Does this happen to you

last reply
49 replies
5.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Nurse
0 likes
I enjoy my daily runs/rides. (running on 3-4 days, cycle the others) I am used to the normal amount of whistles, honks, and guys hanging out the window as they drive by. However, recently a couple of different things have me wondering how many people this happens to.

Last week I had a man lean out the window as I ran across the crosswalk, attempting to flag me down. I continued my run, listening to my tunes and just thinking of my breathing. (the main attraction to running to me is that I can be alone with my thoughts and do the mental sorting that helps keep me sane) However, a half mile up the road, the same man had turned around and pulled into a drive, blocking my way and standing there. He gave me his card(which, please note future stalkers, if you are giving me a card when I am dressed to run, I don't have pockets, and any paper gets soggy with sweat)

Okay, well, I run a minimum of 3x week, times months and months times hundred of cars, so Ill take the one random outlier. But then yesterday as I was finishing my run, I noticed a guy using his phone to video me. (ick)

So tell me, am I in a sleazier area then I previously thought? Or does this happen to everyone? How do you handle it? How do you protect yourself?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This has never happened to me while out for runs. I think there are two for this: I live in a very quiet area and 2. You probably look WAY hotter than I do in my running gear.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The downsides of technology, ugh. I'm guessing you don't have your phone with you on your run, but if you do (or maybe start taking it with you), I'd whip mine out and (hopefully if you can do it in time) snap a clear pic of his face or even video and threaten him with it; saying either you'll post it all over social media saying what a scummy perv he is and what he's doing, or say your brother/brother-in-law/uncle/whoever is a cop and you'll pass that info along.
~*~*~* Only the one that hurts you can make you feel better ~*~*~*
~*~*~* Only the one that inflicts pain can take it away~*~*~*

Check out my latest story: Drawn to Addy - Part 2
Lurker
0 likes
Not while doing sports but some years ago (i was 18), while going to class once, I noticed someone staring at me strangely. I walked my usual route and after some 15 minutes, I noticed he was behind me (there was some distance) and the streets were a bit quiet. So i changed directions, walked quicker (I did not run because i did not want him to know i panicked) since I knew the city well and straight towards the police station which was very close. I think the moment i turned to the police station's street, he went the opposite way. I waited around there for a while.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Be careful, hon. People are bold, even in public. It may just be that the pervs and scaries came out this week. You can probably take care of yourself, but still, it's prudent to be safe.

Change up your running route. This may sound extreme, but I usually carry a small spray can of mace attached to a bracelet when I run outside. In an emergency situation, you don't want to be caught without options.

Just my

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Raven_Star
Be careful, hon. People are bold, even in public. It may just be that the pervs and scaries came out this week. You can probably take care of yourself, but still, it's prudent to be safe.

Change up your running route. This may sound extreme, but I usually carry a small spray can of mace attached to a bracelet when I run outside. In an emergency situation, you don't want to be caught without options.

Just my

Yea, Im changing up my pattern. (the guy who chased me down freaked me out a bit honestly ("I know you work out a lot. I see you running here all the time" what?!) Plus I always carry a(well maintained) knife in a sheath in my bra.
0 likes
You *cannot* be too careful when female and running. I run with two Great Pyrenees (think 150 lbs., each), and I've still had guys slow up in trucks and cars to either stare at me or, in one case, openly proposition me. So now I run with the dogs plus my Glock 26 in a FlashBang bra holster (bear in mind, I shoot competitively, so this isn't for everyone).
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
A little thing of pepper spray would be good to keep on you...
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

Yea, Im changing up my pattern. (the guy who chased me down freaked me out a bit honestly ("I know you work out a lot. I see you running here all the time" what?!) Plus I always carry a(well maintained) knife in a sheath in my bra.

Can you run with a pump action shotgun? Not sure how heavy they are, but I reckon that would be a pretty good deterrent.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

I probably wouldn't hesitate to show it to him if there is a 'next encounter' with this creep. I've always subscribed to the "make it plainly obvious that you see them and will not tolerate being fucked with" school of thought when being followed/creeped by somebody in public. People who mean you harm will think twice when they see that you aren't such an easy target, and people who want to furtively watch will likely have their buzz harshed by your unwillingness to be watched.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I would recommend buying something like this and having it on hand just incase. Pepperface has a wide range with different colours and even rhinestones - easy to clip onto something or put on a keychain. Also - try to vary your routine/path and the time you go out for runs. You don't want to be overly predictable incase you are being targeted over days/weeks. Too many creeps out there.

http://pepperface.com/

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Knives and pepper spray... you lot would be locked up in the UK

Cop: "Right, hands behind your back. You're under arrest."

Me: "What!? You've got to be joking. Why?"

Cop: "Carrying a concealed weapon."

Me: "A concealed weapon? It's a fucking spork!"

Cop: "Still sharp."

Me: "It's attached to a goddamn salad pot! I've only just bought it from Tesco!"

Cop: "Yeah but... you could still scratch someone with it."

Me: "Yeah, and I could kick you in the balls, too. Want to confiscate my shoes?"

Disclaimer: Not a factual account. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Knives and pepper spray... you lot would be locked up in the UK

Cop: "Right, hands behind your back. You're under arrest."

Me: "What!? You've got to be joking. Why?"

Cop: "Carrying a concealed weapon."

Me: "A concealed weapon? It's a fucking spork!"

Cop: "Still sharp."

Me: "It's attached to a goddamn salad pot! I've only just bought it from Tesco!"

Cop: "Yeah but... you could still scratch someone with it."

Me: "Yeah, and I could kick you in the balls, too. Want to confiscate my shoes?"

Disclaimer: Not a factual account. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

and hand guns. I know several people who are packing when they run.

I'm very predictable in general. I run work days before I shower and head in. The variance comes from my schedule. Ive been going different routes though now.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

and hand guns. I know several people who are packing when they run.

I'm very predictable in general. I run work days before I shower and head in. The variance comes from my schedule. Ive been going different routes though now.

Belly band style holsters are very comfortable when jogging, and can carry a lightweight .38 revolver or .380 auto quite well. You just need a floppy t - shirt to wear over it. Pepper spray is effective against most people but it takes a minute to take effect and some people are able to work through it effectively. Plus no matter what, any time you deploy spray, you end up taking a little of it yourself. It's much better than a sharp stick. A good knife would be my last choice simply because if you ever do have to use it, you have to be within touching distance of the creep. Situational awareness is your best tool. Avoid the encounter first- count on your pistol or spray to be a backup plan.
0 likes
As a male in a fairly quiet, safe part of my city, I cannot fathom that I live in a world where women have to carry pepper, knives, or even a pistol in order to safely get some exercise. Hats off to you for making the effort but, yeesh, something in our society is sure screwed up if that is necessary.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
I enjoy my daily runs/rides. (running on 3-4 days, cycle the others) I am used to the normal amount of whistles, honks, and guys hanging out the window as they drive by. However, recently a couple of different things have me wondering how many people this happens to.

Last week I had a man lean out the window as I ran across the crosswalk, attempting to flag me down. I continued my run, listening to my tunes and just thinking of my breathing. (the main attraction to running to me is that I can be alone with my thoughts and do the mental sorting that helps keep me sane) However, a half mile up the road, the same man had turned around and pulled into a drive, blocking my way and standing there. He gave me his card(which, please note future stalkers, if you are giving me a card when I am dressed to run, I don't have pockets, and any paper gets soggy with sweat)

Okay, well, I run a minimum of 3x week, times months and months times hundred of cars, so Ill take the one random outlier. But then yesterday as I was finishing my run, I noticed a guy using his phone to video me. (ick)

So tell me, am I in a sleazier area then I previously thought? Or does this happen to everyone? How do you handle it? How do you protect yourself?

It has little to do with the area, there are sociopaths like this everywhere. In the sleazier areas there are just more. Some get off on the thrill of "Capturing" her attention, her image on camera, and just leave. Others will kill you and enjoy watching your pain while you die.

Other than hiding in a box this is about the only way to protect yourself. Be ready to kill them if you have to!

I have 3 daughters and 7 grand daughters and the thought of this has frightened me so much over the years that I'm not sure why I'm not confined. I've taught every one that knowing how to defend yourself is of primary importance. Just because you "Can" kill them doesn't mean you have to, but not being able to may cost you your life.

Ask yourself whether you rather explain why you killed him than the obverse! I am entirely capable of torquing to death anyone that attacks any of my children or grand children. I do not look for that to happen so I can, I just know I can if it comes up. You should be exactly like that or you stand to be hurt very badly.

I've had to defend myself a couple of times. I was in the military and in Viet Nam and you expect it there. At about 24 I was driving back to college in Oklahoma and 5 guys tried to get my car pulled over on a dark country road between Vanita and Tahlequah one night. I didn't kill anyone but 5 rounds of 9mm directed their way changed their minds quickly. Others had been stopped and beaten, robbed in the same areas but it did not happen again after that. I guess it had an effect.

Learn to carry a baton when you run. There are many commercial ones and the ones that lengthen as you swing them are probably the best. Smaller until you need it. For me I always liked one of the small children's baseball bats. They have great balance and can do a lot of damage when used.

In business they recommend "Contingency Planning" so you have something to fall back on if needed. This is that for your life, otherwise all you have to fall back on is a coffin. If they've stalked you then NOTHING will deter them. Ask any battered woman that's just been beaten or killed by someone they've had a restraining order against.

"THE POLICE ARE INCAPABLE OF PROTECTING YOU!"

All they can do is punish them after the fact so, back to my question, who would rather have explaining it? If you don't believe this then read about the last day of John Kennedy's life.

Stay safe!
I am always a gentleman.
Lurker
0 likes
The only thing that I can say is that if someone was going to approach me that way then before I got to him I would have crossed the road and and done everything possible to avoid him and encouraging him. I don't know what the card was but any acceptance of his approach would be acceptance of him. I would entertain none of it and offer no encouragement whatsoever.
The video thing was probably just some guy who was going to say to his mates "hey look what I saw earlier - she's hot". What might be more of a concern are all the ones we don't see!

Just take routes that are populate with options of direction change should this happen again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This has definitely not happened to me ...
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by LittleLuce
The only thing that I can say is that if someone was going to approach me that way then before I got to him I would have crossed the road and and done everything possible to avoid him and encouraging him. I don't know what the card was but any acceptance of his approach would be acceptance of him. I would entertain none of it and offer no encouragement whatsoever.
The video thing was probably just some guy who was going to say to his mates "hey look what I saw earlier - she's hot". What might be more of a concern are all the ones we don't see!

Just take routes that are populate with options of direction change should this happen again.

It was a 5 lane highway, crossing the street is not an option. I did not accept his approach, he followed me in a car. I'm not entirely certain what you feel I should to have prevented it.

I have been running at a different location lately, but as this requires me to drive 20 mins, it sincerely inhibits my mileage.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

It was a 5 lane highway, crossing the street is not an option. I did not accept his approach, he followed me in a car. I'm not entirely certain what you feel I should to have prevented it.

I have been running at a different location lately, but as this requires me to drive 20 mins, it sincerely inhibits my mileage.

Hello Dianna, I wasn't saying that you should do anything to prevent it as it was not of your doing - it was just a situation that occurred which you had to deal with and did so in the way anyone else would have. You stated that crossing the road was not an option and as you didn't state why in your original post, I was just curious as to why and the reason being a 5 lane highway I now understand.
In your post you stated that you took his card which does surprise me, I would have just turned around and gone back the way leaving him standing there with his card - what was on the card by the way? I'm intrigued. Did he represent anyone like a modeling agency? Or just some guy taking a liking to you?

The other part of your thread where you asked if this kind of thing happens to anyone else? Well yes it does happen to other people but maybe in different ways. Yes that's right I said people, because women do it to men too. A friend of mine was approached while out running by a girl in her early twenties who was driving in the opposite direction. She almost caused an accident turning her car around to come back for him where of course she asked about his availability. She was quite sexual about it too I believe.

Wishing you well with more pleasant runs - Lucy
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by LittleLuce

Hello Dianna, I wasn't saying that you should do anything to prevent it as it was not of your doing - it was just a situation that occurred which you had to deal with and did so in the way anyone else would have. You stated that crossing the road was not an option and as you didn't state why in your original post, I was just curious as to why and the reason being a 5 lane highway I now understand.
In your post you stated that you took his card which does surprise me, I would have just turned around and gone back the way leaving him standing there with his card - what was on the card by the way? I'm intrigued. Did he represent anyone like a modeling agency? Or just some guy taking a liking to you?

The other part of your thread where you asked if this kind of thing happens to anyone else? Well yes it does happen to other people but maybe in different ways. Yes that's right I said people, because women do it to men too. A friend of mine was approached while out running by a girl in her early twenties who was driving in the opposite direction. She almost caused an accident turning her car around to come back for him where of course she asked about his availability. She was quite sexual about it too I believe.

Wishing you well with more pleasant runs - Lucy

I took his card because it was the afternoon on a busy road, It seemed far less confrontational to take the card, smile say whatever you can to leave, and the put the mileage between you and the creepier. The card had name and number on it, a business type card, but no advertisement that I could see quickly before I stuffed it in my sports bras and hurried away. by the time I got back it was literally disintegrated into my bra sad running at 4:30 in the afternoon in 90+ degree(f) heat will do that!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I see your situation as a crime of opportunity. Try to eliminate the 'opportunity' and do not wait for something more to happen.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Those are probably all Gator fans!!! Okay Dirty_D. You know I'm teasin'

My wife has received similar annoyances when she's out running. She's a bit nervy and has a temper, so she sometimes shoots 'em a bird. She even went jogging with a gun and holster strapped on, but discovered it wasn't too comfortable.

I get whistled at and yelled at by women too, some who yell some surprising crude things like, 'I want some of your cock!' 'Great ass!'

Definitely carry some pepper spray and not one of those wimpy little cans, get something significant. Something that could stop a grizzly bear. You never know, one of those jerks might be seriously dangerous.

Now once when I was single, a girl stopped me on the sidewalk while I was jogging and wrote her name and number on me. She was good looking, so I called her and we hooked up a few times.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Why should the victim "Run Away" instead of learning to defend themselves? What you had was a very mild "Concern?" Compared to the worst case. Again, who would you rather have explain it to the cops?

I am not advocating anything except being prepared to stand up for yourself.

THEY are in the wrong, not you.
I am always a gentleman.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart
A little thing of pepper spray would be good to keep on you...

This is better than a knife. One shot anywhere on his body and the last thing he will be thinking of is sex. Range is a good thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the old days women wore hat pins they are still available though probably hard to find. Tie your hair in A bun & use the pin to hold it in place.It's not very noticeable & easy to reach. You would be surprised how effective A good jab with A hat pin can be. Especially if you can catch him in the throat or the groin.
I wish you Good Luck & Good Aim.lXCmGOA88ShkxtyK
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by NightMan
In the old days women wore hat pins they are still available though probably hard to find. Tie your hair in A bun & use the pin to hold it in place.It's not very noticeable & easy to reach. You would be surprised how effective A good jab with A hat pin can be. Especially if you can catch him in the throat or the groin.
I wish you Good Luck & Good Aim.r71QpaUT33z0W6du

I actually have a couple pairs of sharpened porcupine quills that I wear in my hair. and they are very sharp. They easily pass through skin and muscles.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No this has not happened to me. It is not your fault - never let anyone try to make you think it is. Just another reason to be glad I live in the country, but creeps are everywhere...
I wish you, and all ladies good luck in your healthy pursuits.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LASARDaddy
Why should the victim "Run Away" instead of learning to defend themselves? What you had was a very mild "Concern?" Compared to the worst case. Again, who would you rather have explain it to the cops?

I am not advocating anything except being prepared to stand up for yourself.

THEY are in the wrong, not you.

If your post was relevant to what I suggested it was not aimed as running away, just a tactical change of direction should the option have been available. I would have thought that as far as defending ourselves was concerned - it's not much of an option for many women.

Yes I'm happy to stand up for myself but vocally only - At 4 foot seven inches tall, I cannot afford to get into a physical conflict with a male. Neither can many other women who are just only 5 foot tall. Pepper spray and other self defense items are okay but in this day and age, many assailants are prepared for these anyway as they are so vocally advertised.

Tactics are always a better defense than conflict.
Story Verifier
0 likes
You are absolutely right.

Always do whatever it takes to escape, first, then do what you have to. Size makes you a victim in most predators eyes. They go after the sick and the small because they're weaker, easier and less likely to fight well and hurt them. Watch a big cat stalk prey, that's how sexual predators work too.

I will walk, run if necessary, and I have. I was never a "Victim" type but I have had to fight and I was very good at it. There comes a time when you can't use tactics, walk, run, fly, anything except be ready to fight.

I DO NOT advocate violence of any kind, there's to much of that already. Some people just force you. At that point the decision is not yours and the only choice you have is to either explain why you killed them or let them explain why you died. It's not always that but it is some times. If it doesn't go that far then you stand to be hurt and that's not a lot of fun either.

Being prepared doesn't mean you have to do anything but it gives "YOU" the choice to decide the outcome. I have known women your size that could easily kick my butt. It's not size, it's training.

You're either a victim or not. Your choice.
I am always a gentleman.