my lips!!!!!

last reply
10 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Engineer
0 likes
Well pertaining to my CD interest,I intend to make a collection of lip glosses and lipsticks.so need your advice on what things I should look out while buying and any good products??
Find Simar on:
1. Skype: Simar Singh
2. Kik: simar2308
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Your better off with lip gloss than lip stick. Most lip sticks contain renderings ie: dead animals including road kill. Yuck!
Lurker
0 likes
I prefer lip gloss
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I LOVE Lipstick.

I wouldn't worry so much about the color. You can make just about any color work for your skin tone with the right lip liner and even concealer. For example, I have this extremely bright (borderline neon) coral shade of lipstick. If I put concealer on my lips before applying it, it gives me this really rich shade of coral sans the brightness.

Also, there are so many brands to choose from, usually with similar shades and of course different prices. I have several different brands, but MAC is by far my favorite, and as a result I'm quite biased. I wear my least favorite MAC shades more than I wear my favorites from other brands.

There are also several types of finishes, as well. By 'finish', I mean how the lipstick will look on your lips (opaque, sheer, glossy, dry, etc.). A beauty blog called Beauty Down South did an excellent job of breaking down MAC's lipstick finishes. Here's a link: http://www.beautydownsouth.com/2013/05/a-guide-to-mac-lipstick-finishes/

These are excerpts from the blog I linked to above, and although it refers to MAC lipsticks, these finishes are found across all lipstick brands, though they might be called something different or are not mentioned at all:

Matte: The most drying of all of the MAC standard formulas, it is also the most long-wearing. The Matte lipsticks give full, opaque coverage and last for about 6 hours. As the name suggests, they have no shimmer or sheen. Matte finish lasts longer than others and don't require you to constantly reapply. Some popular Matte lipsticks include: Candy Yum-Yum, Russian Red, Lady Danger, and Please Me.

Bottom Line: Long-wearing, opaque coverage, a bit drying.

Satin: The Satin finishes are quite matte like the Matte formula, but with a bit of added sheen and a little less drying on the lips. They give opaque coverage. Some popular Satin lipsticks include: Rebel, MAC Red, Myth, and Snob.

Bottom Line: Long-wearing, opaque coverage.

Cremesheen: This finish is very creamy, with a gloss-like shine. They are the most comfortable on the lips. They are still fairly full-coverage, just not as much as the previously mentioned. The Cremesheen formula comes in many neutral shades, so it should come as no surprise that this is one of MAC’s most popular lipstick finishes. Some popular Cremesheen lipsticks include: Shy Girl, Crème d’ Nude, Crème Cup, and Lickable.

Bottom line: Creamy, good pigmentation, slightly glossy.

Lustre: This formula gives sheer coverage, with a sheen. I find them very similar to the Glaze lipsticks, but with a bit more coverage. They are glossy, so they are not the most long-wearing. I would say that you can get about 1-2 hours of wear. Some popular Lustre lipsticks include: Plink, Syrup, Hug Me, Jubilee, and Patisserie.

Bottom line: Glossy and sheer.

Frost: These lipsticks are very shimmery. I think that you have to swatch Frost lipsticks in store, because I find that some are very wearable, while others are not. Wear-time is a bit better than the Lustre, at about a solid 2 hours. These are slightly glossy, but not too much, and provide pretty good coverage. Some popular Frost lipsticks include: Angel, Costa Chic, and Crème de la Femme.

Bottom line: Shimmery with decent coverage.

Personally, I stay away from Frost finish lipsticks. I find them very hard to work with. No matter what the shade is, they all look almost metallic. So typically, if a shade doesn't go well with your skin tone, it's gonna be really hard to make it work for you, even with the right lip liner or concealer. These are great if you're going for a more unconventional look.

Anyhoo, the best thing you can do is experiment until you find shades and finishes that work for you.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
You just need to experiment to find what you like - everything on the market is so different. Here are some of my fave brands.

Natural balms, moisturizing, colour-tints - Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments, Dior Addict Lip Glow, Butter London Tinted Balms

Standard Lipstick (best colour payoffs) - MAC, Lime Crime

Matte, Long-Wearing, Smudgeproof - Lime Crime Velvetines

Gloss: Dior Addict, Nars, Butter London Glosses and Lippies (liquid lipsticks)

Clear: Bobbi Brown Crystal Lip Gloss - put a dab of this over any lipstick to give it an instant hard-gloss shine - almost like the old Dior Addict Plastic Glosses. One of my fave products.

If you're looking for unconventional colours - blues, greens, purples, yellows - check out Lime Crime, Melt Cosmetics or Sugarpill
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
as far as lip products go, i'm a fan of anything with a buttery feel. this is why i reach for lipsticks before glosses. however, i have been lucky to find a few glosses that don't leave my lips feeling tacky.

Say. Her. Name.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
Lip glosses are my favourite, I must have dozens, opened and unopened. My current (cheap) favourite is Cover Girl Smoochies Lipslicks in "#text me" red.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this topic, except to say I am delighted there is a shade of lipstick called "#text me red."
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
I am a huge fan of lipstick. As an adult, I have never been a fan of lip gloss, although some of the ones that are in lipstick form are ok for accenting. Not the gooey stuff with the wand, which I have never liked, although I know they are popular. However, there is an amazing new liquid that Lancôme makes which I now love, called L'Absolu Velours, which is in a tube with a wand, although I use a brush to apply it. (I am very much into statement lipstick, which is one of the reasons I chose my avi)

Bottom line: if you are not good with lipstick (meaning you cannot apply it well) you probably want to stick with more neutral tones and lighter coverage. If you are into practicing (I watched my mom apply lipstick with a brush when I was a kid and started doing it back then) then bolder shades are really worth it. Well-applied lipstick is a real attention-getter.
Lurker
0 likes
gloss .. gloss d'enfer.. guerlain

0 likes
I have to stick to something subtle that doesn't need a mirror to retouch, and doesn't need to be retouched often, just due to the nature of my work (surgical masks will really screw with your lipstick). So yah, the cheap Cover Girl Smoochies in #text me red, a subtle blue-red, works well. I've also found that (don't laugh) Bonne Bell lip glosses work well, as do a couple of Lancome products on the (much) higher end.

Recently have been wearing Sally Hansen lip gloss--Diamond Something Or Other. It's a very soft shade of pink, isn't sticky like most glosses that claim long wear, and it does a very good job of staying where it's supposed to be.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
It totally depends on what look you're going for. Do you want a more classic/conservative look, or do you want to experiment with more bold colours? There are a ton of holiday gift sets at Sephora at this time of year, featuring deluxe-sized products - you might look into picking up a lippy one so that you can try on and play around with different colours and finishes in an inexpensive way, until you settle on your own personal style.

One of my fave go-to lip products is the YSL Volupte Tint-in-Oil range. Non-sticky, super glossy, healthy lip conditioning and I absolutely love the pretty stain left behind on the lips.

For a more pigmented, long-wearing matte look, I like the Hourglass Liquid Lipsticks. These last a long time but don't feel as drying as other matte formulas.