20 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I HATE writing.

I mean I FUCKING HATE IT!!!!!!!!

(Let's not fuck about, I'm EXTREMELY good at it...)

BUT writing IS NOT like DANCING... (You can dance BADLY and it still feels good...)

Writing isn't like that...

And I'm back with my Wampyrs... (They won't go away...)

I HAVE TO MAKE THEM DO TERRIBLE THINGS!

One of My Favourite writers, Flann O'Brien, (a contemporary of Joyce but SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!) in his novel "At Swim, Two Birds" uses a device in which his CHARACTERS discuss HOW he writes them... And they are frequently NOT PLEASED... (But they HAVE to do what HE says...) He does this to comic effect, but there is a PATHOS to this also...

Last night, I discussed my dilemma at some length with a fellow writer here, (It was Mysteria27) and she made some pertinent observations that have made me see things in The Wamypyr Series that I REALLY hadn't considered... I mean, it was a WOMAN'S perspective on the story...

BASICALLY, Misty said, "You seem to think that HE is the only one who wishes he wasn't WAMPYR... Maybe SHE wishes she wasn't either?"

Ta-Dah!

But THEY ARE WAMPYR! (I know because I MADE THEM SO...)

And as I write now, they LOOK at me with sad and baleful eyes... "YOU MADE us THIS...." they say... "WE didn't CHOOSE to be this..." (And I DID!) And NOW I am going to have to hurt them TERRIBLY and some mere mortals too..... (Laughs!)

I WISH I could WRITE THEM HAPPY, but I can't....

And they KNOW this...

So as I talk to you here, in the corner of the room they LOOK at me and wait... ACCUSINGLY, expecting NO MERCY from me...

They'll get none...

And I LIKE them.

But my job is NOT to protect them, it is to WRITE them...

And THAT'S why I FUCKING HATE writing.

I NEVER meant to hurt anyone.

"Neither did WE," whisper my creations, "but you made us do that..."

I'm sorry.

"Then STOP writing us... SPARE US!"

I CAN'T do that, I'm a writer...

"Then YOU are MUCH more cruel than WE are..."

And of course I am.

xx SF
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
What he said. I have a story, it's on the blue site; Wonderland. Two girls who I love (and are very much an extension of myself) who I put through Hell and than, things get worse. It's probably one of the pieces that I'm most proud of writing. I also, at times, hate it, or rather, hate what happens in it. You know how you can tell the difference between writing a good story and a great story? Your characters become your children - you fall in love with them, they become real, and everything that happens to them, that YOU cause to happen to them, hurts. That's how you know when a story needs to be put out to read.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
What he said. I have a story, it's on the blue site; Wonderland. Two girls who I love (and are very much an extension of myself) who I put through Hell and than, things get worse. It's probably one of the pieces that I'm most proud of writing. I also, at times, hate it, or rather, hate what happens in it. You know how you can tell the difference between writing a good story and a great story? Your characters become your children - you fall in love with them, they become real, and everything that happens to them, that YOU cause to happen to them, hurts. That's how you know when a story needs to be put out to read.

Rachel Sprite, Ladies and Gentlemen... Saving Mad Irish Ass since 2009...

xx SF

(And in case that sounded FLIPPANT, I BOW to Rae as a Writer. AS SHE knows.)

SPRITE: "Steffie....... Write more IN CAPITALS!!!!!"

Me: "Fuck You Rach......."

SPRITE: "No REALLY!!!!!!! With TOO MANY Exclamation Marks and ridiculous use of periods!"

Me: "FUCK YOU!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"writing IS NOT like DANCING... (You can dance BADLY and it still feels good...)"

Perfectly stated.

And yeah, Flann O'Brien was brilliant, but you can't compare him with Joyce because Joyce wasn't really a writer. He composed symphonies.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Who choses the name 'Flann' as a nom de plume?

Isn't that some kind of sponge cake?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Who choses the name 'Flann' as a nom de plume?

Isn't that some kind of sponge cake?

Short for FLANNERY, (as in Flannery O'Connor).

Honest.

Flann O'Briens REAL name was Brian O'Nolan though... And he was a columnist under the pseudenom Myles Na Gopalleen.

xx SF

(And YOU'RE a Sponge Cake, Fairy Girl...)
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
And he was a columnist

Those damn communists are everywhere!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Dyslexic Democrat Dixie Prick.

xx Steph
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Dyslexic Republican Dixie Prick.

xx Steph

Hey, I'm not a Republican.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Hey, I'm not a Republican.

Fixed It.

HAPPY NOW you illiterate Jock Cracker?

xx SF
Prolific Writer
0 likes
What's wrong with being a Republican....

hahahhahahhaha
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27
What's wrong with being a Republican....

hahahhahahhaha

More Sass?

Alright then...

xx SF
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
It's called 'flan', is delicious, and looks like this:

Steph pretty much hit the nail on the head. My story, 'All in Time' features two wonderful characters that some of my readers really enjoy. Without detail for spoilers, I'm nearly on the verge of tears at what I know I have in store for them as the story progresses. But I think that any good writer feels that way about some of their favorite characters, because they're well-written because they ARE extensions of ourselves.

Being a writer has so much power. We create, and we destroy. It's that simple and complex. Then pen is truly mightier than the sword.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

You might not to come to my hood then.

Lmao.

Lurker
0 likes
And THAT PICTURE is of a Creme Caramel... Which is not in any way a Flan. So there.

xx Steph

Everyone: "EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! Mr Chef!"

Me: "*LAUGHS!*"

(But it is.)
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

And THAT PICTURE is of a Creme Caramel... Which is not in any way a Flan. So there.

xx Steph

Everyone: "EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! Mr Chef!"

Me: "*LAUGHS!*"

(But it is.)

Well, several restaurants are making flan all wrong then! That's what theirs look like at dessert. The one's Mum and I make at home are slightly darker, and more ... syrupy for the sauce.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Katje

Well, several restaurants are making flan all wrong then! That's what theirs look like at dessert. The one's Mum and I make at home are slightly darker, and more ... syrupy for the sauce.

Arguments with YOU now? (Take your panties off and... OH! I've seen your AVATAR...) Just like that, MISSY! xx SF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flan

(OKAY I just GOOGLED "FLAN" and this MIGHT be a language thing... BUT where I LIVE, (in the place that INVENTED the Engish Language, indeed PERFECTED it...) a FLAN is a sponge or pastry based confection with a FRUIT and/or cream topping or filling...

EVERYONE: "FUCKING PEDANT!!!!!"

Me: "THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT WRITING AND NOW IT'S ABOUT CAKES!!!!!!£

EVERYONE: "YoUr cakes are BETTER than your writing, Chef Boy..."

Me: "*OOOOOOOH!*
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Flan is an open pastry or sponge cake containing a sweet or savory filling. A typical flan of this sort is round, with shortcrust pastry. It is similar to a custard tart.

British savory flans may have diverged from the Spanish and French custard flans (also known as crème caramel) in the Middle Ages.

Entymology: The English word "flan", and the earlier forms "flaune" and "flawn", come from the Old French flaon (modern French flan), in turn from the early Medieval Latin fladōn-em, derived from the Old High German flado, a sort of flat cake, probably from an Indo-European root for "flat" or "broad"

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Flan is an open pastry or sponge cake containing a sweet or savory filling. A typical flan of this sort is round, with shortcrust pastry. It is similar to a custard tart.
/quot

Thank You.

*SMUG SMILE!*

xx SF
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Me: "THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT WRITING AND NOW IT'S ABOUT CAKES!!!!!!£

I regret nothing.