cocky. We are only as good as our last story and they are easily forgotten. Each one has to stand alone. Don't surrender them so fast. Write it, meditate on it, hold on to it and then write it again before letting it go. It is never going to be perfect. But, every thought isn't worthy of a poem. Be picky and have a strong desire to appeal to those who are picky. It's not about how many poems you write; it's about what hits the mark. The best writer's on this site have little interest in just being seen on the front page.

Having said all of that, I'll share something else someone said to me. The first time I presented in a writer's forum, they tore me a new hole (if you know what I mean). An extremely talented friend told me, "Not everyone deserves to fuck with your shit." (I'll let you decipher that one for yourself. It may mean that you totally ignore me. )

Once again, I've said more than I should of. But, I like you Haineko. I may delete the whole thing after I actually get some sleep.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
There is some wonderful advice here. I like the fact that you have a strong desire to work on your craft. It's a constant state of growing and learning. I wouldn't trust a writer that feels that they have arrived artistically. The writer's that you mentioned will no doubt tell you that they are still learning too.

The best advice that I was ever given was to simply read. Good writers read, and not just what they are comfortable with. Go beyond your peers, open an anthology, discover who you love and examine why. Don't compare yourself to others and don't mimic. Listen to yourself, examine how you feel, move and think. See what works for you. Rhymes don't make a poem, meter doesn't and word choice alone won’t save it. Voice is what makes it poetry. It defines it. I'm a firm believer of that, others may dispute it. Technique can be taught and easily corrected. Very well written is an easy compliment to give and get. It is what we rely on when we can't think of anything else to say. We know what looks pretty and can recite grammar rules (or at least know someone who can). But the "WOW" of it, what gives pause and reflection, what makes it art comes from within the person. Be bold, put yourself out there.

Have faith in yourself, but don't get cocky. We are only as good as our last story and they are easily forgotten. Each one has to stand alone. Don't surrender them so fast. Write it, meditate on it, hold on to it and then write it again before letting it go. It is never going to be perfect. But, every thought isn't worthy of a poem. Be picky and have a strong desire to appeal to those who are picky. It's not about how many poems you write; it's about what hits the mark. The best writer's on this site have little interest in just being seen on the front page.

Having said all of that, I'll share something else someone said to me. The first time I presented in a writer's forum, they tore me a new hole (if you know what I mean). An extremely talented friend told me, "Not everyone deserves to fuck with your shit." (I'll let you decipher that one for yourself. It may mean that you totally ignore me.).

Once again, I've said more than I should of. But, I like you Haineko. I may delete the whole thing after I actually get some sleep.

This is great advice/information ABG.. I hope you keep it up... (posted)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

Having said all of that, I'll share something else someone said to me. The first time I presented in a writer's forum, they tore me a new hole (if you know what I mean). An extremely talented friend told me, "Not everyone deserves to fuck with your shit." (I'll let you decipher that one for yourself. It may mean that you totally ignore me. )

Once again, I've said more than I should of. But, I like you Haineko. I may delete the whole thing after I a
ctually get some sleep.

thank you.

*big hug*
Lurker
0 likes
Free form poetry does not rhyme. I myself generally write my poetry this way and any rhymes are incidental. I have had a few published in books in the past. Though I do not hold myself up as a perfect example. My best advice would be... don't push writing into a category just to complete it. FEEL your writing...it is emotions on paper. And those unvarnished emotions are what will grab the reader...pull them into the caress of words. A good story or poem, especially erotica, you aren't just reading you're feeling. As lovers touch your breath comes faster, more shallow, dry lips part...you're there. I hope I was helpful.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How is your poetry going?
Lurker
0 likes
I've been concentrating on my already giant list of stories I have for Lush.

The idea is still in my head but it's not demanding to get out at the moment