KickBoxing Training

last reply
8 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I've just started the KB training ... as my yoga was fine but becoming boring and I needed something more intense and quick.

I am loving it!! The sweat is intense!

Now, here's my question ..... any suggestions on the skipping part?? I seem to be quite useless at it. The rope catches my hair (put in a pony bun) then, I keep fucking hitting my ankles. It's exhausting.

I have bought a rope to practice! (Yup, practicing skipping away from the gym so I don't look so useless there!)

Any suggestions???

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
a serious reply - maybe try a little bit longer rope? also, for your hair, a light stocking cap works wonders. and just make sure you lift your feet higher. smile btw, i am seriously considering trying KB as well. i'll let you know! :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by sprite
a serious reply - maybe try a little bit longer rope? also, for your hair, a light stocking cap works wonders. and just make sure you lift your feet higher. smile btw, i am seriously considering trying KB as well. i'll let you know! :)

The rope is apparently long enough .... hahaha ... I think I am just THAT uncoordinated!! (My trainer said that lots of people have difficulty with the skipping for the first while) Hopefully practice will improve that!! LOL

Good idea about the toque (form fitting knitted cap) .... I have lots of those!! I'll look a lil hipster!! :)

Let me know how you like it, Sprite.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

The rope is apparently long enough .... hahaha ... I think I am just THAT uncoordinated!! (My trainer said that lots of people have difficulty with the skipping for the first while) Hopefully practice will improve that!! LOL

Good idea about the toque (form fitting knitted cap) .... I have lots of those!! I'll look a lil hipster!! smile

Let me know how you like it, Sprite.

mostly i need a legitimate reason to hit things/people, and yeah, make sure it's stylish :) rope skipping, for me, was an essential part of growing up, so that part will be easy (i'm hoping). it's all about the rhythm. helps if you keep a beat in your head or find a song that has the perfect beat to skip too. once you get into a groove, it's mostly about muscle memory, which comes with time. :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have been doing kickboxing for several years now and love it. I started out taking Aerobic Kickboxing for the workout but quickly gravitated to real kickboxing. When my instructor said we need to skip rope as part of the training I didn't understand why. I never was very good at it even as a kid. But it really increases your leg speed and strength as well as you balance and coordination. And not just your legs, your entire body. Now I am actually pretty good at it. After a while it just becomes so natural. I never really had problem with my hair (my feet yes, LOL) and my hair is pretty long. I just put it in a braid and its seems to work for me.

Wearing a cap is a good idea. Another thing is to make sure you have real good rope, one specifically made for speed skipping. With some practice I'm sure you will be a natural in no time.

Hope you really enjoy it. It is so much fun, great way to alleviate stress and an incredible workout. And you feel like such a BADASS too! HAHA
Lurker
0 likes
It is about a good trainer and stamina. Good luck
The Linebacker
0 likes
Practice, practice, practice... It's the timing on the jump rope. You'll get it down eventually and it is great exercise.
0 likes
Sprite's suggestions, and maybe if the toque is too warm put your hair in a chignon instead of a pony bun? I wear mine in a chignon most of the time when I'm doing anything active (no kickboxing, but shooting and--when I'm not in damn cast, as I am now--running) and I would think that might work for you, too.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Chuckanator
0 likes
Tried the jump rope for a few weeks. I found it helped my timing on the bag. My martial art is jujitsu. It require a bit more strength training.