Teetotallers - how do you do it?

last reply
12 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I've not been able to give up drinking alcohol for more than a month or so.

The main reason, other than social pressure / business lunches, after work drinkies etc, is food. Having a steak without an accompanying glass of Red is just plain wrong! The same goes for a nice piece of fish / shellfish / sushi with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc. That's my major failing.

How do you do it?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I come from a family of heavy drinkers and alcoholics, we all have our share of stories, struggles and successes, I drew the right cards for all types of self control (except sex), and I can go for months without drinking if I want with the ability to have or not with no need, I am so blessed!

Lurker
0 likes
Same with me run My grandmother was a heavy drinker I hardly if ever have any may beer a beer now and then or a rare glass of wine but that's about it for me. But I don't see anything wrong with a glass of wine or 2 for dinner
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Came from a long line of drinkers here too. Seen what it does to people and it scares me. I very very seldom drink. And if I do, its only 1 or 2. I just dont like the thought of not being able to control "me".
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Guess, I don't like wasting money. You don't buy booze, you rent it. And the cost of drinking plus the next morning; guess I just out grew it.

I still like a Bartle or a Mike's now and then, but a fifth + a day of bourbon - nope not happening again.

Coffee 24/7

Bat
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Same thing, family of drinkers. but, i had my own experiences to learn from before i got married, alcoholism almost took over because i was drinking heavily everyday.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Never drank alcohol since I was 24 when I got a job being on standby 24 x 7
and just never went back to it...
Lurker
0 likes
Well I think I lasted two weeks once...I love drinking lol...I just limit it to twice a week at the most lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like drinking too much to ever give it up entirely.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't drink much anymore. The older I get the more I seem to be staying away from alcohol. It probably has something to do with hangovers and noisy kids not mixing too well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
First of all Susan quoting Oscar I love it.... I drink and a lot of my family are alcos but thank god i've never had the same prob i enjoy a drink but it doesnt control me
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have 3 days off per week. Your liver can cope with the rest of the abuse
Lurker
0 likes
Kinghorn gets nuggets every Friday and Saturday night. Kinghorn does not drink during the week, and observes his 8 hour bottle to throttle rule.

Kinghorn however commences drinking at 6.50pm precisely on both nights.

Drinks only Windhoek Lager location / availablity permitting. Perhaps owing to his Viking roots.

Kinghorn is particularly skilled in dealing with waiting staff that take too long to serve drinks. Kinghorn despatches them in short order.

Kinghorn sees no reason whatsoever to alter the above. Kinghorn also goes to the gym everyday, and he does milkthistle courses on a tri annual basis.