Breast Cancer Awareness Month

last reply
36 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Candyman
0 likes
In case you have forgotten, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Ladies, I hope each and every one of you takes the added time to make sure you and your female loved ones are aware of breast issues and are taking the necessary steps to check your breasts.

As a fine upstanding member of the healthcare industry, I feel it is my duty to offer my services to any female ( or male, I suppose ) who needs assistance with performing a breast exam. Just take a picture of your breasts, submit them in a reply to this post and I will endeavor to provide you with a rapid and responsible reply.

It is the least I can do for all womankind. Well, at least those who are members here at Lush.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

The Linebacker
0 likes
There are a lot of 5k and 10k charity races and walks to raise money for breast cancer research. That is a good way to help out, so sign up for a race/walk if there is one in your area.
Southern Charmer
0 likes

So I did a thing with leftlingula... 😈 Naughty people, I'm not talking about that. We wrote a story together! I'm very proud of what we've done and we would love for you to read it. It's about a husband and wife remembering who they are together. The fire, their passion, their love, her need to submit to him, and his need to dominate her. All rolled into one beautiful connection. It all started with one simple word...
Nightshade Part 1

Nightshade: Part 2

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never ever forget to check.
I had a girl friend who found a lump and we lost a lot of sleep for many days. It disappeared but not before a doctor saw it. They blamed an infected milk duct. However the Ultrasound found another very small cancer the size of a grain of rice in another area. It was not visible on a mammogram. It was removed but had she not had it checked then it could and probably would have gone undetected until it was areal problem and probably lost her breast.
She was lucky and I still have a very intact friend.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
As a lover (and owner) of chesticles, I fully support this message.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
A good friend of mine works in the advertising biz and at my suggestion he got clinics and doctors to put the word out regarding this important issue. Had I not told him it wouldn't have happened. Some of my hats have pink ribbons, it's all a reminder.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy
Never ever forget to check.
I had a girl friend who found a lump and we lost a lot of sleep for many days. It disappeared but not before a doctor saw it. They blamed an infected milk duct. However the Ultrasound found another very small cancer the size of a grain of rice in another area. It was not visible on a mammogram. It was removed but had she not had it checked then it could and probably would have gone undetected until it was areal problem and probably lost her breast.
She was lucky and I still have a very intact friend.

You have another girlfriend who found a lump, Meggsy... ME! My girlfriend found it actually, in the summer of 2008. I panicked, of course! I had it biopsied and it was diagnosed as a pea-sized fibro-adenoma - benign, thank Goddess! But my doctor wanted me to get it removed before it enlarged, when I might lose breast-mass getting it out. I was still modeling then, so i wanted a plastic surgeon to take it out so there wouldn't be a visible scar, and I had to wait 3 months till he was available, but he went in around the edge of my right aureole and within a few months the scar healed invisibly. Unfortunately, I lost my girlfriend 10 months ago, so I have to examine my own breasts now, but I do it diligently, as do my boyfriends.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

You have another girlfriend who found a lump, Meggsy... ME! My girlfriend found it actually, in the summer of 2008. I panicked, of course! I had it biopsied and it was diagnosed as a pea-sized fibro-adenoma - benign, thank Goddess! But my doctor wanted me to get it removed before it enlarged, when I might lose breast-mass getting it out. I was still modeling then, so i wanted a plastic surgeon to take it out so there wouldn't be a visible scar, and I had to wait 3 months till he was available, but he went in around the edge of my right aureole and within a few months the scar healed invisibly. Unfortunately, I lost my girlfriend 10 months ago, so I have to examine my own breasts now, but I do it diligently, as do my boyfriends.

That's very interesting because that's how the oncologist operated on her. You cannot see any evidence. I avoided using the scar because there isn't one. Hers was left breast.
During radiation therapy the radiologist could not believe there had been an operation, but she could assure her there had been. Even the doc was pleased with his own work.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
TITIES! (for Dani)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I am glad that world makes this kind of activities. In Mexico, added also prostate cancer awareness to this month.

I don't have breasts (boobs more specifically but I'd love to have) but one day felt something in that zone. Went to Dr. And some said it was cancer others that was something else. Finally, was something else but I know the feeling. Also, as some of you mentioned know some women that had this kind of cancer.

I think, it is not just to know when is the month of Breast Cancer Awareness, we need to check and make the ones we love to check too.
Clumeleon
0 likes

Although it is extremely rare (and I don't actually agree with changing the colour of the ribbon), men can get breast cancer, too. Don't let it catch you unawares.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
The scariest words in the English language are, "I think I feel something," and "We need you to come in for a 2nd mammogram." I've heard both. I know right now the American Cancer Society are running those very real commercials about the woman's reaction when she gets told or gets the call. I've heard both these phrases and both times... my world came to a screeching halt. Fear. Panic. The whole, "Why me?"

Happily... luckily... it turned out I suffer from a condition that about 50% of all women suffer from... dense breast tissue. The problems is that my risk of cancer is a bit higher. So, every year I get my breasts squished and make sure the girls stay healthy & well. For those wondering about dense breast tissue... here is a link form the American Cancer Society.

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-039989.pdf
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
TITIES! (for Dani)

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

0 likes
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but a study of over 300,000 women in China revealed that monthly breast self-exams were no more effective at finding cancer early than a yearly exam by a physician (just an exam, not by mammography or other means). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12359854

Given that I am supposed to have bilateral diagnostic (as opposed to the less-extensive screening) mammograms every six months for the rest of my life, along with transvaginal ultrasounds of my uterus and ovaries every three months, all due to my mum having had premenopausal breast cancer and being a known carrier of both the BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 mutations (Angelina Jolie had her breasts lopped off just because she carried one of those mutations), I really do not spend much time agonizing over BRCA. I deal with things as they come, and BRCA is surely coming for me.

If doing a monthly exam makes you feel more secure, great, but it's far more important that a physician or other qualified practitioner do a thorough breast exam at least once a year.

Are the monthly self-exams worth the stress that finding a lump can bring? I don't think so, but whatever. The ACS receives millions of dollars in donations every year pimping breast cancer awareness and I doubt that they're going to give up that revenue stream anytime soon. The Susan G. Komen Foundation will slap their pink label on any company's product, providing that said company reciprocates with a substantial "donation".

I may be cynical, but it seems that every store, even hardware stores, sticks pink ribbons on or puts out cheaply made pink merchandise in October and claims to be donating some small percentage of the net profits from sale of the product to whatever foundation/organization is first in line to take their money.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Clumeleon
0 likes
Wee story about a friend of mine...

Woman in her fifties, finds a lump on her breasts. No panic, but decides to get it checked by a doctor.

Ends up getting a scan and they find the lump is nothing sinister in the slightest, BUT they detect cancer somewhere else in her breasts that would never have manifested as a lump, so might have gone undetected for a long time.

She just had surgery a couple of weeks ago and everything is looking good for her. She and I see that lump as protection—it was nothing in itself, but it lead to her diagnosis and (hopefully) her recovery. She has been so grateful for that lump, and for this opportunity she has had to take on this health challenge.
Chat Moderator
0 likes

Get tested annually
Convict
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but a study of over 300,000 women in China revealed that monthly breast self-exams were no more effective at finding cancer early than a yearly exam by a physician (just an exam, not by mammography or other means). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12359854

Given that I am supposed to have bilateral diagnostic (as opposed to the less-extensive screening) mammograms every six months for the rest of my life, along with transvaginal ultrasounds of my uterus and ovaries every three months, all due to my mum having had premenopausal breast cancer and being a known carrier of both the BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 mutations (Angelina Jolie had her breasts lopped off just because she carried one of those mutations), I really do not spend much time agonizing over BRCA. I deal with things as they come, and BRCA is surely coming for me.

If doing a monthly exam makes you feel more secure, great, but it's far more important that a physician or other qualified practitioner do a thorough breast exam at least once a year.

Are the monthly self-exams worth the stress that finding a lump can bring? I don't think so, but whatever. The ACS receives millions of dollars in donations every year pimping breast cancer awareness and I doubt that they're going to give up that revenue stream anytime soon. The Susan G. Komen Foundation will slap their pink label on any company's product, providing that said company reciprocates with a substantial "donation".

I may be cynical, but it seems that every store, even hardware stores, sticks pink ribbons on or puts out cheaply made pink merchandise in October and claims to be donating some small percentage of the net profits from sale of the product to whatever foundation/organization is first in line to take their money.

I have to disagree with this and I know you are entitled to your opinion but quite frankly I think your post is irresponsible.

You of all people should know that IF a cancerous growth began at day 1 after your physician did a breast exam and you did not check your breasts every mo nth, a person could be DEAD OR TERMINAL by the time you go back to the physician a year later.

You said
Are the monthly self-exams worth the stress that finding a lump can bring?

WHAT???
Wouldn't it be MORE stressful not finding it earlier until you see your GP in 6 months time? A DAY can make a difference.

Instead of whining about the fund and the companies who promote it, why not concentrate on trying to spread the word? Would it really hurt if a few more people in the world were made aware it is a bloody good idea to check their breasts once a month?

I appreciate you have flashed for the cause on the BCRF thread, but im asking you nicely not to post this on the other thread.
0 likes
Quote by trinket
I have to disagree with this and I know you are entitled to your opinion but quite frankly I think your post is irresponsible.

It's not my opinion, it's a medical study with both a huge control group and a huge test group. Published in various medical journals. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12359854

CONCLUSIONS: Intensive instruction in BSE did not [emphasis mine] reduce mortality from breast cancer. Programs to encourage BSE in the absence of mammography would be unlikely to reduce mortality from breast cancer. Women who choose to practice BSE should be informed that its efficacy is unproven and that it may increase their chances of having a benign breast biopsy

Yes, I have very personal experience with BRCA, and yes, I was diagnosed Saturday past with yet another pea-size (by far the largest) mass in the 6 o'clock position in my right breast, by my physician. Still, I choose not to do BSE's. My choice, based on valid medical information. The overall lifetime risk of contracting some form of BRCA is 1 in 8, but the overall chance of contracting some form of it before the age of 40 is heart in 100.

Now, as for opinion, I firmly believe that encouraging women under the age of 40 to do BSE's is irresponsible and leads to unnecessary worry and fear, not to mention the biopsies mentioned in the study.

I didn't post this in the other thread because it's not necessary to double post, and because I feared exactly the sort of reaction it elicited from you. Sometimes the truth doesn't match the hype.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by trinket

Remember to take a deep breath, count to ten and calm the crazy before replying to Hera's last post trinket. If you plan to reply that is.