How to tie a necktie.

last reply
10 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Too many grown ass men don't know how to do this. These step by step instructions are pretty simple to follow.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nice - when tying a full windsor, to get your tie to hang at your belt line here's a neat trick. Standing upright place your tie around your neck and let the wider side hang down so that it touches the tip of your middle finger. Once you learn the knot with correct tension it will work almost every time! Nothing worse than seeing a man dressed in a nice suit and his tie is above or below the belt line. Also in most cases the shorter side of the tie will slip into the slot on the back!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just a little story about why I clicked on your post: My nephew was about twelve when he asked my uncle to tie his tie for him. My uncle told him to lie on the floor and he would be happy to. My nephew was a little confused, but did as he was asked. My uncle tied his tie perfectly. When he asked me later why he had to lie on the floor I told him that Uncle Howard was a mortician and only knew how to tie a tie on the dead. He was mortified, but we now love to laugh about that day.

Thanks for reminding me of that story.
...I thought that maybe a new life, a different life, wouldn’t be so bad. But where the hell did I put the receipt, and could you return something that was over twenty years old? Where do you go to get a new life when your old one has you so puzzled you don’t know how to fix it? Wish I knew.
-Anita Blake (Laurell K. Hamilton)
0 likes
I use a full Windsor the rare times I wear one. Hate the things with a passion, though.

My son is an air cadet (youth program run by the Canadian military) and they wear a tie as part of their full dress uniform. They gave them a sheet with two of these (the exact same diagrams, I think), the four square and the Windsor. He was using full Windsor since that's the one I know but he might have switched since, as the piece indicates, the four square is easier.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I wear a tie to work Monday though Friday, so I usually tie a Four-in-a-Hand, but sometimes tie a Half-Windsor. I prefer smaller knots. I do have to tie the bow tie occasionally. I only wear a bow tie with a tuxedo. Since I don't tie that as often, it usually takes 2 - 4 attempts before I get it right.
Lurker
0 likes
I love to tie a man's tie or watch him do so.
Lurker
0 likes
I love it when men wear ties, white shirts, well pressed suits
Lurker
0 likes
half windsor is my jam.
Lurker
0 likes
Jeez, I didn't even realise there were that many.

I'm now digging through my boxes of crap for my old school tie to have a go!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Eldredge Knot is a pain in the ass to tie. Unless just the right width of fabric is involved, the end result ends up looking far wider and more obtuse than it does in the drawings/pictures. It's not uncommon for part of the intricacy of the knot to wind up hidden beneath the collar. I normally just do a simple Four In Hand because it is quick to tie, more appropriate for the thinner-width ties (which are half of the ones I own), and easily loosens and tightens back up should things turn slightly more casual.

Although, it would be beneficial to learn some more of the knots by heart. I suppose I just need to start attending a greater number of formal functions just so I have an excuse to practice more.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Lurker
0 likes
I wear a suit and tie every day. Half Windsor always with an indent in the tie just below the knot.

Ties are becoming a lost art. They look classy if worn correctly. I hate to see those who are forced to wear them, it shows in the way they tie them and they way they wear them. Make it look good!