Keeping in touch: ex-fuckbuddies and ex-boyfriends

last reply
29 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Let's say you are in a relationship with a girl. She used to have a fuckbuddy and occasionally she still talks to him/texts in a casual way. You've heard some of the sex stories related to this guy and they were pretty intense. No hooking up is going on currently though and your relationship is solid, as far as you know.

Would it bother you if your girlfriend met up with this guy for casual drinks when he's in town (just as buddies - no fucking), or would you feel uncomfortable with this. Would you rather not know about it?

And would you feel differently about it if it was an ex-boyfriend rather than a fuckbuddy?

*ps. assume you are in a monogamous relationship*
Head Nurse
0 likes
I've been in the position of having my then bf meet his ex fuck buddy. It didnt end well for us.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Let's say you are in a relationship with a girl. She used to have a fuckbuddy and occasionally she still talks to him/texts in a casual way. You've heard some of the sex stories related to this guy and they were pretty intense. No hooking up is going on currently though and your relationship is solid, as far as you know.

Would it bother you if your girlfriend met up with this guy for casual drinks when he's in town (just as buddies - no fucking), or would you feel uncomfortable with this. Would you rather not know about it?

And would you feel differently about it if it was an ex-boyfriend rather than a fuckbuddy?

If I can answer this in the case of a bf, well the answer would be that I'd be fine if it was a fuckbuddy. The point about fuckbuddies is it's just sex and you usually use them when you're not in a relationship.
As far as an ex bf goes then I wouldn't be happy but I'd keep it to myself.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Saying he's just a friend now... NO! Not that they can't be friends, but it's only okay if I go along or its with a larger group of friends.

I also I don't do that to her. I used to be fuck buddies (friends-with-benefits) with her best friend, who is also married now. We as couples are very close friends, but I don't do the lunch thing or anything with just her.

However a couple handles this, they should be on the same page with it and they should expect equal behavior and tolerance from each other.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Personally, I'd like to meet this person, ex or FB, I've heard so much about.
If they made my girl happy I'd shake their hand and buy them a drink.

Then if they wanted to be alone, I'd wait for her to return home, horny as hell and fuck our brains out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but relationships are built on trust so I'd say nothing.grIugTI9LRR8tA8A
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
been there and done it.....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

This is a tough one to answer for me as I am kinda going through this now. though the person my girlfriend is going out and doing some casual things with, used to be her sisters boyfriend from highschool, (they are still friends). I am actually pretty cool with this, she has a right to have friends, both male and female, but sometimes it feels as though she is not very honest. Like how she communicates with her ex boyfriend through facebook, but does not bother to give the relationship courtesy of telling me and deleting the messages, which in my view, really have nothing more than common chit chat. I am not sure if it is just me being a bit jealous of their friendship, or if I feel a bit threatened because they seem to have a lot of the same interests. Her and I have had, for some time now, a very difficult time communicating with each other on most aspects of our relationship. I think a biggie for me has to do with the lack of communication about any form of attraction to others. we are all attracted to others in some way, shape, or form, its just that wonder of if attraction might turn in to action. I find myself feeling very insecure about this. So when she goes out to the movies with this person, then texts me to say she is going over to her best friends house for a bit, but then does not come home til the next day, I find myself wondering if anything more than platonic might be might be involved these outings. There are many things I could go on and on about in our relationship that has to d with both of our insecurities. I will say I guess it just depends on the stability, trust, and most importantly, the communication of the relationship. which her and I are obviously lacking!! Sometimes I really would like to see how she would react to me doing this, or seeing how insecure it might make her!! I hope that what I said here makes sense to whoever reads this post. I am not very well at expressing my feelings on paper... a lot better at voicing myself. I also apologize for completely over answering this topic, but it has been a bit therapeutic to get it out. to answer more thoroughly, no I would not mind, as long as the intentions are brought forward and yes I would want to know!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i wouldn't be cool with that.

just as she wouldn't be cool if i still kept in touch with my former gfs/booty calls i'd imagine.

also skimmed over your stuff and her staying over for the night is a huge red flag. seems like she doesn't respect you, either. i don't see this ending well. wish i could have been more helpful but that's my gut feeling.
Lurker
0 likes
I wouldn't try to stop her. Everyone has a mind of their own, and if you have to forbid someone from doing something then they will probably end up doing it anyway.

I wouldn't be happy if a girl tried to stop me from seeing another girl just because I've fucked her in the past, either. Things like relationships cannot be forced, and without trust you can't really talk about a 'solid' relationship.

But yeah, it would probably be interesting to meet the guy, and see for myself what exactly is it that made her so attracted to him.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Begs the question why would she tell you of her sexual experiences with her Fb, unless she was doing on purpose to get a reaction out of you to validate your relationship.

If she is still contact with him, so what? Does not mean to say that every area of her life is open to you, but she probably should have kept him quiet in the first place, I once mentioned to an ex that a guy before him was quite well endowed OMG, how I wish I had not as he never shut-up about it.

Experience is a wonderful thing!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Saying he's just a friend now... NO! Not that they can't be friends, but it's only okay if I go along or its with a larger group of friends.

I also I don't do that to her. I used to be fuck buddies (friends-with-benefits) with her best friend, who is also married now. We as couples are very close friends, but I don't do the lunch thing or anything with just her.

However a couple handles this, they should be on the same page with it and they should expect equal behavior and tolerance from each other.

Saves me typing.

But for me I even think how "friendly" past boyfriends or sexual partners are can be tricky. Being civil and an occasional "hey what's up" might be ok, but other than that, if you are with someone new.......... your past relationships should stay there.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I dont necessarily have problems with them being friends, talking, texting and the like... Now if she wanted to go have a drink with him? Why am I not coming along with her? The fact she wouldnt invite me sends up a huge flag... If they are just catching up or hanging out, there is no reason why I couldnt come along... If me being there makes him uncomfortable, that should be an issue for her... I should be #1 in her world, as she would be in mine...
I also think the two of them having a couple of drinks is asking for trouble... We all know the dangers of alcohol and inhibitions... Add to that the fact you have a sexual history with someone... The ease to slip back into bed together "for one last fling" is just a feeling away... How many times has a kiss goodbye turned into a raw, passionate moment?
I guess what I am saying is there is no reason to tempt fate, irregardless of how much she may feel in control of the situation... It wouldnt matter if it was just a fuck buddy or an ex-boyfriend and as far as not knowing about it at all?? Well to me, thats just trying to hide something from me... Which is only going to lead to thinking there is a reason she was trying to hide it from me...
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Lurker
0 likes
An unqualified NO. My first girlfriend went home for the summer and her first boyfriend stalked her until she took him back. Then she cut me out of her life forever. She eventually married someone else. Really, I never have trusted women again. That is beyond sad and I may edit it, but it explains my intense loathing for the book "Forever," which is almost exactly replicates her and my romance.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LondonTzarina
Begs the question why would she tell you of her sexual experiences with her Fb, unless she was doing on purpose to get a reaction out of you to validate your relationship.

If she is still contact with him, so what? Does not mean to say that every area of her life is open to you, but she probably should have kept him quiet in the first place, I once mentioned to an ex that a guy before him was quite well endowed OMG, how I wish I had not as he never shut-up about it.

You can tell a boyfriend a lot of things about an ex but never mention that he had a bigger cock, that's just asking for trouble.
Junk jealousy is a serious business!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm protective, not jealous. I go shooting with my wife's ex. Nuf said.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
An ex-fuckbuddy wouldn't worry me all that much. It's rare for me to be jealous of other guys sexually, so I wouldn't feel any inadequate or fear that my girlfriend might miss her 'intense sessions' with him. To me, this guy would just be a casual friend which she happened to fuck with a few times. I wouldn't really bother if she went out for a drink with him without me being there either. It would only worry me if she started seeing him very often, say much more often than her other friends.

An ex-boyfriend would be a different story for me. Generally with a boyfriend there's a greater level of complicity involved. If a girl started seeing her ex-boyfriend again, that would mean that this 'complicity' still exists between them somehow. Either she's done with her past relationships or she's not. That surely would warrant a serious discussion with me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I wouldn't object. I don't see such a big deal about it.

She doesn't stop me from (socially) seeing my ex wife.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
An ex-fuckbuddy wouldn't worry me all that much. It's rare for me to be jealous of other guys sexually, so I wouldn't feel any inadequate or fear that my girlfriend might miss her 'intense sessions' with him. To me, this guy would just be a casual friend which she happened to fuck with a few times. I wouldn't really bother if she went out for a drink with him without me being there either. It would only worry me if she started seeing him very often, say much more often than her other friends.

An ex-boyfriend would be a different story for me. Generally with a boyfriend there's a greater level of complicity involved. If a girl started seeing her ex-boyfriend again, that would mean that this 'complicity' still exists between them somehow. Either she's done with her past relationships or she's not. That surely would warrant a serious discussion with me.

I see we think alike.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Interesting posts so far! It looks like there's a wide variety of opinions on this one.

I know a lot of people say they are always 'friends' with their exes - in fact when people break up, that's often seen as the positive way for things to end: "hey, it didn't work out, but let's stay friends." Inevitably one (or both) people get into relationships with others again so I wonder how couples handle that - keeping all these friendly exes in the peripherals of their lives.

I haven't stayed friends with any of the guys I've had major relationships with, but I have with 'casual dating/sex' guys and fuckbuddies - not a lot - just a couple. On rare occasion, especially if they don't live in the same city, I've never given a second thought to the idea of casual drink to catch up. Technically it's a bit of an awkward scenario though because if you're in a relationship, you want to be totally transparent but also not make it a bigger deal than it is. Maybe calling the current BF (or GF) as you're ending the drinks with the ex-FB might help alleviate concerns? Just so they know you're heading home, your night is over, and you've been a good girl.

I can see the introduction thing being the right move if this fuckbuddy/ex is in your life on a semi-regular basis but if it's a very rare occasion that you chat with the person or grab a quick drink, I think it would be extremely awkward to randomly invite the BF along - it just changes the dynamic, especially if they've never met. To me, it also makes it feel like he doesn't trust me so he's there to chaperone.

I have been in relationships where my boyfriend would meet an ex-gf who was in town for drinks or even a casual dinner (again, verrry rare). Actually the same guy did this with a couple of ex-gfs. I may not have been overjoyed about it (I mean, who is, right?) but I definitely didn't say anything about it. It actually didn't bother me all that much - I didn't think I had anything to worry about at the time, it always ended early and he always ended the night with me. If my relationship was unstable, I think it would bother me much more.

Anyway - thanks for the comments so far. I do think that trust plays into this quite a bit, as well as knowing your partner. Maybe if you're in a relationship with someone that's got a more reckless vibe or you know she gets a little overly flirty, slutty and out there when she's drunk, I can see being a bit more unsettled about the whole thing.

Also - if any girls are reading this and want to answer from their perspectives (either straight or lesbian), please feel free to add your thoughts or opinions! smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by LondonTzarina

Some guys actually enjoy hearing all the wild and dirty stories from your past - in detail. It turns them on. Some guys don't. I've always let the guy decide on that. I'm always up for sharing - I get off on hearing about his past too, but I keep my mouth closed until the guy pushes me to spill the kinky stuff and let's me know he wants to hear it.

I never mention dick size though. I think that's the golden rule, no matter how much sharing you enjoy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would feel very uncomfortable with it, especially if it was a fuckbuddy.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Some guys actually enjoy hearing all the wild and dirty stories from your past - in detail. It turns them on. Some guys don't. I've always let the guy decide on that. I'm always up for sharing - I get off on hearing about his past too, but I keep my mouth closed until the guy pushes me to spill the kinky stuff and let's me know he wants to hear it.

I never mention dick size though. I think that's the golden rule, no matter how much sharing you enjoy.

I am like that. I love hearing anything a lady wants to tell me about her past experiences. This was before the conservatives turned AIDS into an epidemic but one dear lady in my life had twenty lovers (two were husbands) before me. I could never get her to spill the dope on her husbands ( she said she felt bad enough that she married them in the first place). She did however tell me that once (when she was eighteen) she fucked her boyfriend's room mate simply because his room mate wanted to fuck and her boyfriend wasn't home. Or another time she fucked a different BF's identical twin just to see if they were really identical...of course said twin told the BF and that was that for the relationship.

But yeah if she wants to tell me I'll listen...and to all of the details. How big was his cock? did you blow him? was he as good as I am with the tongue? Etc. etc.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I know a lot of people say they are always 'friends' with their exes - in fact when people break up, that's often seen as the positive way for things to end: "hey, it didn't work out, but let's stay friends." Inevitably one (or both) people get into relationships with others again so I wonder how couples handle that - keeping all these friendly exes in the peripherals of their lives.

I guess the terms boyfriend/girlfriend can hold different connotations depending on the person(s). For some it means they had hopes to spend the rest of their lives with this person, for others it only means that they were 'exclusive fuckbuddies'.

Myself I see girlfriends as 'very special girls' with whom I share a very rare and unique complicity, though often times I kinda knew things would end up at one point or another and that we wouldn't spend all of our lives together.

I never saw any point in going the 'let's stay friends' route, even though my relationships ended up fairly well. I already shared what had to be shared with these girls intimately, so what would have been the purpose of keeping them just as friends? That simply would have been very awkward for me, especially if I met another girl. To me, it seems that people who keep their exes as friends simply aren't completely certain if their relationship is over or not, and want to keep them around 'just in case'.

Hence why I would be worried about a girl meeting one of her ex-boyfriends...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

I agree with this, if you make it a large social occasion it doesn't seem so threatening as friends with benefits tend not to act like couples in public places, they arent likely to sit reminiscing about those particular occasions. Relationships are built on trust and loyalties, there will be a doubt or jealousy but if the trust is there it shouldn't be an issue.
Lurker
0 likes
Usually I move on. I had a girlfriend from out of state, she was working at my place of work. She volunteered to drive down weekly as she worked for a supplier. They paid her expenses plus salary. We had weekly visits in her hotel room until she was no longer coming to our factory. We had changed suppliers and with that, she vanished from my life, only to show up on Facebook. What the hell, we're friends and nothing comes from it. That's o.k., but others that live around, no.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Depends on the ex. I'd probably be cool with it. Even if I were uncomfortable, I'd let it happen. Trust is important.

I am still casual friends with several exes, though it's mostly a FB/email thing, since they don't live near me. My gf is utterly unbothered, and I like that she has that kind of absolute trust in me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Last Saturday I was over at the ex gf for supper. We still have business together an occasionally socialize after ending a sixteen year live in relationship. Also present was her ex husband #2 and a old friend & co worker with who she'd had a brief affair. The last brought his current gf who my ex gf has known for over a decade. Could have been awkward, but I never felt it.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I have had dinner and drinks with exes that I've kept in touch with. So has my wife. There's nothing sexual about it. Neither of us wants to get back together with any of our former partners, and we both trust in the strength of our relationship, so it's not really a big deal to meet and catch up with people from our past.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Marx Sister
0 likes
Well, even in a monogamous setting, no, I don't think this would bother me at all. To be fair, I am in a variety of poly relationships, so I may or may not be the demographic you're interested in hearing from. It has not bothered me when I have been in a monogamous partnership, though.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers