Australia has bid $50bn to buy New Zealand

last reply
52 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
It's a beautiful country, and the people are lovely, but are there lots of resources there or something?

Queenstown is amazing for skiing.

Do we have any Kiwis here who know more about this story?
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by nicola
It's a beautiful country, and the people are lovely, but are there lots of resources there or something?

Is it worth it?

I can't see what Australia could gain from it to be honest.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen

Is it worth it?

the film industry, because of Weta and Peter Jackson is really taking off, plus it's a hot tourist destination.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I am from New Zealand... think this is so funny... they would not get us... not for sale...
Lurker
0 likes
We should really push for this deal. Does that price include the snow?
Lurker
0 likes
It was an April fools joke... The indigenous people would never allow it.
Lurker
0 likes
Classified
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen

Is it worth it?

Culture?
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Frank

Culture?

not to mention, respect biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by CrystalNZ

Do you really think it's a joke?

Hey you two we are culturally respectful!!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Check the date above all of the posts please. Anyway I doubt we have a spare $50 bill. lying around. And we wouldn't be able to deport all the kiwis working here illegally if we owned NZ!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Bipeep
Check the date above all of the posts please. Anyway I doubt we have a spare $50 bill. lying around. And we wouldn't be able to deport all the kiwis working here illegally if we owned NZ!

Why check the date?
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by Bipeep
.......Anyway I doubt we have a spare $50 bill. lying around. And we wouldn't be able to deport all the kiwis working here illegally if we owned NZ!

NZ owns Antartica right? Antartica has vast oil and gas reserves. Makes sense now to me,
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen

NZ owns Antartica right? Antartica has vast oil and gas reserves. Makes sense now to me,

Does that mean if Australia buys NZ that we get Antarctica thrown in as well?
Wine Connoisseur
0 likes
Why would Australia want to buy New Zealand for $50 billion? They had another major earthquake again yesterday. Two more major earthquakes and both islands will disappear into the Pacific Ocean. Then Australia does their money cold. This is typical of our government led by Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey; they haven't got a brain between them, and they spend money like there is no tomorrow.

As it is, over half of New Zealanders have resettled in Australia already
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TraceyAmes
Why would Australia want to buy New Zealand for $50 billion? They had another major earthquake again yesterday. Two more major earthquakes and both islands will disappear into the Pacific Ocean. Then Australia does their money cold. This is typical of our government led by Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey; they haven't got a brain between them, and they spend money like there is no tomorrow.

I see your point. We already have half the tenants of NZ here anyway... but we would still get Antarctica right?
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by TraceyAmes

I do believe that it was Kevin Rudd's idea in the first place. Julia Gillard threw out the idea when she became PM. Looks like Abbott has picked it up now.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by trinket

Does that mean if Australia buys NZ that we get Antarctica thrown in as well?

Looks like it. That's why the price is so high.
Classified
0 likes
Quote by trinket
Hey you two we are culturally respectful!!

Very well phrased!

Quote by CrystalNZ

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Lurker
0 likes
My bid is higher anyway. They haven't got a chance.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by trinket
Does that price include the snow?

Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by nicola

It doesn't really matter if they buy New Zealand or not. When His Royal Majesty Simon Abney-Hastings, by the grace of God, King of England, Scotland, Ireland, Prince of Wales, Defender of the Faith, comes into his rightful throne, all these little countries will come under the crown again, along with the former colonies in the Americas and the subcontinent. He has the votes in Parliament now to toss out the pretender Elizabeth and take his crown.

Aside from which, I suspect that the Aussies will have spent the fifty billion on beer by the time an agreement is reached. These things never work out.
[url]http://[/url]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
the last thing i and a few others heard about australia is that country is nearing the point of bankruptcy, so i wouldnt bother with news like this
(hope this comment doesnt offend anybody, if so i apologise)
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by cockupmyass7926
the last thing i and a few others heard about australia is that country is nearing the point of bankruptcy, so i wouldnt bother with news like this

I wouldn't go as far as to say that bankruptcy is just around the corner but they are facing recession this year. The problem is that the price of iron ore has plummeted because their main consumer, China, is facing it's own economic crisis. Growth is falling. It's quite ironic in a way because when the West was going through it's own recession the Far East economies were doing very well. Now we are coming out of recession into growth and they are facing recession.

For those who are into stocks and shares go by the old adage.... 'Buy the rumour, sell the fact'
Lurker
0 likes
Thats a bit of a drastic move to get the rugby world cup. We also have many mineral resources here, but the country also has a lot of natural untouched land that no kiwi would ever allow them to touch. Was just an April fools joke that people took serious. Besides Aussie would not ant to keep paying our the local iwi's for the land stolen... they would end up further in debt.

Aotearoa not for sale smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by cockupmyass7926

Australia is actually doing better than most of Europe ans America. And strategically speaking holding New Zealand and maintaining close ties with PNG would make us a little island fortress. ;)
Don't let them haters get you down. You are you. And YOU are beautiful!

Latest: My Oddesy 2 - Liam
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
And also NZ doesn't own Antarctica. Several countries own slices of Antarctica. Both Australia and New Zealand own sections. If Australia did 'purchase' we would then own a larger slice than we already did. (Australia already has the largest section of Antarctica)
Don't let them haters get you down. You are you. And YOU are beautiful!

Latest: My Oddesy 2 - Liam
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Yayyyy! Weren't these two on the top 3 list of countries with happiest people??? smile))
"Some say love
It is a razor
That leads your soul to bleed."