The Lone Score of 3 or Lower

last reply
51 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
No...this is not an angry low score rant.

Hey guys! I'm here to talk about something that I find a bit troubling. Look, I know this is the internet and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but as far Lush goes; I'm finding more and more well-received/well written stories I'm reading with only one low score of 3 (meaning it's just average) or lower. Y'all know what I mean (a story could get nothing but 5s and a 3 comes). I'm truly starting to believe that this is being done out of spite or trolling because I even saw a wonderful story that gotta Recommended Read get hit with a 3.

Give me some feedback guys...as Lush authors; what do y'all think?
Lurker
0 likes
Everyone doesn't have to like everything.
I actually feel that people are too nice when it comes to scoring on sex story websites - Some are scoring on arousal and overall pleasure derived. Others score on friendship basis. Other score based on quality and error free stories.

Very few people give their genuine opinions if that opinion is negative (and a 3 isn't really a negative - it's just 'this wasn't quite my thing')

Now - go to Amazon and publish a story. There - that stings. I wrote my novella and an online friend read it and scored it with 3 stars - but then gave a review full of positives. So I didn't even know how to take it. 3 stars but it was GREAT? LOL

So - whatever. Lift the rug and sweep it under.

Lush is a very author-friendly and writer-positive place, honestly. It was a bit difficult for me to publish my work at places like All Romance - or even post it for critical critique at a writer's workshop - and then see the real opinions come through.

But I'm an author - and I need these critical elements to improve my writing (That's why I actually sought out a good writing community - so I would have unbiased opinion on the quality of my work - I've benefited from it 100%).

So trolling? No - just a few HONEST people who don't happen to like a story here or there. And that's FINE - that's how it's supposed to be.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
Everyone doesn't have to like everything.
I actually feel that people are too nice when it comes to scoring on sex story websites - Some are scoring on arousal and overall pleasure derived. Others score on friendship basis. Other score based on quality and error free stories.

Very few people give their genuine opinions if that opinion is negative (and a 3 isn't really a negative - it's just 'this wasn't quite my thing')

Now - go to Amazon and publish a story. There - that stings. I wrote my novella and an online friend read it and scored it with 3 stars - but then gave a review full of positives. So I didn't even know how to take it. 3 stars but it was GREAT? LOL

So - whatever. Lift the rug and sweep it under.

Lush is a very author-friendly and writer-positive place, honestly. It was a bit difficult for me to publish my work at places like All Romance - or even post it for critical critique at a writer's workshop - and then see the real opinions come through.

But I'm an author - and I need these critical elements to improve my writing (That's why I actually sought out a good writing community - so I would have unbiased opinion on the quality of my work - I've benefited from it 100%).

So trolling? No - just a few HONEST people who don't happen to like a story here or there. And that's FINE - that's how it's supposed to be.

Well said.
The problem with a critical review is you end up being blocked if the author throws their toys out of the pram.
This has happened twice to me, both Gold Members and both Gay Male stories. If you can't take criticism then DON'T PUBLISH!
As far as a low score goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I would rather have a low score than no score. At least the reader was interested enough to give a score.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Well said.
The problem with a critical review is you end up being blocked if the author throws their toys out of the pram.
This has happened twice to me, both Gold Members and both Gay Male stories. If you can't take criticism then DON'T PUBLISH!
As far as a low score goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I would rather have a low score than no score. At least the reader was interested enough to give a score.

Feel free to vote on my stories as you feel so driven. smile
Lurker
0 likes
Nevertheless, Kal-E185 does have a valid point. I have seen, though obviously not experienced this several times. Knowing the author well enough to pass comment, the reasons for the malicious scoring were then forthcoming.
As anywhere on line some nasty trolls lurk out there.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Well said.

The community-concept behind Lush makes it more delicate in some ways, I think. It's not like a book on a shelf in a store.

Yet - it never bothered me. I actually think it's interesting to see what people respond to.
There's the person who doesn't like - and will let you know (comments / votes).
There are the scores of readers who don't give feedback so it's hard to tell.
Then there are comments - and sometimes these can vary widely.

My recent story, Fine Wine, received a negative - and he just didn't like it. No big deal. That was in complete stark contrast to the scores of people who absolutely did.
Lurker
0 likes
I've gotten 1's out of spite...

One because the poem was written for someone else.

And I knew who scored it like that, because he's my friend.

And same reason for someone else I added.

I unfriended and blocked both and friended and blocked and friended the other one again.

If you deliberately give a low score out of spite, that's not cool at all.

Was going to change my settings to have to leave a comment when scoring but changed my mind.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by B0swell0x
Nevertheless, Kal-E185 does have a valid point. I have seen, though obviously not experienced this several times. Knowing the author well enough to pass comment, the reasons for the malicious scoring were then forthcoming.
As anywhere on line some nasty trolls lurk out there.

I've heard of this in other threads and think it is pathetic. It's an adult site, people should behave like adults.
When I score and comment, I do it in all honesty.
I have only scored one story as poor, that was an old story that was full of mistakes and was difficult to read. My way of scoring is to start with a 3 and the author has to earn the extra points. This is done through style, quality and how erotic a story is to me.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I know I have had a lot of very low scores to some of my stories and some very negative, nasty feedback from people that don't like me for whatever there reasons.

I will block if I'm insulted or if I see a pattern of people who just low vote me out of spite.

I don't mind if people don't like, but if I have 35 votes of a 5 and somebody gives me a 1-2 there is something wrong with that. I understand if you don't like it. But a 1-2 seems rude with no email as to why you have given such a low score. I'm just an amateur writer. Feedback is critical for my growth. A score does not tell me what I did wrong.

I love to write, I certainly have a lot to learn but it is a fun hobby. I've met some wonderful people on this site who have helped and guided me with my work.

The moderating staff also will help you whenever you need help. I feel my writing has come a long way. A lot of moderators have helped me. Given me tricks to help me with poetry. Given me information to read on how to write stuff. I'm thankful for that.

I understand people don't like my work and that is fine. I'm not going to be insulted or part of score bombing. Sometimes I will put forced commenting on. Other times I will remove the score all together.

If your on the top lists sometimes people will just low bomb you to keep you off.

This is just my situation with scoring and negative feedback. I am lucky that I have people that enjoy what I write. I have the best readers ever. Thanks to all the moderators who have helped me along my way.

Xoxox
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

Feel free to vote on my stories as you feel so driven. smile

I did. You wrote a great story in that category.

This is an adult site, I want adult stories. I don't want a children's story spiced up for the adult market, that won't cut it with me.
Lurker
0 likes
"A 1-2 seems rude with no email as to why you have given such a low score."
~Mysteria27

This is my main reason for starting this thread. everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but when you give a well-received/well written story a low score with no explanation or private message to the author it comes off as spiteful. Thank you, Lady M!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart
I've gotten 1's out of spite...

One because the poem was written for someone else.

And I knew who scored it like that, because he's my friend.

And same reason for someone else I added.

I unfriended and blocked both and friended and blocked and friended the other one again.

If you deliberately give a low score out of spite, that's not cool at all.

Was going to change my settings to have to leave a comment when scoring but changed my mind.

Well I think that is nasty. People should grow up!
Scoring should be based on the quality of the work. With the present standard set so high by the mods, nobody should get scored a 1. That doesn't make sense, it would have been rejected.
Personally, I find poetry difficult to score and especially score low. A poem affects people differently, readers see different meanings in the same line. We put our own interpretation on the writing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Kal-El85
"A 1-2 seems rude with no email as to why you have given such a low score."
~Mysteria27

This is my main reason for starting this thread. everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but when you give a well-received/well written story a low score with no explanation or private message to the author it comes off as spiteful. Thank you, Lady M!

If there's no explation given, then I agree.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
I know I have had a lot of very low scores to some of my stories and some very negative, nasty feedback from people that don't like me for whatever there reasons.

I will block if I'm insulted or if I see a pattern of people who just low vote me out of spite.

I don't mind if people don't like, but if I have 35 votes of a 5 and somebody gives me a 1-2 there is something wrong with that. I understand if you don't like it. But a 1-2 seems rude with no email as to why you have given such a low score. I'm just an amateur writer. Feedback is critical for my growth. A score does not tell me what I did wrong.

I love to write, I certainly have a lot to learn but it is a fun hobby. I've met some wonderful people on this site who have helped and guided me with my work.

The moderating staff also will help you whenever you need help. I feel my writing has come a long way. A lot of moderators have helped me. Given me tricks to help me with poetry. Given me information to read on how to write stuff. I'm thankful for that.

I understand people don't like my work and that is fine. I'm not going to be insulted or part of score bombing. Sometimes I will put forced commenting on. Other times I will remove the score all together.

If your on the top lists sometimes people will just low bomb you to keep you off.

This is just my situation with scoring and negative feedback. I am lucky that I have people that enjoy what I write. I have the best readers ever. Thanks to all the moderators who have helped me along my way.

Xoxox

Two stories read:
One comment, one score and I will openly say it was a two. I got blocked!
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Two stories read:
One comment, one score and I will openly say it was a two. I got blocked!

I removed the block.....but you did insult me saying I wrote like a childlike gay author. Not the nicest comment. But, it's your opinion. I wrote a fantasy story and I wanted it to have a romantic feel to it. Most of my readers enjoyed it.

I'm trying to write in every category and I was very nervous about that category. I wanted it to be a fun loving story. Win some lose some. It's not going to ruin my day.

Hopefully the next time you read a poem or story of mine you might like it. Hoping you have a lovely weekend.

Xoxo
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27

I removed the block.....but you did insult me saying I wrote like a childlike gay author. Not the nicest comment. But, it's your opinion. I wrote a fantasy story and I wanted it to have a romantic feel to it. Most of my readers enjoyed it.

I'm trying to write in every category and I was very nervous about that category. I wanted it to be a fun loving story. Win some lose some. It's not going to ruin my day.

Hopefully the next time you read a poem or story of mine you might like it. Hoping you have a lovely weekend.

Xoxo

I read the bi story and enjoyed it. Maybe, because I am gay, I tend to be more critical in that category.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I read the bi story and enjoyed it. Maybe, because I am gay, I tend to be more critical in that category.

Like I said...I was a nervous wreck writing it. I'm glad you liked the bisexual story.

Xoxo
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
But a 1-2 seems rude with no email as to why you have given such a low score. I'm just an amateur writer. Feedback is critical for my growth. A score does not tell me what I did wrong.

I've always found it interesting how people want an explanation for 1-2 or maybe even 3 scores while I hardly ever see anyone wanting an explanation for a 4-5 score. I mean I get the whole 'Tell me what I did wrong' thing, and a 4-5 indicates that you did nothing wrong. But we all know that's not always the case. People track down low scorers all the time. It's rarely from a place of 'Tell me what I did wrong', and it's more along the lines of 'How dare you?!'

It's the main reason people don't vote honestly because people seem to feel the need to track them down seemingly for advice for improvement, but it's mostly to argue how their story was good. Some people are receptive to criticism and feedback, but a lot of them aren't and just think that they are. Others don't even like feedback unless it's positive. And they choose to gripe or make excuses and say things like, 'It's a sex story, who cares if it's good? At least I wrote something.' or 'I'm not here to impress anyone, I'm just doing this for me.' I'm talking SERIOUS denial. If that were the case they wouldn't puff up with pride at every high score and gripe and whine about every low score.

Everyone reserves the right to vote a story a 1 or 2 without having to engage in some back and forth as to why they did so. But that's seldom the case. And with the Timeline feature, it makes it even easier for authors to track people down and harass them about their scores.

And I get it, some people abuse the scoring system. I myself received a 1-vote from someone simply because she doesn't like me and needed some way to get back at me. I laughed my ass off, and then sent her a message thanking her for taking the time to read my measly poem and score it, although I highly doubt she even read it. I still laugh about it...hard. It's fucking hilarious. I could have gone the 'Give me feedback, why did it suck?' route but I just don't care about those things. There are always gonna be people who low-vote out of spite and have a chip on their shoulder. But in the grand scheme of things, what are you gonna do?

If I were an actual real-deal writer, I wouldn't lend much credibility to ANY score that was without feedback, whether it's a 1 or a 5. To hell with numbers, tell me what you think. If you don't do that the first go-round, I'm not gonna go through the effort of making you do it and I just won't give much regard to your scores in the future. It's really that simple.

It takes a lot of guts to provide a score less than a 4 because rest assured an author is gonna contact you, and more likely than not words will be exchanged. And some authors block low scorers and feel justified in doing so, but that's just not being honest with yourself. Accept a score for what it is and work on self. Always the best way to go.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by Dani

I've always found it interesting how people want an explanation for 1-2 or maybe even 3 scores while I hardly ever see anyone wanting an explanation for a 4-5 score. I mean I get the whole 'Tell me what I did wrong' thing, and a 4-5 indicates that you did nothing wrong. But we all know that's not always the case. People track down low scorers all the time. It's rarely from a place of 'Tell me what I did wrong', and it's more along the lines of 'How dare you?!'

It's the main reason people don't vote honestly because people seem to feel the need to track them down seemingly for advice for improvement, but it's mostly to argue how their story was good. Some people are receptive to criticism and feedback, but a lot of them aren't and just think that they are. Others don't even like feedback unless it's positive. And they choose to gripe or make excuses and say things like, 'It's a sex story, who cares if it's good? At least I wrote something.' or 'I'm not here to impress anyone, I'm just doing this for me.' I'm talking SERIOUS denial. If that were the case they wouldn't puff up with pride at every high score and gripe and whine about every low score.

Everyone reserves the right to vote a story a 1 or 2 without having to engage in some back and forth as to why they did so. But that's seldom the case. And with the Timeline feature, it makes it even easier for authors to track people down and harass them about their scores.

And I get it, some people abuse the scoring system. I myself received a 1-vote from someone simply because she doesn't like me and needed some way to get back at me. I laughed my ass off, and then sent her a message thanking her for taking the time to read my measly poem and score it, although I highly doubt she even read it. I still laugh about it...hard. It's fucking hilarious. I could have gone the 'Give me feedback, why did it suck?' route but I just don't care about those things. There are always gonna be people who low-vote out of spite and have a chip on their shoulder. But in the grand scheme of things, what are you gonna do?

If I were an actual real-deal writer, I wouldn't lend much credibility to ANY score that was without feedback, whether it's a 1 or a 5. To hell with numbers, tell me what you think. If you don't do that the first go-round, I'm not gonna go through the effort of making you do it and I just won't give much regard to your scores in the future. It's really that simple.

It takes a lot of guts to provide a score less than a 4 because rest assured an author is gonna contact you, and more likely than not words will be exchanged. And some authors block low scorers and feel justified in doing so, but that's just not being honest with yourself. Accept a score for what it is and work on self. Always the best way to go.

I agree with you. But, there are people on here that don't even read the stories and just give you a 1 to be mean an spiteful. I have also seen new accounts being set up to just score one story and they never log on ever again.

There is a lot of crap that goes on here with scoring and with nasty and rude comments being put on some stories.

I guess if you are not having it done to you then it wouldn't affect you as much.

I know on other sites there is voting where it is just Anonymous.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27

I agree with you. But, there are people on here that don't even read the stories and just give you a 1 to be mean an spiteful. I have also seen new accounts being set up to just score one story and they never log on ever again.

There is a lot of crap that goes on here with scoring and with nasty and rude comments being put on some stories.

I guess if you are not having it done to you then it wouldn't affect you as much.

I know on other sites there is voting where it is just Anonymous.

I know all of this goes on. Even with measures in place to catch rogue voting, there are ways to dupe the system and some things slip through the cracks. But that's all the more reason not to pay much attention to scores without feedback.

And it has happened to me before, it just doesn't affect me.

But seriously, why would anyone care about a one-shot account whose sole purpose of creation was to low vote a story one time? It's annoying as fuck, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't speak of your writing. It speaks of someone else's pettiness, and there's not much stock in pettiness, is there?

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by Dani

I know all of this goes on. Even with measures in place to catch rogue voting, there are ways to dupe the system and some things slip through the cracks. But that's all the more reason not to pay much attention to scores without feedback.

And it has happened to me before, it just doesn't affect me.

I just enjoy the views and the feedback. The scoring is all relative. But, it just gets annoying when you have like 35-40 votes in and then somebody comes in and gives you a 1. I mean that surely is mean spirited. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

xoxo
Clumeleon
0 likes
Sadly, in my experience, authors don't ACTUALLY want to know why I felt their story deserved less than a 4.

Everyone claims to want constructive criticism, but they really just want people to blow smoke up their ass. Comments of mine have been labeled as negative and unnecessary when all I did was offer an opinion on how the story might have better captured me. I've even seen some of my more critical comments go missing.

Now, when I leave comments, I try to focus on the specific aspects of the story that I enjoyed (there's almost always at least one thing). That way, I'm still being constructive (because if I didn't comment on something, then it wasn't an outstanding aspect of the story) but running a lower risk of offending anyone, which is the last thing I want to do.

I don't think every 1 or 2 vote is "malicious" (which, in itself, if quite a dramatic word)—sometimes people just don't like it. I would NEVER assume someone had given me a low vote out of spite. I like to think I don't do things that would cause others to act so spitefully towards me. A story being awarded an RR doesn't exclude it from low votes from others—an RR is awarded by ONE person.

Bottom line, though, is that some people are cunts on the internet. You just gotta take the good with the bad, and remember that it doesn't really matter what your average score is—it doesn't actually change the quality of your story.
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
I appreciate comments on my written works, and most have been positive. I do think, as indicted in the sapient observation above that " some people are cunts on the internet" and that may have an impact on some scores, but in the greater scheme of things....WTF???
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Well, I have written a few poems here, love and erotic. Only wrote a couple of stories. I have to say, and agree with Mysteria, I too have been low bombed out of spite. I don't mind constructive criticism. But when I have all 5's, and get a one with a nasty comment who gives me a 1, and then have another of her friends chime in with a 2 and a snide comment, well, I will block you. Sorry mean girls, this is not high school. This is an adult site. Grow up. You don't have to like my work, or any authors work, but leave a constructive criticism. I have also received great tips in writing from the mods here, and from other Lushies. I appreciate that. I do want to improve, and am only an amateur trying to express my feelings in erotica. I hope that peeps continue to vote, express their feelings, and leave those important constructive criticisms. Sexy (()) and kisses on the cheek to all of you. ~~~Your Sassy Friend?
Lurker
0 likes
Interesting - Dani and everyone makes good points.

I've received some low scores and just don't care, now. I've never retaliated in any way. One time I did get hurt but that was because I published a story straight from my own sex life. LOL I think I disallowed voting for a while since I was bothered - but realized 'tough'.

Further - for really low scores it prompts the reader to tell why. I think that discourages some low voters, actually, even if they were truly being honest.

When you choose to published you must toughen up. You cannot act unprofessionally, either, in response. I've seen silly drama ensue with an author at Goodreads when she felt offended by criticism and attacked the critic. Nope - immature.

I'd say there's a problem if you see the same person do it often. But of course, yo ucan only see that if you're constantly back-and-forth checking your vote scores.
Lurker
0 likes
There are quite few threads with this subject around forum that you can find, some of them got deleted because people were too honest what they think about it. The bottom line is that Lush community is really not ready for honest voting. People have different tastes and different approach toward literature, and majority Lush authors are just not ready to hear it, which is fine. That is why I never give less than 5 no matter how bad the story is, if it is really unreadable, I just don't leave my mark on that story. I have no intentions to pop someones bubble with that, I keep my brutal honesty for the forum.

Maybe those 3 loners are honest opinions from new members who still don't know how things work around here?

I am not writer, although I did published few poems here just to keep circle complete and give something back to Lush. Maybe because of that, my attitude towards voting is really laid back.

When it comes to commenting I admit, I don't always leave comment. I usually leave one if I am impressed with the piece or if I want to support new Lush writer.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by clum
Sadly, in my experience, authors don't ACTUALLY want to know why I felt their story deserved less than a 4.

Everyone claims to want constructive criticism, but they really just want people to blow smoke up their ass. Comments of mine have been labeled as negative and unnecessary when all I did was offer an opinion on how the story might have better captured me. I've even seen some of my more critical comments go missing.

Now, when I leave comments, I try to focus on the specific aspects of the story that I enjoyed (there's almost always at least one thing). That way, I'm still being constructive (because if I didn't comment on something, then it wasn't an outstanding aspect of the story) but running a lower risk of offending anyone, which is the last thing I want to do.

I don't think every 1 or 2 vote is "malicious" (which, in itself, if quite a dramatic word)—sometimes people just don't like it. I would NEVER assume someone had given me a low vote out of spite. I like to think I don't do things that would cause others to act so spitefully towards me. A story being awarded an RR doesn't exclude it from low votes from others—an RR is awarded by ONE person.

Bottom line, though, is that some people are cunts on the internet. You just gotta take the good with the bad, and remember that it doesn't really matter what your average score is—it doesn't actually change the quality of your story.

Clum, your comments have always been very well thought out, and I value them more for what they suggest I improve on then any "I loved it" comment. Please don't ever stop giving me your brutally honest opinion.
Lurker
0 likes
Okay guys! First off, I wanna thank all of you for your honest feedback which is greatly appropriated.

Secondly, I want to bottomline that (this is for you Clum) I can't speak for everyone else, but with my writing I take constructive criticism seriously as a tool to help me grow as a writer and don't want people 'blowing smoke up my ass'.

Lastly, we're Lush Stories; rhe new standard in erotic writing and the mods have set out to make the site great. We as authors (most of us) gave our all in the tales we write, so basically as most of you have said, "Let's just write for the love of it! Lone 3s and lower scores be damned!"
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kal-El85
Okay guys! First off, I wanna thank all of you for your honest feedback which is greatly appropriated.

Secondly, I want to bottomline that (this is for you Clum) I can't speak for everyone else, but with my writing I take constructive criticism seriously as a tool to help me grow as a writer and don't want people 'blowing smoke up my ass'.

Lastly, we're Lush Stories; rhe new standard in erotic writing and the mods have set out to make the site great. We as authors (most of us) gave our all in the tales we write, so basically as most of you have said, "Let's just write for the love of it! Lone 3s and lower scores be damned!"

Well - yeah.

It is impossible to get every single person who reads your stories to like your stories AND to feel they're 4 and 5 star worthy. If you try ot get every single person who reads your work to score wit ha 4 or a 5 you'd be horribly disapointed. It is not possible.

Some of my works here have received a lot of views - a lot of comments - and a large number of scores . . . all 5's. So - am I heartbroken and tragically hurt if someone comes along and scores me now and then with a 3 or a 1? No way - why? I was, once, but I got over it. I can take the MANY positives and appreciate that - that's what keeps me going.

Have you considered that a lot of people might start reading your story - and quit - and don't even score - because they didn't like it at all?

Haven't you ever read a story you did not like? Not even talking erotica here now - haven't you read a book or even watched a movie and you just went 'that sucks?'

That's normal, natural, and part of the writing and entertainment life. That is how it goes. You have to accept it or you will forever struggle to accomplish the impossible.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I really like this thread. Some of the responses helped me to learn a little more about their writers.

I agree with Clum and Dani, along with a few others.

I respect writers. I personally will not lie on a score or a comment. I hope people that read me don't do that as well. I get two and three's with no explanation often. I can predict who, most of the time. (Hmm, found your post very interesting.) It doesn't make me angry. I feel sorry for people who obsess over their scores. Some of the best work on this site has low scores and will never be most read. This isn't highschool and I think that it is unreasonable for you to honestly think that everyone is supposed to like what you write. I ask for input and I respect good criticism. I like to discuss my writing and others. I respond to my emails. I take it seriously and I really want to develope as a writer. I respect other good writers and enjoy exchanging with them. I find that the better writers are very open to discussion. They welcome an opportunity to discuss their scoring. They leave comments that really help. They want to discuss the good/bad/ugly of it all. Since I've been on Lush, I've seen some writers evolve because they care and listen. You can't listen to everyone, you can't care what everyone has to say. I'll read their work and weigh their words.

Some people don't want to evolve. I was pretty much told by one writer, that I enjoyed reading actually, that if I wasn't going to give her a five then don't read her or score her. I stay away from those kind of writers. They don't want readers, or good stories, they want blind followers.

I'm not a catty person, and my conscience would never allow me to insult or hurt someone with a comment or score just for the sake of that. That is low. And there are some low people here. The good out weighs the bad though. It out weighs it a lot. PM'ng is a beautiful thing when it comes to giving and getting "advice".

I've sat through plenty of writer's workshops and it can get brutal. But, that's what you sign up for. Not everyone here is trying to get that published work. Not everyone is trying to take their writing up to that next level. They are just sharing. That has to be respected too. Doesn't mean you lie to them though or that they should want you to, but respect them. That means a lot.

All of us have to do our part not to undermine the benefit of having a scoring system.
? A True Story ?