Erotica with pagan/wiccan elements

last reply
8 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Story Verifier
0 likes
As I've got a few plot bunnies bouncing madly in my head that may, once calmed down and lined up, be enough to fill a novel, I'm wondering the usual. Has it done before and, if yes, how.

The basic story line is going to involve a bit of murder-mystery, a secret pagan society and, how could it be different, one or two young woman whose curiousity is at times only topped by their naivety. Do I need to mention lots of kinky sex? Didn't think so. But if I plan to make a novel of it, I'll of course also try to write for a market (if there is one, and if that doesn't mean to bend my arms backwards).

So far, the only erotic novel with strong pagan elements is Lizbeth Dusseau's "Pagan Dreams". I found a number of short stories on ebook sites, but not really much. Is it just an unploughed field, are werewolves and vampires simply such more erotic that nobody is interested in the topic, or am I simply once more too blind to see the forest for the trees?

All pointers to works out there that I overlooked are greatly appreciated, and I'd be equally happy to read your personal opinions.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'd say go for it. I did a quick search on smashwords for 'wiccan' and came up with five title word matches and two hundred and some tag matches. So those are not any terribly great quantities for a site with 290,000 books on it. Most of the entries seem to be novella length (say 20K to 50K). Some seem to be short novel in length (60K to 80K). Fewer are short story length. But having a look through what's published on smashwords might give you an idea about what's out there now.

BTW - the same search on Lush returned ten matches out of about 30,000 stories. So you may be on to a lesser explored area.
Lurker
0 likes
I'll read it. And having been (and still kind of am) Wiccan if you have questions about Wicca I can help
Head Nurse
0 likes
even if something has been done before, go for it. It will still be your own work, with your own spin and therefore not the same as someone elses
0 likes
What naughtynurse said. Stephen King did not let the existence of Dracula and it's myriad imitators/pastiches stop him from writing Salem's Lot and many horror fans including myself are glad of that. It take the classic "mysterious evil vampire moves to an unsuspecting community" story and make it a very good, modern horror novel. Yes, you want to avoid redoing something that's been done to death, but that does not mean avoiding a subject that's been done before; it does mean finding a way to put your own spin on the story.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Thank you all for the tips and encouragement. I've done some more digging (also using smashwords, thanks bethalia!), but didn't come up with anything definitive. Too few numbers to be of statistical meaning after having plucked out all the disguised werewolf, vampire and tentacle stories ;)

So I'll settle for knowing that I'll have at least one reader and give it a spin smile

I may very likely take you up on the offer, Haineko. It's good to know there's someone to check with if my ideas get too outrageous or strange. So thanks again.
Lurker
0 likes
No problem smile

Hit me up with a PM whenever
Lurker
0 likes
Just a suggestion- Those pagan/wiccan customs go back a very long way and you might look at more traditional mythologies and some books/authors in the fantasy genre for ideas. In non-fiction, Robert Graves "The White Goddess," and Joseph Campbell's "Primitive Mythology" and "Myths to Live By," for instance. Also H.R. Ellis Davidson's "Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe." On a fictional level, Mary Renault's "The King Must Die." Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology as well as Poul Anderson's books which are based, like Wolfe's, on the mythology of the Norse; "The War of the Gods," "Hrolf Kraki," and "The Broken Sword." Perhaps they could also be valuable to you.

The below are the lyrics for "Raven" by Hedningarna. I heard the translation for this song is inaccurate, but still, it's interesting, based on the "Fox Woman" of northern Europe. Maybe she can be one of your murder suspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCHceyuKhFM

Red lips hide your teeth
and your tongue is so coarse

Fire and frost are in your eyes
are you a woman or a fox?

Wild and sly you hunt in time of darkness
long sleeves hide your claws
with your prey you play
your mouth is red with blood

(Chorus)
Rise now lust and rave desire
rush on upwards, sap in birchstem
Rise without a word of witch craft
rush without a rune of making!

You are wild and frighteningly beautiful
skirt barely hides your tail
Luring deeper into the woodlands
with your mad wild animal's dance
Just when your clothes fall
and I see your naked frame
you laugh and open your jaws
and give me deep bites of love…

Rise now lust and rave desire
rush on upwards, sap in birchstem
Rise without a word of witch craft
rush without a rune of making!

Be careful of who you meet in Northern forests.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by Craig1967
Just a suggestion- Those pagan/wiccan customs go back a very long way and you might look at more traditional mythologies and some books/authors in the fantasy genre for ideas. In non-fiction, Robert Graves "The White Goddess," and Joseph Campbell's "Primitive Mythology" and "Myths to Live By," for instance. Also H.R. Ellis Davidson's "Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe." On a fictional level, Mary Renault's "The King Must Die." Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology as well as Poul Anderson's books which are based, like Wolfe's, on the mythology of the Norse; "The War of the Gods," "Hrolf Kraki," and "The Broken Sword." Perhaps they could also be valuable to you.

The below are the lyrics for "Raven" by Hedningarna. I heard the translation for this song is inaccurate, but still, it's interesting, based on the "Fox Woman" of northern Europe. Maybe she can be one of your murder suspects.

Thank you for all the input, and sorry I didn't reply earlier. I was about to a few times, but then some ideas popped up in my head while I re-read your post that I simply had to research... I know, I'm bad ;)
I'll definitely give one or more of the non-fiction books a look, this is going to be the most research I have ever done for writing and can use all the pointers I get. I've already spent hours digging through heaps of fascinating information and ideas, but I still feel I've barely scratched the surface.

I'll have to keep my hands away from all pagan and wiccan fiction until I'm done with the story though, or I'll end up totally distracted - I found that I can't mix too much pleasure reading with writing. In the worst case, my own ideas will get mixed up with the book I'm reading and I'll have to stop writing because I run into danger of unconsciously copying parts. Had that happen before in another genre, and when I noticed that some sentences had jumped right out of the book I had been reading the week before, I was already at 40,000 words sad

The fox woman is actually a brilliant idea. The thought of weaving a mythological shapeshifter into the story has been at the back of my mind all along, as I plan to give my main character (or characters, haven't ecided yet how deeply I'll involve her best friend) serious doubts about her sanity. And a foxy lady is always good to have in a story *giggles*.