has anyone ever gotten the lap band?

last reply
11 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have been considering talking to my doctor about the lap band surgery and wanted to hear if anyone here has gotten it before and what you think about it.
i love dirty nasty filthy steamy hot sex!
Head Nurse
0 likes
Having dealt with bariatric patients ill give you my take.

Lap band, roux en y, ext, all treat the symptom with out treating the problem. I find that those patients are the hardest to take care of because they rarely want to take responsibilities for their actions.

Read up on the side effects. Read about the diet you will have to follow. It is not just a cart blanch; its not even just you are less hungry; you have to restrict what you eat. and making the stomach pouch smaller doesn't make you want those foods less. It just makes them more dangerous to you.

For many if they just abided by the may have/cannot have list alone they would loose weigh. It is always preferable to diet modification and exercise to a surgery. Also the cells that make the wall of the stomach are some of the squishiest, with some of the highest ability to reproduce. So even if you have any of these procedures done they will modify, and allow you to continue to over eat.

True story: as a new grad I has a patient who had bariatric surgery. As a celebratory meal after her release from the hospital, the husband, kids and, and herself all went to a steakhouse for dinner. She ruptured her stomach (emergency surgery) and then contracted one of the many hospital acquired viruses, in this case a narcotizing fleshitis.

I thought about it. There is something attractive about the idea of relative ease with weight lose. But in the end I lost my extra weight by slowly modifying my patterns and meals.
0 likes
No. I haven't. I have had friends do the lap-band though. I still struggle to do things the slow and natural ways, thinking that will be the healthiest and most effective with the least amount negative in the long run. I have had quite a few friends have had the lap band procedure done, and I have seen some very unappealing and hazzardous effects, and a couple of them almost died from complications. This is why I am not considering anything like this, personally. I understand the desire. Some people may have had no problems, but I have not seen this, only the not good. I also know my friends have to eat tiny bites and very very slowly... they also do not look good or healthy, as if one extreme to another. More have had serious problems that I know. Sorry, my experience seeing things and what friends have told me has been more deterring to me. It does not seem worth the risks, as for what I would do.
Lurker
0 likes
No but I'm due for a lap dance
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by jeremiahbull
No but I'm due for a lap dance

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I didn't get the lapband because one can control the amount of saline that is filling it. I had the Roux n Y. Although many complications followed I became a healthier more active person because of it. A friend of mine did get a gastric sleeve and has had remarkable success without complications. With any weight loss surgeries one has to completely change their way of life. Exercise and healthy eating must accompany any procedure.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by boundtight76
I didn't get the lapband because one can control the amount of saline that is filling it. I had the Roux n Y. Although many complications followed I became a healthier more active person because of it. A friend of mine did get a gastric sleeve and has had remarkable success without complications. With any weight loss surgeries one has to completely change their way of life. Exercise and healthy eating must accompany any procedure.

Hence my opinion. Why chance the complications of the surgery if what you need to do is change your routines?
0 likes
As Dirty_D said, the Lap Band and/or roux-en-y procedures only work as well as the patient is able/willing to follow post-op procedures, which are incredibly strict. If you can't follow the strict rules of a diet and exercise regiment, what makes you think that you would follow the post-op procedures, for the rest of your life?
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One of my closest female friends had it done and I've been able to track her progress since the surgery. She's still overweight. I've known others and while an exceptional few probably NEEDED it done(>500lbs), the rest were too lazy to get off their asses and exercise and lacked the motivation to stop eating crap food all day long.

If one doesn't have the will to get fit without it, what makes you think they'll have the will to change their lifestyle after they get the surgery? It shouldn't be treated as a first step solution. There are NUMEROUS success stories of people losing 100+lbs just through exercise and proper nutrition.

More power to the people that go through major surgery to have it done, but it doesn't solve the real problem at hand and that's the individual's lifestyle. You can toss all the hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, genetic imbalance mumbo jumbo at the problem you want, still doesn't change that those are EXCUSES.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I actually use to work with patients who had the many forms of gastric bypass surgeries and I attended classes that explained each procedure and who it was best suited for. The lap band is a procedure for someone who is already active and has a pretty healthy lifestyle. This surgery only helps you loose around 10% of your current body weight. The lap band does nothing to restrict the size of your stomach only restricts the amount of the bite you take. It makes the neck of the stomach smaller therefore you have to take smaller bites and completely chew your food, however you will not feel fuller faster since your stomach is still the same size.

Also many of my patients complained of a discomfort after the surgery from being able to feel the band. I would never recommend this surgery to anyone. It seems like a waste of time and money if you ask me. You can easily achieve a 10% weight loss by incorporating the lifestyle changes that would be required to be successful after the surgery.

If you decide to have any procedure, I'm not sure the amount of weight you desire to loose, the sleeve seemed to be the better option for the majority of my patients. I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey!
Lurker
0 likes
My friend got it done a couple years ago and it worked out great for her. The important thing to remember is to take it easy during the recovery period and to exercise regularly as well as eat healthy and the foods they spefically tell you too when you are in recovery. I think it's a personal decision and just do whatever makes you happy and remember your beautiful just the way you are.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
A friend of mine had it done a few years back and she's still overweight. In fact I can't really tell the difference in her appearance.

I can't comment on what or how much she's eating at home, but when we have lunch together, she'll eat no more than a quarter of her meal before she says she's full and can't eat anymore. Watching her tentatively pick her way through it like she's walking through a minefield, it doesn't look like fun.

As others have said, I think the key to success is focussing on the cause rather than a medical quick fix. Best of luck either way.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.