Story length

last reply
9 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sensual Hobgoblin
0 likes
How do you feel about the length of a story that could be posted as one long read that would approach the 10,000 word limit as compared to breaking it up into 3 or 4 shorter chapters? Do you think readers have a preference? Would you be more likely to read the one long one or go chapter by chapter with the 3 or 4?

A new one and an oldie. https://www.lushstories.com/stories/supernatural/erica-luca-the-legend-2 Is the new one. A super story full of great sex, with a supernatural twist, that will hold your interest (so I'm told).

Then, https://www.lushstories.com/stories/monster-sex/the-emerald-lagoon An Editor's Pick from a comp a couple of years ago.

If you enjoy either, please comment. My ego needs a boost, ha! Thanks.

0 likes
Depends on the story. If the flow allows breaking it up and it makes sense broken up, the break it up. That would work if it was kind of episodic and each scene naturally stood on its own.

Sometimes, though, a long story is just best left as a long story unless you're starting to broach that 10000 words limit. That would be a case where there is a fair bit of "flow" and development as the story moves from scene to scene. Breaking it up in that case might leave the shorter pieces feeling kind of incomplete or choppy.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I don't think there is an rule or guideline or even a consensus. Every reader is different. Some won't get into a long story at all, and others won't want to bother with something short (and I think most readers in this category are those - who seem to be in the decided majority - that prefer well-developed stories with a plot that makes sense and characters that are deep and real).

I think the biggest factor in whether or not someone is going to read a story is category. If the story is in a category that is of interest then someone will read it, and if it's not then they are much less likely to get into it regardless of length or how it's presented.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I must admit that I prefer longer rather than shorter. Too short and I'm left wanting more.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
It's been my experience that while there are exceptions, a 9999 word story will get more views and votes if broken down into shorter chapters. There's no hard and fast rule. It's the author's call.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by dpw
I must admit that I prefer longer rather than shorter. Too short and I'm left wanting more.

Wrong thread, man... we're discussing stories in this one.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Oh, shame on you, WMM. After I struggle so hard against the bad angels of my nature and resisted the temptation to make some lewd and/or rude, possibly even crude comment only to have you swoop in and do the dirty deed yourself. As the psalmist said, "Oh, Lord, but it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way." ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

Wrong thread, man... we're discussing stories in this one.

I was talking about the ones with a happy ending!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I too prefer stories that are developed over quickies. If it is broken up into chapters, I will read the chapters when I only have 15-30 minutes (approximately). If I have all day or an hour or more I'll read a good long story. I do the latter a lot more. One thing to consider is that some members have to print off stories, so that may affect their decisions and perhaps the writer's on length. That said, story length is not my ONLY criterion for deciding what to read.
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I was talking about the ones with a happy ending!

So's WMM.