Help with promotion

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi all,
Newbie here. My question relates to the photos used here primarily in the signature to promote stories. Where do you find photos that are free from copyright issues etc.

There are millions of great images out there in web land but I'm uncomfortable about using them in case someone took exception to its use.

Where do you get them?
Cheers
TM
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Tellerman
Hi all,
Newbie here. My question relates to the photos used here primarily in the signature to promote stories. Where do you find photos that are free from copyright issues etc.

There are millions of great images out there in web land but I'm uncomfortable about using them in case someone took exception to its use.

Where do you get them?
Cheers
TM

There are several agencies/sites that sell non-royalty images. I use BigStock.com. I find their prices to be very reasonable, and their library is huge. The idea is that you pay a one-time fee for the use of an image (that is, purchase the copyright to use the image in a permitted way). There are some restrictions on what you can use images for. For example, you can't use one of their images on an actual product (like a cereal box or can of vegetables). But use for story/book covers is specifically permitted.

The image that you see in my avatar/book cover is one of those images.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for that. Is it likely they would be approved for explicit erotica?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A lot of people here use Tumblr for a source for pics too. Tumblr is a great place to search for pics and I have used it many times.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Tellerman
Thanks for that. Is it likely they would be approved for explicit erotica?

Subject matter isn't an issue. The avatar book cover I use is for one of a series of stories. I don't really think of myself as a writer of erotica. At least I don't sit down at a keyboard with the intent of writing erotica. But I do write stories that explore issues in human sexuality, and I don't gloss over or euphemize sexual interactions between characters. So the stories I have a smashwords, for instance, can only be accessed by deactivating an adult filter, and that's as it should be. But a book cover is a book cover, and these images are available for use as book covers. What's between the covers isn't an issue.