Login

Question about copyright and Amazon KDP select

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm just planning ahead here and like to be informed. I suppose this really belongs in the KDP Amazon forum but it's a little relevant here too. My question is, does anyone know if I'd be violating copyright with Amazon KDP Select if I posted a chapter of my book here before I publish the whole thing with them?

Also on the topic of copyright ... If I'm quoting a real book that exists in the world in my story and give it a citation at the end bibliography at the end. Then I'm all good right?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

If ever you sleep with the same one twice, you've sold your soul at the establishment price.

Lurker
0 likes
Who owns the copyright?

you or them?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Amazon is fine with it, as long as there is new content in your book that is previously unpublished online. They will sometimes do checks for this and will call you up on it. As long as it's one or two chapter, you should be fine. Many authors take the opportunity to do this as a teaser to draw readers into buying the complete book.

As for copyright - to be safe, you actually need permission to use the citation unless it's in the public domain, so I would avoid it if you can.

"Permissions is all about seeking permission to quote or excerpt other people’s copyrighted work within your own. This means contacting the copyright owner of the work (or their publisher or agent), and requesting permission to use the work. Most publishers have a formal process that requires a signed contract. Often, you are charged a fee for the use, anywhere from a few dollars to thousands of dollars."

Have a read through this article - it goes into more detail about when you need permission and when you don't and what is considered "fair use."

Link to Article