last reply
20 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Just curious...

What is the longest amount of time that you have spent working on a story which is published on Lush?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Just curious...

What is the longest amount of time that you have spent working on a story which is published on Lush?

On Lush? One story just didn't come easy and took several months to eventually finish. I think that was Tent and Pegs. But most other short stories work out smoothly within a single story-writing session (a few hours - at most 12)

If a story goes beyond a 1 or 2 part short story I'll just work on publishing it as a novella/novel. The Devil's Undertones started as a short story here and turned into a novella in 2 months time. Viette took me 5 months - which is pretty slick considering how complex the story is.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Wow... my poem 'Eros Innana' is excerpted from a story cycle (Sapphic Tales) which Melissa and I have been writing together for the past 7 years and I'm still working on the 3rd story, but each one is too long to publish here on Lush, and the 2nd and 3rd stories have elements (incest and underage) which are proscribed here, so I can never adapt the last 2 stories for publication here. The stories are epic mythologies spanning 3,000 years of ancient history.

http://sapphictales.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=1

http://sapphictales.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=1

http://sapphictales3.blogspot.com/
Story Verifier
0 likes
That's really hard to say. If I state figures like "2 months" , it tells absolutely nothing, because I write other things in between and because writing always has to be squeezed into the few hours that are left of my spare time, which also varies a lot. And I never count the hours in which I juggle ideas and characters around in my head until I feel the "eureka" effect.

The longest work in relation to character count has been my poem "Eve of My Destruction", which started out as a story experiment where I tried to use poetic language and meter throughout, then I re-wrote it twice but it never felt right. I re-did it into a poem with parts of different meters, but that didn't flow, and I finally spent almost two days shaping it into what it is now - all in a pentameter (with the exception of the first paragraph), a modern erotic story told as a classic ballad in 2000 words.
0 likes
I did a series that has been banned, that I spent nearly three months on. On a single chapter or story, 2 and a half weeks.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I think Paris in Flames took about a month from start to finish...?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Captain Turtle
0 likes
I think some of my (few) stories took a few weeks...but they aren't so good so I don't count them. My poems are usually done within a few hours. Though I do have something else that I have been working on for a little over a week, so hopefully that will be up in the near future.
Insert something witty here.
0 likes
I'll spend about 20-30 hours on about 4 - 5,000 words.

Longest gap between chapters, 6 months (thanks writer's bloc). Also three years when I found other pursuits to entertain me smile
Lurker
0 likes
This probably doesn't fit in here but I'm gonna post it anyway (I'm a contrary bastard!)!

The longest STORY I have ever written is 135,000 words over the course of about three months. Unfortunately, due to the content I can't submit it here

I've beeb quite lucky with my writing in that my ideas, when they come easily, tend to flow smoothly. I can usually start and finish a new story within twelve to eighteen hours spread over two or three days. If I'm struggling then chances are that the story probably isn't worth making the effort...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by bestofboth
This probably doesn't fit in here but I'm gonna post it anyway (I'm a contrary bastard!)!

The longest STORY I have ever written is 135,000 words over the course of about three months. Unfortunately, due to the content I can't submit it here

I've beeb quite lucky with my writing in that my ideas, when they come easily, tend to flow smoothly. I can usually start and finish a new story within twelve to eighteen hours spread over two or three days. If I'm struggling then chances are that the story probably isn't worth making the effort...

That's amazing.

Wow..

I miss you by the way hon.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
My current series, Angela, was started almost 4 years ago and i had posted several parts on lush before it was pulled for "not heading in the right direction" for the category. Not knowing any better at the time that it probably would have been okay in another category, I set it aside. I picked it back up about 6 or 7 months ago and completely reworked it while staying true to my original vision for it. but as someone else said, I did it in between other projects, sometimes leaving it sit for weeks without touching it. overall though, I would estimate I have spent maybe 200-250 total hours on it. it is just over 100,000 words at this point.

most of my short stories are usually done in a few hours to a couple of days at most. and almost all my poems are dine in under 2 hours, some as quickly as 15 minutes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My normal process is brainstorming for about a week before I sit down and write. A piece can take anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours and then I do a editing read through (not something that takes as much time as it used to) and then I submit it. I can easily get two done in a day if I wanted and if the Mod's accepted two stories from the same person in a day (publishing in the right order and such)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Took a year to get one became two parter done and in contrast wrote two that took 30min each
I define nothing. Not beauty, not patriotism. I take each thing as it is, without prior rules about what it should be.
- Bob Dylan

Consistent, Persistent and Bullshit Resistant!
- Trinket
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

In terms of hours spent writing it, my Pep and Aina explore series. For a single story, it was my entry to the Punked competition, "Heroine".

Writius Eroticus
0 likes

I've written Flash stuff in an hour or two, give or take a few edits. Others I've started and put on the back burner, chipping away at them for a month or three. So probably in terms of hours of actual work in a word processor, the longest is about 40 hours for a single chapter published here.

But in terms of initial idea to completion... my current maximum has been 2 years and 3 months, on and off editing.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 101 stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 69 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 20 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Easily amused
0 likes

It took me a frikkin MONTH to nail down that damn Noir comp story (Amnesia)

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes

My micros can take a week, but I tend to ponder these things. I'm still not convinced it makes any real difference in the end.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I have some stories I haven't yet given up on that date, going back to July 2022. That's been a long time. Considering my first story was published in May 2022. I still look at them to see if I can decide on an ending I'm happy with.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Room for Rent took me the longest to write, and is the longest thing I've written for Lush. It's a short novel that I published serially after it was fully written, so I'm counting it all as one thing. It took me the better part of a year to write it.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.