Comments and votes

last reply
16 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i notice many people vote but don't comment on most stories.
Do you prefer to vote or comment or both on a story.
As an author, I like both and do enjoy reading the comments.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I prefer to comment, but I almost always vote too. Personally I like receiving comments on my stories more than votes, so I figure everyone else does too. Voting on aesthetics can be kind of meaningless.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I like reading comments too as they encourage you to keep on writing and get better. Votes don't really say much other than a person has friends who like their work, or that you have a trolling stalker who doesn't like you very much and wants to cut you down but who is too gutless to actually say so.
Lurker
0 likes
I comment, post, but sometimes forget to vote. sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I vote and sometimes comment. It sounds like I need to comment every time I vote.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I vote and comment on almost everything I read. As a writer I understand how much it means to the people writing to see feedback...
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I like both commenting and voting, I also like when people vote and comment on mine.

I'd say comments are more important, but lets face it, 90% of people who comment just simply say “great work” or “got me wet/hard” or “well done, fucking amazing” which are welcomed and nice. But not many people put anything of true use to make me a better writer, to improve my skills.

I'm not asking for negative feedback, unless they think it can improve my skill, but I want to truly hear what someone thinks. Otherwise, I rather just have the score. It is basically the same thing. Giving me a 5 or telling me great job is the same thing, but in different forms.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I don't really care about votes. They are almost always in the 5-sh range (which I think is a good thing, it shows the generosity of the community on this site).

Love comments. Particularly ones that point out something specific, good or bad. One commenter caught a major flaw in Strangers where they are at the bar and suddenly are at a table, as if teleporting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I find the voting nearly useless, in part because votes are nearly always 5's. Part of the reason for this is that the author can often tell who is giving less-than-5 votes, so a lot of voters don't want to do that. I try to comment on each story I read, but don't always vote.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
0 likes
As a reader, I will normally do both. As a writer, I prefer a good comment to a simple score. More personal and maybe tells me something about what is good (or bad) about that particular story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Either are great, but one can't rely too heavily on them as an appraisal of ability.

Scores, in are my mind, are useless but at least they provide a measure of some interaction from the reader. A comment you can judge on the person who's giving it.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
I don,t normally vote because if the story is not of my particular genre I don,t feel "qualified" enough to pass judgement. I like to make comments but for some reason unbeknown to me they do not register.
0 likes
As a reader, if I make it to the end of the story, I usually vote (a five). If I really like it or think something in particular is interesting, I comment.

As a writer, comments are always my favorite part.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I always try to vote and I try to take my time with comments. For me, comments are actually more significant. I make it a point to never just be "nice" but actually comment on the story itself, and never lie. We all can differentiate the nice uh-huh comments from the I really took my time and looked at this comments. Although, I appreciate anything. Anything is much better than nothing.

I do read quit a few stories on my phone. It gives me issue when voting and commenting, so I always say I'll do it on my notebook when I get home. I forget to go back and do it later. I feel really guilty about that, and I'm making an effort to stop that. Writers need to feel the support and encouragement. Just reading is not enough.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I prefer to comment, but I almost always vote too. Personally I like receiving comments on my stories more than votes, so I figure everyone else does too. Voting on aesthetics can be kind of meaningless.

This is me right here, lol.
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet’s pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
– William Shakespeare (from A Midsummer Night’s Dream)