Story not showing up when logged off

last reply
18 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I submitted my story "The Secretary and The Student" on May 11 around 5pm. I did a small edit and it was resubmitted. No problem with that.

First thing, when I am not logged on, my story is not showing on page 2. It should be between "Michelle's sexual awakening" by RobertL and "Alone he stands" by LittleRed .... when I log on, it is there. What is going on with this???

Secondly, two comments on my story have been "undefined" .... what is that???

Anyone else finding that their story is not showing on the pages when logged off?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
I submitted my story "The Secretary and The Student" on May 11 around 5pm. I did a small edit and it was resubmitted. No problem with that.

First thing, when I am not logged on, my story is not showing on page 2. It should be between "Michelle's sexual awakening" by RobertL and "Alone he stands" by LittleRed .... when I log on, it is there. What is going on with this???

Anyone else finding that their story is not showing on the pages when logged off?

I just had a look at this on my account and it appears fine on page two whether I'm logged in or not.

It actually sits in between 'Michelle's Sexuality Re-awakened, Ch 1' and 'Mark And The Busty Djinn' on my screen.

Can't imagine why it would disappear on yours when you're not logged in. Have you tried checking the site from a different web browser, or clearing down your cache?

Failing that, maybe a PM to Gav.

Re: the 'undefined' comments - I believe that was down to a bit of a server blip the other day.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

The "undefined" comments appear to happen when the setting to require a comment to score is enabled. I had the same issue a few weeks ago, but as I was toying around with different settings so much, it didn't occur to me then. It was only last evening that I scored on a story and noticed the "undefined" text in the popup there. I've already notified gav with my news on the issue, as we had been in contact about it before.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
On second thought... the reason your story was not visible for a period of time was the fact that you resubmitted it with some edits.

Stories that are awaiting re-approval are not visible on the site until the changes are verified by a moderator. When they are re-approved, the story will slot back into the story list on the front page in the correct position based on its published time and date.

Your story re-approval, from submission to verification, took approx one hour based on the log.
0 likes
Quote by Liz
On second thought... the reason your story was not visible for a period of time was the fact that you resubmitted it with some edits.

Stories that are awaiting re-approval are not visible on the site until the changes are verified by a moderator. When they are re-approved, the story will slot back into the story list on the front page in the correct position based on its published time and date.

Your story re-approval, from submission to verification, took approx one hour based on the log.

Thank you Liz for whatever you did when you checked.

Let me assure you, my story was not on the front page after re-submitting it. I just checked my emails now (to verify the time I received the second approval) and .... the email from "Simply Sweet" is no longer in my inbox. Wonder why??

I resubmitted my story after removing the word "Of" in the first paragraph. It took about 2 hours to get the re-verification email from Simply Sweet. When I checked my page, it was showing, but it was not on the main page of Lush. I thought it would take a bit, but ..... when I checked 3 hours later it still was not showing. Approximately 5 hours after my last checking, it was not on the front page or on page two, yet it showed on my page and in the MILF category of stories.

So where was my ghost story for approximately 8 hours???

I signed in shortly before submitting the OP here, and the story showed up. I logged off, and it was NOT there.

You may think my story was showing, but I can tell you, it was not. I do not think it is anywhere FAIR that my story was a ghost for 8 hours and then when you did your magic it is now on the second page.

Every other writer/author here would complain that this is wrong.

Also, as I stated in my OP ... because I could not see my story logged off, I didn't know where it was. When I logged on, because I have a few categories "blocked" .... what I saw was my story between "Michelle's sexual awakening" by RobertL and "Alone he stands" by LittleRed.

Honestly .... this is not right. Every story gets it shot at being on the front page for X amount of hours. Mine, did not get the full value of being on the first page.

Based on what I saw yesterday, my story should have been on page on until pretty close to the time I posted my OP.

I am NOT happy with this.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

Thank you Liz for whatever you did when you checked.

Let me assure you, my story was not on the front page after re-submitting it. I just checked my emails now (to verify the time I received the second approval) and .... the email from "Simply Sweet" is no longer in my inbox. Wonder why??

I resubmitted my story after removing the word "Of" in the first paragraph. It took about 2 hours to get the re-verification email from Simply Sweet. When I checked my page, it was showing, but it was not on the main page of Lush. I thought it would take a bit, but ..... when I checked 3 hours later it still was not showing. Approximately 5 hours after my last checking, it was not on the front page or on page two, yet it showed on my page and in the MILF category of stories.

I signed in shortly before submitting the OP here, and the story showed up. I logged off, and it was NOT there.

You may think my story was showing, but I can tell you, it was not. I do not think it is anywhere FAIR that my story was a ghost for 8 hours and then when you did your magic it is now on the second page.

Every other writer/author here would complain that this is wrong.

Also, as I stated in my OP ... because I could not see my story logged off, I didn't know where it was. When I logged on, because I have a few categories "blocked" .... what I saw was my story between "Michelle's sexual awakening" by RobertL and "Alone he stands" by LittleRed.

Honestly .... this is not right. Every story gets it shot at being on the front page for X amount of hours. Mine, did not get the full value of being on the first page.

Based on what I saw yesterday, my story should have been on page on until pretty close to the time I posted my OP.

I am NOT happy with this.

A few points I believe need clarifying:

1 - No moderator of this website is able to delete private messages from a user's account. Even if we had the ability to do so, that would be an invasion of privacy and grossly inappropriate. That you would insinuate that we would or could in order to discredit your account of a phantom story is ridiculous and insulting. You know better.

2 - I haven't done anything to your story, magic or otherwise, nor has any other moderator. It is either verified, or it isn't.

3 - If your story was 'missing' for eight hours, surely the time stamps on your story's comments would support that fact. I don't believe that is the case. Evidently, other people could see it and comment on it. The reason you were, for a time, unable to see it when signed out remains a mystery.

4 - We do not have the ability to manually move your story back to page one, assuming that is what you are asking for here. The site is coded so that stories are automatically displayed chronologically based on a display date.

I'm not actually sure what the problem is now, at the time of writing this post your story has the highest number of votes on page one and two. I'd be pretty happy with that.
0 likes
Quote by Liz

A few points I believe need clarifying:

1 - No moderator of this website is able to delete private messages from a user's account. Even if we had the ability to do so, that would be an invasion of privacy and grossly inappropriate. That you would insinuate that we would or could in order to discredit your account of a phantom story is ridiculous and insulting. You know better.

2 - I haven't done anything to your story, magic or otherwise, nor has any other moderator. It is either verified, or it isn't.

3 - If your story was 'missing' for eight hours, surely the time stamps on your story's comments would support that fact. I don't believe that is the case. Evidently, other people could see it and comment on it. The reason you are unable to see it when signed out remains a mystery.

4 - We do not have the ability to manually move your story back to page one, assuming that is what you are asking for here. The site is coded so that stories are automatically displayed chronologically based on a display date.

I'm not actually sure what the problem is now, at the time of writing this post your story has the highest number of votes on page one and two. I'd be pretty happy with that.

For the record, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am lying.

1. Simply Sweets email is NOT in my email box.
2. My story was NOT showing while I was logged off EXCEPT on my page and in the MILF category.
3. The time stamps on my story show that you could see the story from my page or the MILF category BUT NOT from the main page.
4. Wow, I wonder if that happened to you, how you'd like that result.

Thanks for the comment about the highest number of views but my POINT was, where did my story go??

Everyone who publishes here has the opportunity for the maximum number of views by way of the first page. I feel VERY slighted ..... I don't know what happened - and I don't like that it even happened. No one should have this happen with a re-verification .... goodness. It's just not fair when we all would like our stories to reach maximum viewers .... and quite frankly, regardless of the amount of view the story has from my page / the MILF category, it would have been viewable by MANY more.

sigh

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

For the record, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am lying.

1. Simply Sweets email is NOT in my email box.
2. My story was NOT showing while I was logged off EXCEPT on my page and in the MILF category.
3. The time stamps on my story show that you could see the story from my page or the MILF category BUT NOT from the main page.
4. Wow, I wonder if that happened to you, how you'd like that result.

Thanks for the comment about the highest number of views but my POINT was, where did my story go??

Everyone who publishes here has the opportunity for the maximum number of views by way of the first page. I feel VERY slighted ..... I don't know what happened - and I don't like that it even happened. No one should have this happen with a re-verification .... goodness. It's just not fair when we all would like our stories to reach maximum viewers .... and quite frankly, regardless of the amount of view the story has from my page / the MILF category, it would have been viewable by MANY more.

sigh

I'm not sure how you would like the moderating team to proceed with an issue that:

A - Is apparently no longer an issue.
B - To the best of our knowledge has never been reported by anyone else before.
C - We can't prove ever happened.

The fact remains that no one has intentionally deleted your PM, which is what I believe you were insinuating. Furthermore, your story comments do not prove that your story was only visible via your profile page or the story category page. What they do prove is that the story was visible to other users - that's all.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

It was right where it was supposed to be. It would have shown, I'm sure, if you had clicked the refresh button in your browser. Glitches like this happen from time to time, a page gets stale in the browser cache (usually when the same page is opened more than once at the same time) and only a forced refresh or, like in your case, the passing of whatever the browser deems a reasonable expiry time, gets the current version displayed for you - this is not a thing specific to Lush, and it is something that needs special (and unpredictable) circumstances to happen. This also fits with the fact that the story was showing up in the MILF category, as this is a different page in the browser. Please take a deep breath. Exhale. Nothing really happened.
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker
It was right where it was supposed to be. It would have shown, I'm sure, if you had clicked the refresh button in your browser. Glitches like this happen from time to time, a page gets stale in the browser cache (usually when the same page is opened more than once at the same time) and only a forced refresh or, like in your case, the passing of whatever the browser deems a reasonable expiry time, gets the current version displayed for you - this is not a thing specific to Lush, and it is something that needs special (and unpredictable) circumstances to happen. This also fits with the fact that the story was showing up in the MILF category, as this is a different page in the browser. Please take a deep breath. Exhale. Nothing really happened.

exactly, it wasn't on the front page or second page until I complained this morning.

I did refresh. I SHUT DOWN my computer. I also checked via TWO different cell phones.
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I'm not sure how you would like the moderating team to proceed with an issue that:

A - Is apparently no longer an issue.
B - To the best of our knowledge has never been reported by anyone else before.
C - We can't prove ever happened.

The fact remains that no one has intentionally deleted your PM, which is what I believe you were insinuating. Furthermore, your story comments do not prove that your story was only visible via your profile page or the story category page. What they do prove is that the story was visible to other users - that's all.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this.

The point of the Lush Help Desk is to let others know of a problem.

This was a problem.

BTW .... in my , The reply from Simply_sweet was logged at 10:33 pm (PST) ..... and I did have an email in my inbox here. So .... take what you want from that statement.

At this point, as you have eloquently written, no one can prove anything is/was amiss. But, I am VERY disappointed that it even happened in the first place.
Wild at Heart
0 likes

Van Gogh, hit play then read very closely...

The organizing principle of any writing society, Van Gogh, is to be read. The authority of Lush over its writers resides in its readership. And they wanted to end the readership on the second page. They wanted to call off the reader race in favor of cooperation with the Van Gogh haters. They signed a treaty with the haters to vanish your story. They refused to acknowledge this conspiracy on May 11 2014 and they set out to withdraw from negotiations. But all of that ended on the 12th of May, 2014. As early as 10 am, they knew you were destined for more readership in Southeast Asia. Like Caesar, you were surrounded by enemies and something's underway, but it has no face. Yet everybody in the loop knows...

Everything is cellularized. No one has said, 'she must die.' There's been no vote. Nothing's on paper. There's no one to blame. It's as old as the crucifixion. A moderator firing squad: five bullets, one blank. No one's guilty, because everyone in the power structure who knows anything has a plausible deniability. There are no compromising connections except at the most secret point. But what's paramount is that it must succeed. No matter how many of your stories vanish, no matter how much it costs, the perpetrators must be on the winning side and never subject to prosecution for anything by anyone. That is a coup d'état....

They've been doing it all through Lush history. Kings are killed, Mr. Van Gogh. The front page is power, nothing more! Oh, don't take my word for it, don't believe me. Do your own work, your own thinkin'....

I would never actually testify in court. No chance in hell. No, I'd be suspended and gagged, maybe sent to a cyber institution, maybe worse, you too. I can give you the background, but you have to find the foreground, the little things. Keep digging. Remember, you're the only person to bring a trial in the conspiracy to hide your stories off the main page for no less than 8 hours. That's important, it's historic...

You don't have a choice anymore. You've become a significant threat to the national security of the Lush structure. They would have gagged you already but you got a lot of light on you. Instead, they're trying to destroy your credibility. They already have in many circles on this site. Be honest. Your only chance is to come up with a case. Something. Anything. Make arrests. Stir the shit storm. Hope to reach a point of critical mass that'll start a chain reaction of people coming forward. Then the Lush government'll crack. Remember, fundamentally, people are suckers for the truth, and the truth is on your side, Van Gogh. I just hope you get a break.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

The point of the Lush Help Desk is to let others know of a problem.

This was a problem.

BTW .... in my , The reply from Simply_sweet was logged at 10:33 pm (PST) ..... and I did have an email in my inbox here. So .... take what you want from that statement.

At this point, as you have eloquently written, no one can prove anything is/was amiss. But, I am VERY disappointed that it even happened in the first place.

Hey, VG. while i get your disappointment, this seems like a rare, one time glitch - I'll have Gav look into it, but honestly, unless it reoccurs or is wide spread, he's already got a lot on his plate. the only thing i can really do to appease you is delete your story and have you re-submit as new - that'll get it onto the front page again, but you'll also lose all votes and comments.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Code Monkey
0 likes
It sounds like a cache invalidation issue to me. When you were logged on, you have set yourself category restrictions. With these enabled you see the raw view direct from the database (as we cant cache different permutations for each user). However when you’re not logged on there are no restrictions so you get served up a cached result. This cached view is invalidated under certain conditions, such as a story being verified.

The site could not survive on a single web server servicing thousands of requests per second without some form of cache.
I’ll investigate further later on.

The two hardest things in computer programming, cache invalidation and naming things
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Hey, VG. while i get your disappointment, this seems like a rare, one time glitch - I'll have Gav look into it, but honestly, unless it reoccurs or is wide spread, he's already got a lot on his plate. the only thing i can really do to appease you is delete your story and have you re-submit as new - that'll get it onto the front page again, but you'll also lose all votes and comments.

Let's just be honest, Rach. We all know you remove stories so only yours show, because you want all the attention. That is why you're so popular here. Be real with us already. We've caught on.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by gav
It sounds like a cache invalidation issue to me. When you were logged on, you have set yourself category restrictions. With these enabled you see the raw view direct from the database (as we cant cache different permutations for each user). However when you’re not logged on there are no restrictions so you get served up a cached result. This cached view is invalidated under certain conditions, such as a story being verified.

The site could not survive on a single web server servicing thousands of requests per second without some form of cache.

The two hardest things in computer programming, cache invalidation and naming things

Do you think you can come whisper all this into my ear as I, um... well, what I'm doing is not relevant. Just whisper it to me.
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Thanks for the offer, Sprite .... but no thanks. I would be surprised if anyone would want to RE-READ it again!!
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Mr. Van Gogh.

That's MS. VanGogh to you!!

And thanks for the conspiracy theory ..... I knew something was up, cuz it wasn't my story!!
0 likes
Quote by gav

I'm just gonna say .... Thanks Gav!! You are awesome!!