How childish! Do you get this?

last reply
87 replies
6.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've just received my first score of one, lol.
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrance or a one off?
Do people expect every score to be a five?
Should I stop scoring on stories that I feel don't deserve a five?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Childish behavior by adults is quite common, just look at professional politicians.
Lurker
0 likes
So, answer to your all 4 questions is: Yes -high school, Yes - regular would be if people would score another author with 3 or less, Yes - they do of course, all brilliant authors, Yes - it would be easier.

Over the years here I've learned that this is just how Lush rolls. You play with it or don't but if you don't than you get revenges high school behavior. I tended to be honest I believe just in my few first scores and comments, but fast realized that I have no intention to brake someones bubbles. Now, it is much easier for me, if I manage to make it to the end, I score, 5, if I don't like it I move on. If I really like it, I leave comment.

I most definitely wouldn't pay much attention what others think in both cases, you continue with your system or change it to Lush system. Lush crowd is not Pulitzer committee after all.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw
Apparently an author took umbrage to me giving a score of three for their new story, so I get a one in retaliation.
There were some grammatical errors and mistaken use of words. The sex was unrealistic and overall, treated the reader like a juvenile, with explanation after explanation.
I thought this sort of behaviour might happen in High School, but not here. We are all meant to be adults, aren't we?
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrence or a one off?

First of all, just because you get older in age doesn't mean you get any wiser. I know I can get my feelings hurt over a slight and my first reaction is to retaliate. But I also have the self-control to avoid such a childish response. Sometimes...

The question is... How do you react to that? It shows more about your character when you have to deal with this behaviour.
Are you going to let it bother you? It obviously has, or you wouldn't be posting this in the forums. And that's ok, but my advice would be to let it go. *insert Disney music here*

I, personally, refuse to allow something like this to bother me so I don't give it much thought, but I have noticed I rarely read or score anymore.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

First of all, just because you get older in age doesn't mean you get any wiser. I know I can get my feelings hurt over a slight and my first reaction is to retaliate. But I also have the self-control to avoid such a childish response. Sometimes...

The question is... How do you react to that? It shows more about your character when you have to deal with this behaviour.
Are you going to let it bother you? It obviously has, or you wouldn't be posting this in the forums. And that's ok, but my advice would be to let it go. *insert Disney music here*

I, personally, refuse to allow something like this to bother me so I don't give it much thought, but I have noticed I rarely read or score anymore.

To be honest, I found it amusing. The reason I posted was to find out if it had happened to others.
I also wondered how they reacted if it had happened to them. You say that you rarely read or score anymore. I like to score stories that I read. I also used to comment before the changes, I can't do it on my phone. However, I do like to be honest to myself when I score.
Lurker
0 likes
A score of ONE is a Badge Of Honour!!!

(I think I have a few... And I've given one or two... But GENERALLY I only do that when I am either very drunk or very annoyed... Or both... And, sad bastard that I am, I invariably PM to apologize when I sober up/calm down...)

Not mentioning any names...

xx Steph

(Balls. Everybody's going to give me ONES now, aren't they?)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness

I am hanging out with way too nice people lately, it is obvious that I am losing my touch
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

A score of ONE is a Badge Of Honour!!!

(I think I have a few... And I've given one or two... But GENERALLY I only do that when I am either very drunk or very annoyed... Or both... And, sad bastard that I am, I invariably PM to apologize when I sober up/calm down...)

Not mentioning any names...

xx Steph

(Balls. Everybody's going to give me ONES now, aren't they?)

I've always wanted to give you one!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I've always wanted to give you one!

Ker-Ching!!!!!

LAUGHS!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SF
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Of course. It happens to everyone at some point or another.

You piss off the wrong person via the internet and they retaliate the best way they can. On Lush, it's done through story votes because the results are immediate...and obviously quite effective if this thread is any indication.

C'est la vie.

The best you can do in these situations is ignore the immature twit who chooses to lash out this way. Sure you're amused and all, but they're probably reading this thread and snickering and patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

As far as your scoring choices go, score/vote as you see fit. That's the only chance we have of keeping any integrity to this voting system.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dani

You piss off the wrong person via the internet and they retaliate the best way they can. On Lush, it's done through story votes because the results are immediate...and obviously quite effective if this thread is any indication.

C'est la vie.

The best you can do in these situations is ignore the immature twit who chooses to lash out this way. Sure you're amused and all, but they're probably reading this thread and snickering and patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

As far as your scoring choices go, score/vote as you see fit. That's the only chance we have of keeping any integrity to this voting system.

Oh dear, it seems like I've caused an avalanche. Up to three people now. I've just replied thanking them for the score and hoping that they enjoyed reading them.
At least at this rate I'll have a famous story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dani

C'est la vie.

Oh dear, it seems like I've caused an avalanche. Up to three people now. I've just replied thanking them for the score and hoping that they enjoyed reading them.
At least at this rate I'll have a famous story.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I've personally never given anyone a one before. If I think a story is that bad, I just won't bother scoring at all. Actually, I probably wouldn't even finish reading the story to bother. I never score a story if I don't finish it. Why bother? I don't see the point in giving someone a score of a one or two, if I don't like it, I'm going to simply stop reading it. I know some people will disagree with this, but I think it is kind of asshole-ish to give someone a one or two.

And yes, I've gotten a very few ones in my time. I didn't seek revenge on them. We're not in grade school.
CurlyFries
0 likes
Quote by dpw
I was wondering if this is a regular occurrance or a one off?

I have scored a few 3s and 2s with comments, but not sure if I've scored a 1.

However, I did reply to someone whining in the forums because no one read his stories and suggested that maybe he should give a little to get a little and read and comment on a few stories since he was an electorate and commentator virgin. He promptly responded by scoring one of my stories a one. Apparently, my reply to his post was not sugar coated enough. Imagine that? While I was irked at the time, I honestly can't remember the user's name and don't even know if he's still a member.

If you put yourself out there, chances are that it's going to happen to you. Congrats! Your ONE cherry has been broken!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
it used to bother me. now, i honestly don't care - it's more of a reflection on the person giving the score than it is on the story and it's not worth even a nano-second of my time, time which i'd rather give to people i actually give two fucks about. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CurlyGirly

I have scored a few 3s and 2s with comments, but not sure if I've scored a 1.

However, I did reply to someone whining in the forums because no one read his stories and suggested that maybe he should give a little to get a little and read and comment on a few stories since he was an electorate and commentator virgin. He promptly responded by scoring one of my stories a one. Apparently, my reply to his post was not sugar coated enough. Imagine that? While I was irked at the time, I honestly can't remember the user's name and don't even know if he's still a member.

If you put yourself out there, chances are that it's going to happen to you. Congrats! Your ONE cherry has been broken!

At least popping that cherry didn't hurt!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
it used to bother me. now, i honestly don't care - it's more of a reflection on the person giving the score than it is on the story and it's not worth even a nano-second of my time, time which i'd rather give to people i actually give two fucks about. smile

God, I love your posts. They always make me smile.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

ONE FUCK would be nice, Rae...

(Hi, Kay...)

xx SF
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

ONE FUCK would be nice, Rae...

(Hi, Kay...)

xx SF

Does a threesome count as two fucks, or just one?

L x
Lurker
0 likes
I think we are all writers, some more the others. Like anyplace-anytime, there are those who will underscore for no particular reason but spite. A four doesn't dill my flesh, but less, pickles my juice. If one think's it stinks, then wink and grin, but move on to another four or five.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
I think we are all writers, some more the others. Like anyplace-anytime, there are those who will underscore for no particular reason but spite. A four doesn't dill my flesh, but less, pickles my juice. If one think's it stinks, then wink and grin, but move on to another four or five.

Wise words...

I GUESS with experience, (and a degree of 'If you do that again we'll kick your ass of the site...') I've realized that there are SOME things I JUST DON'T GET... BUT, that doesn't mean that they are BAD Per Se... I just don't get it... Like I don't like SEAFOOD! (I don't...) Millions do. Are they mistaken? Of course not...

IN RETROSPECT, I THINK that voting a ONE on any story is really pure meanness. A THREE says, I SEE what you were trying to do but it didn't work for me.

There can be NO REAL REASON to vote a ONE since Lush Mods are, (among other things) QUALITY CONTROLLERS. (Quite Simply, if it's up, it has merit) so a ONE vote is probably moot UNLESS you can justify it, and even then... (It's UNCOOL!)

xx Steph
Lurker
0 likes
Welcome to the One Club..

I have gotten it once that I know of for sure. He was mad the poem wasn't written for him.

You have a Recommended Read, that's great!!

As annoying as it may be to you, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

My advice would be to block them.

I like everyones' replies.

(I think that's where I put the apostrophe.)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

There can be NO REAL REASON to vote a ONE since Lush Mods are, (among other things) QUALITY CONTROLLERS. (Quite Simply, if it's up, it has merit) so a ONE vote is probably moot UNLESS you can justify it, and even then... (It's UNCOOL!)

xx Steph

I think you are way of base here. But as well I could misread you.
What you are suggesting is totalitarianism. It is one thing to have standard quality for writers and the other thing to suggest that quality and likening is what standard for individuals (readers) should be. Beside, if 1 shouldn't be given by readers because it went through Quality Controllers, than we wouldn't have option 1 to vote to begin with. I believe that lushstories.com are trying to achieve something completely opposite what you are suggesting, however I am not helping lush with my voting system either, for now.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She

I think you are way of base here. But as well I could misread you.
What you are suggesting is totalitarianism. It is one thing to have standard quality for writers and the other thing to suggest that quality and likening is what standard for individuals (readers) should be. Beside, if 1 shouldn't be given by readers because it went through Quality Controllers, than we wouldn't have option 1 to vote to begin with. I believe that lushstories.com are trying to achieve something completely opposite what you are suggesting, however I am not helping lush with my voting system either, for now.

We SHOULD have the option to vote ONE! (I NEVER said we shouldn't!) But IF you vote a ONE say WHY you did.

(Or don't! I couldn't really care less! ARTISTS shouldn't care about votes. Only Politicians care about votes...)

And I respect your view, BTW, honest.

xx SF
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Whenever you publish something or display artwork publicly you open yourself to public scrutiny. No one likes a negatve review and sometimes it can be hard to take. Some people will react to good critism with maturity and some will whine.
Lurker
0 likes
I really don't care.

I tend to go by group consensus.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Actually, one of my least favorite features of Lush is that authors can tell who scored them with what score. This tends to lead to score inflation, in my opinion, as nobody is willing to be honest and score stories below 4 even if they are not very good. My only other experience with erotic story postings with scores (where my stories are for now, because I'm too lazy to port them) had a much greater score spread, which meant that a score of 4 was objectively good, because some stories got 1s and 2s, and the median score was close to 3. Even there, however, I hardly ever scored lower than a 3, mostly because you had to get to the end of the story to give it a score (stories might be spread out on multiple pages), and if I gave up before the end, the story was mostly likely deserving of a 1-2. Even now I still go back to "the dark side ;-)" to read stories because the 4+ stories were universally good stories. Not always without grammar and spelling distractions, mind (I think the Lush story reviewers are less overwhelmed), but good stories.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
English Rose
0 likes
I refused to cyber with someone once, in retaliation they scored 3 of my stories back to back the day after with a 1. I changed my settings after that to only allow a vote if a comment's left. It's not scores of 1 that bother me. I'm not the greatest writer in the world and I do appreciate honest and constructive feedback, but to score 1's out of spite is truly pathetic!!! I soon discovered the block button after that!!!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Charlotte_
Actually, one of my least favorite features of Lush is that authors can tell who scored them with what score. This tends to lead to score inflation, in my opinion, as nobody is willing to be honest and score stories below 4 even if they are not very good. My only other experience with erotic story postings with scores (where my stories are for now, because I'm too lazy to port them) had a much greater score spread, which meant that a score of 4 was objectively good, because some stories got 1s and 2s, and the median score was close to 3. Even there, however, I hardly ever scored lower than a 3, mostly because you had to get to the end of the story to give it a score (stories might be spread out on multiple pages), and if I gave up before the end, the story was mostly likely deserving of a 1-2. Even now I still go back to "the dark side ;-)" to read stories because the 4+ stories were universally good stories. Not always without grammar and spelling distractions, mind (I think the Lush story reviewers are less overwhelmed), but good stories.

feel free to give me whatever you want - i don't do forced voting, and i don't check up on who gave me what - that's just as juvenile as someone scoring a story low out of spite, imo.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.