Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

50 Shades Of Grey - what was all the fuss about?

last reply
29 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi all
Just finally got round to reading 50 Shades. What's all the fuss about? It's not all THAT rude and the writing isn't as bad as all the hype said. Would love to know what anyone else thinks !
Lurker
0 likes
I didn't make it to halfway. I found it dull. It was an effort to stir up enough interest to turn the page.
(Fifty Shames Of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin [aka Andrew Shaffer] was more up my street, but I didn't get much beyond halfway with that either).
Lurker
0 likes
I found the male character unbelievable and the rest of the book somewhat tedious. While I did finish it, there's no way I'd read the next two.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
One of my moderator colleagues shared this YouTube video the other day.

I couldn't stop laughing

Lurker
0 likes
I read them all to see what the hype was about, I was hoping I'd finally get to the good part. For me it was akin to a soap opera, but with lots of sex and bdsm. I found the story predictable with unbelievable characters and situations; it left me with a "meh" kind of attitude. It was much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.
0 likes
Right off, in all honesty I wondered about the title. I understand the title now but still disliked it because it always made me think of some silver-haired charmer-gentleman or old man. It is not a sensual title to me. This is no novel concept but I did not care for the characters. I am into BDSM and even with my less than tenured knowledge I am not impressed with anything about it. I am a hard sell though. 'Just seems like a yawn fest.

I think it is just as bad as the worst critics have said, actually... sorry.
It is just my opinion. Some like it and some think nothing of it, nothing positive anyway, and I am the latter. I do not regret my decisions not to waste my time on it. and I am not into the way she paints the D/s relationship either. Everyone is different, but that does nothing for me.

Lurker
0 likes
When you look at the number of people that join these sites, it would be fair to say that as world-wide sites, they are not that heavily attended. Most of our parents do not access these sites so something like 50 Shades was something erotic that maybe sparked the sexual taste buds into life.

I believe the few comments on here so far were made by young adults who are already enjoying extremely erotic story telling, so in turn 50 Shades would probably seem tame. If 50 Shades had been written as erotically as the stories on here, then it probably would not have sold as well or been as popular. The fact that it was erotic without going too far allowed the books to receive more open coverage.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I personally loved all the books, and re read them a lot... all the action, they way they connect, I love it... brings some excitement into your life even for 5 minutes in a busy day.... like every book tho its not for everyone.. but you always get that....
Yes im the small bitchy chick in the corner, set me off and man do you know about it !!!
Lurker
0 likes
My wife read all 3, mainly because they got her all hot and bothered and she wanted to see what the fuss was about. I read just the first book. It was mildly arousing to me, nothing to get too horned up over. Unlike you, I did think the writing was horrible! She recycled way too many phrases over and over. There are a lot better things to read on Lush and Literotica if you just want to be stimulated sexually. I didn't bother with book 2 or 3. No need.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I too thought it rather tame but also poorly written. I have also seen much better stories on the internet. However, she was in the right place at the time with her publication and it has made her and her husband very rich.

The other positive side to this is that it has helped make this genre of erotica more popular and, I am sure, encouraged more authors and readers alike to join sites like Lush.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Lurker
0 likes
Oh God. I couldn't make it past the first two chapters. So dreadful!

But! No matter how bad the writing was, I think people liked the tragic romance aspect to it...and that once it became popular enough it just sort...went viral and there was pleasure in knowing that SO MANY women were reading the same thing. Kinda made it a legitimate sorta smut.

But it was so crappy, ugh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have read all the three, and owing to the fact that I am a die hard romantic, I wont criticize it, infact I still read some parts of it when I want to.

But yes, I will admit, it is written poorly, repeating expressions way too much. Also, in my view, many authors here write much better.
Lurker
0 likes
I read all three and was not impressed at all. I found Christian to be completely unbelievable. When you're into something like that, you're not going to give it all up for someone you've only known for a few weeks.
Lurker
0 likes
I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to say my piece.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey.

Now the sex scenes; the first one is tolerable, but as the book goes on, they're so unbelievable and become more laughable than erotic. Ana orgasms at the drop of a hat and it seems that she's climaxing on every page.

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read all three and enjoyed them
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I read the books hoping my wife would pick them up and read them. I thought there was some pretty good sex in the book, but I didn't really care for the rest of the plot and had a hard time with things like the valedictorian of her college class not having email. My wife read the first book and then stopped. She didn't really care for them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My best friend read the books and loved them, so I tried and I just got bored. Sex parts were good, but that's about it.
Lurker
0 likes
I haven't read any of them, sorry
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
They should call it Fifty Shades of Throw-That-Shit-Away-and-Go-Buy-Some-Anais-Ninn.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I almost feel like I should read it, just to see how bad it is.
0 likes
I never made it past the first 100 or so pages of the first book, and the only reason that I own the trilogy is that I collect first-edition, first-run, signed books, and E.L. James happened to be present, on tour when I was at a local bookstore, so I bought the first one, and then the second and third when she came back.

Two reasons I don't like the book(s): One, it's set in Seattle, a place that E.L. James knew only from Google Earth and Wikipedia and whatever other secondhand information she could glean from whatever sources she gleaned them. She never actually set foot in Seattle before publishing the first book, and that really grates on me; there are so many little subtle things missing from her description of the city (or present in her description, that don't exist) that it made my head hurt. Two, as previously mentioned by other posters, the writing is...well, it's not bad, but I found it difficult to get into the female protagonist's head, maybe because I was bothered by the aforementioned descriptions of Seattle, I don't know, I just couldn't do it.

I tried, I really tried to like the books, skimming all three, but I just couldn't. Kind of like the "Twilight" series, I just get hung up on the details, or lack thereof, in the description of the locations involved, because I've lived somewhere in either the Lower Mainland or Seattle my entire life.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have read all three, and I enjoyed all three. I re-read them once in a while, and I will be doing so again soon before the movie comes out. The writing isn't the best, no. But, that didn't keep me from loving the series. In fact, there is almost never a book that I won't finish. I live in Washington, and I even grew up in Forks, the setting to the "Twilight Series", so the description of the city of Seattle and surrounding area was a bit annoying. I found Christian Grey to be a lot like Edward Cullen...which was weird...But, oh well... I still loved both series. smile

I am not a great critic, because I find the good in everything and it usually overshadows the bad. I am also easily pleased and entertained. (which maybe why I can attain the "Anastasia multiple orgasm"?)

Please check out my stories. <3
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
I never made it past the first 100 or so pages of the first book, and the only reason that I own the trilogy is that I collect first-edition, first-run, signed books, and E.L. James happened to be present, on tour when I was at a local bookstore, so I bought the first one, and then the second and third when she came back.

Two reasons I don't like the book(s): One, it's set in Seattle, a place that E.L. James knew only from Google Earth and Wikipedia and whatever other secondhand information she could glean from whatever sources she gleaned them. She never actually set foot in Seattle before publishing the first book, and that really grates on me; there are so many little subtle things missing from her description of the city (or present in her description, that don't exist) that it made my head hurt. Two, as previously mentioned by other posters, the writing is...well, it's not bad, but I found it difficult to get into the female protagonist's head, maybe because I was bothered by the aforementioned descriptions of Seattle, I don't know, I just couldn't do it.

I tried, I really tried to like the books, skimming all three, but I just couldn't. Kind of like the "Twilight" series, I just get hung up on the details, or lack thereof, in the description of the locations involved, because I've lived somewhere in either the Lower Mainland or Seattle my entire life.

Lol, only knew from Google earth. very nice. But that book gives me good memories.
Someone has to be the Villain
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz
One of my moderator colleagues shared this YouTube video the other day.

I couldn't stop laughing

LMAO That Gilbert is funny. The only thing I could think of that would be funnier, would be James Earl Jones reading it.
Lurker
0 likes
Ticket in hand!!

I'm about to find out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I haven't read any of the books and probably won't. But I will say that watching some of the previews and all the talk about them has made me think about sex a lot more often than usual and got me to seek out and join this site. I bet I'm not alone either.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My imagination is apparently way dirtier, but the books weren't awful they just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion.
Lurker
0 likes
LOL both the books AND the movie were jokes. The movie was R18 and all I have to say is - HBO.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Agreed. I read the first book and didn't think much of it at all. Not going to bother with the movie.
Lurker
0 likes
I have read it it was ok my fave is the this man serises over 50 shades but I love my trash novals curvy temptation was a lot more descriptive and hotter than 50 shades with lots more bondage