Collaborations. Sharing the creative spark

last reply
26 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
If someone had told me I could 'play well with others' in the creative realm of writing, I would have scoffed at the idea. I would have sworn that my natural arrogance as a writer and my admittedly obsessive need to control every line of narration and dialog would have made me a very poor co writer. Well, I was wrong.

To date, I've written stories with Dirty_D, Poppet, Principessa, Sweet as Candy, Jayne33 and the departed Summer Jones. In each, I've found that the process was easy and painless. I've learned to adapt my style to fit theirs, and frankly, being exposed to their talents have made me a better writer. Each one has taught me things that I have been able to merge into my own style.

Most of these stories have been published on their profiles, and I'm okay with that. While I would have been proud to have them on mine, the joy of writing with each was well worth letting the stories adorn their pages. In a bit of self serving narcissism, I'm going to provide links for each.

Dirty_D and I wrote a two part story, made up of love letters shared between lovers separated by a great distance. This was romantic and beautiful, and I'm incredibly proud to have been part of it.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/syncopation-part-1.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/syncopation-the-finale.aspx

Principessa and I have now written 5 stories. They are split into two series, but share a testing of ethics and the balance between what we should do and what our desires demand. They are sexy, sweet and at times, scorchingly erotic. Writing with her had been a tremendous honor for me.
Power Play
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/power-play.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/power-play-part-2.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/power-play-part-3.aspx
Legal Intrigue
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/legal-intrigue-part-one.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/legal-intrigue-part-two.aspx

Ethan, the story I wrote with Sweet as Candy, is one of the most purely erotic stories I've ever been a part of. It contains sex in many varieties, including a bisexual, lesbian and gay climax that just about melted my screen when we wrote it. Candy was a dream to write with and is an amazing talent.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/bisexual/ethan.aspx

The above stories all appear on my co writers pages. The next two allowed me the honor of posting. The most recent was written with the lovely Poppet. Her refreshing approach taught me the value of writing in present tense and together, we created a story of a couple enjoying self pleasure together for the first time. It's romantic, loving and incredibly hot.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/champagne-for-two.aspx

The last I mention here, but certainly not last in any other way, was written with Jayne33. This is the story of a young English woman being seduced by a Hollywood producer. Or just maybe the other way around. Anyone who had read Jaynes work already knows that she is an excellent writer with an amazing flare for the erotic. This story is no different.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/a-trans-atlantic-affair.aspx

While I admit I created this thread for the self serving purpose of pimping my writing, I chose the collaborations because we have no other outlet for getting these works in the spotlight. Therefore, I invite all others who have indulged in sharing their erotic talents with others to place the results of their labor (labour) here. My hope is to see a very long line of such story links posted in the upcoming days.

Milik Redman.
Clumeleon
0 likes
I couldn't help but notice that all your collaborations have been with women, Milik. Do you think collaborating on a story with a man would bring a different dynamic to the process? Is there a reason you've never done it?

I've never written collaboratively, and I've never wanted to. I probably never will. It's not because I need to be in control, but because I can't believe that I would enjoy it. When I think about how I write, and how I enjoy writing, I just can't imagine how another person fits into that without pushing me to the point of not enjoying it.

Almost everything in my life I prefer to do alone (I can think of one notable exception), and working with others has caused me a not insignificant amount of suffering in the past. I usually end up distancing myself from the project, which isn't fair on the other person/people.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by clum
I couldn't help but notice that all your collaborations have been with women, Milik. Do you think collaborating on a story with a man would bring a different dynamic to the process? Is there a reason you've never done it?

I've never written collaboratively, and I've never wanted to. I probably never will. It's not because I need to be in control, but because I can't believe that I would enjoy it. When I think about how I write, and how I enjoy writing, I just can't imagine how another person fits into that without pushing me to the point of not enjoying it.

Almost everything in my life I prefer to do alone (I can think of one notable exception), and working with others has caused me a not insignificant amount of suffering in the past. I usually end up distancing myself from the project, which isn't fair on the other person/people.

That's a good question. I think my job as a manufacturing manager has taught me how to function in a team environment. If you have a belief in those you create with, then giving up on individual points becomes easier.

As to why my co writers have been women, I'm not entirely sure. I can say that at no time have these collaborations involved anything other than writing the story. Almost 100% is done through email or google docs. I don't want anyone thinking otherwise. That would be grossly unfair to the ladies involved.

I would have no qualms about writing with a man. So far, the opportunity simply hasn't presented itself. I think part of it is that many men would find the idea of writing a sexual story with another guy intimidating. I'm bisexual, so it wouldn't cause any 'homophobic' jitters with me.

I have recently discussed a story with a guy, but it was for a science fiction work that would be so long I wouldn't have time to do much more than advise. I may well help him write the first chapter though..

I don't think the dynamic would be all that different. There are times I've written from the female perspective and others from the male. Sometimes we have written specific sections and others we have simply picked up where the other left off. What does matter is that both patties must be willing to concede plot points, and these must be laid out in advance. If I were to have argued every time I didn't agree, those stories wouldn't have been as good. Some might never have been finished at all. Mutual respect is an absolute necessity. One advantage to me is that I often tend to get stuck at certain points in a story when I write alone and that causes massive delays. I generally spend a month or more on a single story. Melissa took three months to write. Having a co-writer means that she (or he) can pick it up and take me through those rough spots.

As Principessa and I have written so many, we have worked out a process that blends our diverse styles so thoroughly that even we would find it difficult to say who wrote what. We write the parts we feel we have a grasp of, and then allow each other to 'polish' those sections several times. That way the phrasing, verbiage and vocabulary that you see throughout is a mutual creation. Sometimes I'll see a word I wanted being edited out or replaced and that's fine. I am certain she has seen me do the same thing. In the end, the story becomes stronger for it. The amazing thing is how fast it goes. Power Play is already almost 20k words and we've done that in less than three weeks.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
As to why my co writers have been women, I'm not entirely sure. I can say that at no time have these collaborations involved anything other than writing the story. Almost 100% is done through email or google docs. I don't want anyone thinking otherwise. That would be grossly unfair to the ladies involved.

Haha. I honestly wasn't implying anything like that.

Quote by Milik_Redman
I would have no qualms about writing with a man. So far, the opportunity simply hasn't presented itself.

That's pretty much what I thought.

Thanks, Milik.
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you for that wonderful comment, Milik. The feeling is mutual. I think collaborations are a lot of fun. For me personally they spark new ideas and exciting challenges. Not everyone works in the same way and I believe they helped my writing ability. 'Ethan' was a pleasure to write. I think it made me steer from the norm. It was fun writing the bi-sexual scenes as it is not something I would have usually written about. It was a great experience.

My very first collaboration was with SydneySider on A Sweet Seduction 1 & 2 This was a first for me, very personal and intimate and it was amazing fun. Even better when making it a reality! Time we wrote a third!

Another collaboration was with Mrs Naughty Knickers herself, Naughtygrl73 on Road Trip Her flirtatious and sexy mind was brilliant and she certainly kept me on my toes.

I do believe collaborations push me as a writer. It was great fun to see how they shaped and what we managed to produce. I am very proud of them. Hopefully I have another one in the pipeline.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by clum

Haha. I honestly wasn't implying anything like that.

Thanks, Milik.

I know, Clum. I know you well enough to have no doubt. It is my own provincial thinking that required me to make that point. I'd be horrified if any of my co writers were 'tainted' by association with me in these efforts.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I, too, have written a few collaborations. Poppet is my main co-conspirator having written with her on several occasions. I enjoy writing collaboration stories and "playing off the other" writer's ideas and suggestions. It gives me a different perspective and view of the story and always leads it in new and exciting ways.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I haven't done a collaboration yet, but I have to say, the idea intrigues me. Milik and Jane's effort was an absolute cracker

While the logistics baffle me a bit, I love the idea of blending that creativity and literary talent, finding the balance between styles. As Milik says, breaking through that block.

I've got a stubborn little thorn of an opening scene that I just can't do anything with, and it's far too good to let go. Maybe a collaboration is what it needs. Certainly a better mind than mine.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
I have no collaborations...yet.

I want to but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have read all of Milik's collaborations and can testify that they are all great. I've read Sweet_As_Candy and Naughtygrl73's collaboration which is great, but need to check out her and SydneySider's collaboration.

I have written two collaborations myself. Both with DanielleX and they can be found on her page. I had an awesome time working with her.

In A Tight Spot
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/office-sex/in-a-tight-spot.aspx

and

Focused On Sex
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The one time I tried to collaborate, we couldn't even get a basic outline on paper because he was so stubborn. He actually told me, "Compromise means do it my way." Yeah. I knew it would be downhill from there. He basically told me my opinions weren't important. He wouldn't listen to a single suggestion I had about plot or character development, even though he had ZERO experience writing. He basically wanted to dictate the entire thing to me, and just have me type it for him, because he didn't want to have to do it himself. He expected me to do this for free, without any credit at all. I told him that I wouldn't do that for him, because it would have taken years to untangle the mess of his random thoughts. Then he got pissed at me like it was all my fault we couldn't get anything done. Then I found out he was a 40 year old basement dweller living with his mommy. Apparently she never told him no in his entire lifetime, so when I said no he threw a tantrum. It's sad because he really did have a great idea. He just had no people skills.

It could be fun to work with another author, or it could be a complete disaster. I think it really depends on the people involved and their general personality. Some people don't play well with others.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
The one time I tried to collaborate, we couldn't even get a basic outline on paper because he was so stubborn. He actually told me, "Compromise means do it my way." Yeah. I knew it would be downhill from there. He basically told me my opinions weren't important. He wouldn't listen to a single suggestion I had about plot or character development, even though he had ZERO experience writing. He basically wanted to dictate the entire thing to me, and just have me type it for him, because he didn't want to have to do it himself. He expected me to do this for free, without any credit at all. I told him that I wouldn't do that for him, because it would have taken years to untangle the mess of his random thoughts. Then he got pissed at me like it was all my fault we couldn't get anything done. Then I found out he was a 40 year old basement dweller living with his mommy. Apparently she never told him no in his entire lifetime, so when I said no he threw a tantrum. It's sad because he really did have a great idea. He just had no people skills.

It could be fun to work with another author, or it could be a complete disaster. I think it really depends on the people involved and their general personality. Some people don't play well with others.

You must get a lot of ideas living in a basement for years.
A vision of Anthony Perkins flashed through my mind!
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
The above stories all appear on my co writers pages. The next two allowed me the honor of posting. The most recent was written with the lovely Poppet. Her refreshing approach taught me the value of writing in present tense and together, we created a story of a couple enjoying self pleasure together for the first time. It's romantic, loving and incredibly hot.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/champagne-for-two.aspx

I am very, truly honored to have written with you, Milik. You're a wonderful writer and it was such a great story. I'm proud to have written it with you. I'm also truly excited to write our next story and see where it goes. I think between the two of us, we're going to make another magical story. I have no doubts.

Also, I don't mind you posting that one under your name as the new one will be under my name. Master Jonathan and I have written several stories together and we've always gone back and forth, taking turns posting our stories. smile
Lurker
0 likes
I have written two to this date...on several occasions I have ask if anyone would be interested in a co-authorship. I think its my style that throws people off, but unless one gets to know me they have no idea. I find it interesting to see how two minds flow the same currents and come up with a story. My only problem in patience...I have found that one's 'first' thought of a plot is usually the best. One dimensional stories to me are lame...I like a plot with some grit to it.
Lurker
0 likes
and I would like to throw my name out there if anyone is interested in a collaboration.

there isn't much I won't write.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Wilful
I haven't done a collaboration yet, but I have to say, the idea intrigues me. Milik and Jane's effort was an absolute cracker

While the logistics baffle me a bit, I love the idea of blending that creativity and literary talent, finding the balance between styles. As Milik says, breaking through that block.

I've got a stubborn little thorn of an opening scene that I just can't do anything with, and it's far too good to let go. Maybe a collaboration is what it needs. Certainly a better mind than mine.

That is actually what happened with one of my three collaborations. If a fresh breath of air is what you are looking for, I can tell you writing with Poppet brought a new perspective to my start of Crimson skies She really brought fresh life to Jess, and it would never have been published without her. I look forward to writing with her again.

MY other two collaborations were written with a sort of volley style. My very first started out as a sort of lark with my very good friend Delphi, the result is a piece that I absolutely adore. I am humbled that it was one of the earliest recipients of the Best series awards. People ask me what is my favorite piece that I have written, and I consistently send them to Settle for Nothing. Please read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

My latest collab has been mentioned here already, Synocaption. People ask me how I write, what makes me want to write and this is a perfect example. I write because somehow the idea of the story worms its way in. I had this vision of a series of letters. Milik was kind enough to suggest a love story of a by gone era and it suited the style I wanted to write. It really was something different and I loved writing it. The character worked her way into me and took control of the situation. (for those who have read it, when I did the outline, She was never going to cheat. But somehow she ended up at that party and well...) but that was what made it fun.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Buz

I have written two collaborations myself. Both with DanielleX and they can be found on her page. I had an awesome time working with her.

In A Tight Spot
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/office-sex/in-a-tight-spot.aspx

and

Focused On Sex
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

I've read these and they are terrific. Delphi and Dirty_D's Settle for Nothing was amazing and well deserving. Of the outstanding series award.

I still need to read others ones written Candy wrote. That's what makes this thread so important. It brings attention to these efforts that are otherwise so easily missed.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Wilful
I haven't done a collaborationI've got a stubborn little thorn of an opening scene that I just can't do anything with, and it's far too good to let go. Maybe a collaboration is what it needs. Certainly a better mind than mine.

My mind is in no way better than yours but if you want I can take a look.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i've done one, with Magical Felix, and it was effortless and fun. i'd love to do another, but i think i really need to be on the same wave length with the writer and it needs to be done quickly, i find that if too much time is taken working things out, the energy begins to fade for me.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i've done one, with Magical Felix, and it was effortless and fun. i'd love to do another, but i think i really need to be on the same wave length with the writer and it needs to be done quickly, i find that if too much time is taken working things out, the energy begins to fade for me.

I think if you and Liz ever did one it might burn out Gav's servers.
That means you two totally need to do it. (see what I did there?)
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by sprite

This.

I have another collaboration that I've started. I love the character, and the story, but I'm stalled through an overwhelming amount of schoolwork this month. It's going to be very hard to pick the thread when my semester is over. This saddens me because I'm a little in love with this girl sad
0 likes
I've done quite a bit of collaborative writing in my life, with a number of different processes, and I love it. It's pretty different working in a pair or with a group, in my experience but I generally say it's fun all around as long as you find well suited partners. Looking forward to collaborating on Lush. Working with somebody now, but not sure when we'll get anything up. smile
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Right now, I've got Power Play part 4 with Principessa underway and I've just started a new story with Poppet. Neither is very far along yet, but after working with both of these very talented ladies, I'm sure they will take off soon.

Once that's done, I've got three stories of my own that I've gotten more that a thousand words into and I'll probably concentrate on those until I finish them. That may be the only downside. I get so involved working with others, I don't make time for my own. Really, that's a small sacrifice when the results are as satisfying as my collaborations have been.

I'm hoping we can show enough interest in this to spark some form of support from the site. Maybe a collaboration contest could be held. I would just love that. Ultimately, I'd like all of my collaborations to appear somewhere on my profile page. I don't need the votes or scores applied to my record. Those don't mean much. What counts are views and I'd like those who visit my page to see those stories, and for those collaborations I've done to be listed on my co writers page.

I have found writing with others to be very rewarding and the stories created are very different from my solo works. I look forward to doing more as time goes on.
Lurker
0 likes
I have ask several times about sharing and exchanging...possibly co-writing. There has been a couple, but for the vast part, no response form anyone. I think I have a lot to offer, but I think many cant comprehend my works.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_Redman
Right now, I've got Power Play part 4 with Principessa underway and I've just started a new story with Poppet. Neither is very far along yet, but after working with both of these very talented ladies, I'm sure they will take off soon.

Once that's done, I've got three stories of my own that I've gotten more that a thousand words into and I'll probably concentrate on those until I finish them. That may be the only downside. I get so involved working with others, I don't make time for my own. Really, that's a small sacrifice when the results are as satisfying as my collaborations have been.

I'm hoping we can show enough interest in this to spark some form of support from the site. Maybe a collaboration contest could be held. I would just love that. Ultimately, I'd like all of my collaborations to appear somewhere on my profile page. I don't need the votes or scores applied to my record. Those don't mean much. What counts are views and I'd like those who visit my page to see those stories, and for those collaborations I've done to be listed on my co writers page.

I have found writing with others to be very rewarding and the stories created are very different from my solo works. I look forward to doing more as time goes on.

I think collaboration is an intrinsic part of creative writing, only most of the time with solo authors it's done with an imaginary reader. The reader should always be adding to the story and thinking about where the characters and plot will be heading, even if they have no control over these aspects.

I don't know how you do it but when I see two authors collaborating here I just read it as: "this is a tarted up role-play we had - you might like to read it too"

As far as the reader's concerned there's pretty much no discernible difference between a piece written by two or more people and a piece written by a single author. The only difference is that when you write with someone else you may enjoy the creative process a bit more. Or not.

There's no point in having a competition when anyone could just write a story and then just say it was collaboration with someone on their friends list. It would probably just end up being is a load of cut and paste cyber sessions put into paragraphs.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
I would love to co-write with another. If interested BB me.