Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How do you interpret the term 'below par'?

last reply
12 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
I sometimes hear people saying "Oh that was a below par performance," meaning 'not very good.' But if someone is below par in golf, that's a good thing, isn't it?

So, if you're below par shouldn't that be a compliment, or am I missing something?

Danny x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

The Linebacker
0 likes
Actually it is not good. It means not as good as par, so used for something that is not as good as it should be. I know its strangely worded considering the lower a a score in golf the better.

below par

Also, under par. Not up to the average, normal, or desired standard. For example, I am feeling below par today, but I'm sure I'll recover by tomorrow . This term employs par in the sense of "an average amount or quality," a usage dating from the late 1700s.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
Copyright © 1997. Published by Houghton Mifflin.

below par
Not as good as average or normal. I feel a little below par today. I think I am getting a cold. His work is below par, and he is paid too much money.

The Urban Dictionary
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
below average
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
I sometimes hear people saying "Oh that was a below par performance," meaning 'not very good.' But if someone is below par in golf, that's a good thing, isn't it?

So, if you're below par shouldn't that be a compliment, or am I missing something?

Danny x

Par is a set standard of proficiency, representing the minimum of which a person with great skill should be capable of reaching even on a off day. I think you are confusing par with a scoring system. They are two different things. The scoring system in golf is based off a par that is set. The greater amount in which you surpass the par the better. In golf if the par is 4 that means if you are good you should be able to make the shot in 4 strokes. If you make the shot in 3 then you surpassed the par by one. In golf, meaning you took one less stroke below par to reach the goal, or you above the starndard set by one. So you're above par but in the scoring you would get -1. This acts as an averaging system built around the par set. For example, say the next shot is also a 4 but you make it in 5. That shot you were below par, but on average you are still on part. So to sum it up. If you are scoring yourself vs. a par set it is par weighed against your performance = your score. In number terms it looks like this
[(-par)-(actual performance)]= the difference from par. So now you know it is good to be above par even in golf. I'm sleepy and done with this shit.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a derivation of under Parr dating back to the 16th century.
When Henry V111 was not feeling too well, the Queen, Katherine Parr would ride cowgirl or caballera as it was then called. Thus he felt under Parr. When he was fit and resumed the missionary position, he felt above Parr!
Simples *squeak*
Lurker
0 likes
Brilliant bit of urban mythology.

She was, as I recall, the last wife.

Given that he had tertiary syphilis, if not incipient General Paralysis of the Insane (4th stage), at the time I wonder about his capabilities in that department.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Lesson learned: never use golf as a reference!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not everyone does golf and so average people will use the term as doing bad. You don't use jargon's on everyday ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Very simple "Less than would be expected"
Lurker
0 likes
I've only heard 'below par' used as pertaining to golf scoring.

In the real world here, the term is 'sub par' when refering to something as below average.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
To me it means whomever one is refering to is just not quite upto scratch as it were. For example said person did not live upto ones expectations so you therefore consider them "below par" and under achieving.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Below average. Fuck the golfers!
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
certainly below normal, average, expectations... that sort of thing. But who sets the level is another topic. Might be below someone's expectations, but above someone else's.