The morons at Facebook

last reply
18 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
The last few times I have tried to log into my Facebook account they give me a message that I am trying to log in using a device I've never used to log in before. Well, that is completely incorrect, it's the same device I always use. Now their message says for security reasons that I am locked out of my account. I fully expected MY security questions to pop up so I could log in. Wrong again! They are not giving me my security question to proceed.

Has this happened to any of you? Will I have to just create a new Facebook account and start over locating my friends?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Buz
The last few times I have tried to log into my Facebook account they give me a message that I am trying to log in using a device I've never used to log in before. Well, that is completely incorrect, it's the same device I always use. Now their message says for security reasons that I am locked out of my account. I fully expected MY security questions to pop up so I could log in. Wrong again! They are not giving me my security question to proceed.

Has this happened to any of you? Will I have to just create a new Facebook account and start over locating my friends?

You could try this, Buz:

"How can I use my friends (ex: trusted contacts) to get back into my account?"

https://www.facebook.com/help/215543298568604

That might work. You can email the code to me if you want.

L x

Edit: Ah, I think you already need to have the contacts thing set up to use it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Most social networks are desperate to get your mobile number on their records - it helps them sell your information for $$$. Every time they ask you to verify who you are they get more and more marketable info about you

Would you like one of my tin foil hats?
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Most social networks are desperate to get your mobile number on their records - it helps them sell your information for $$$. Every time they ask you to verify who you are they get more and more marketable info about you

Exactly! Now Facebook has emailed me, yes, they do have my correct email. They want a copy of my birth certificate, social security card, passport, and like you said, my cell phone number. Ridiculous!

I guess I'll take that tin foil hat.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

You could try this, Buz:

"How can I use my friends (ex: trusted contacts) to get back into my account?"

https://www.facebook.com/help/215543298568604

That might work. You can email the code to me if you want.

L x

Edit: Ah, I think you already need to have the contacts thing set up to use it.

They emailed that code to an old email address that I no longer use and that I deleted from my Facebook settings a long time ago. See the above post.

I will have to get a new email address in order to set up a brand new Facebook account. Then start all over contacting my friends. Facebook really does SUCK!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Facebook really does SUCK!

...which is why I got the hell OFF of it two and a half years ago!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here's an idea...fuck Facebook
The Linebacker
0 likes
Facebook verification. Instead of asking me the security questions I filled out, they asked me to identify friends from photos in their picture folders. On one they showed 3 pictures of Jake Malden's book covers, yet Jake Malden was not one of the names for me to choose from. How fucked up is that?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
That is why I stopped using FaceBook ... I got locked out and figured it was a sign to ditch it ...
Lurker
0 likes
Sorry Buz..xxoo

Hugs

Convict
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

No need for the hat smarty pants. I haven't been hit by spam or an increase in advertising. Never had spam on my phone either.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Thanks for the tip!

Our privacy policy should dispel any fears anyone has about what we collect here and why.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by trinket

No need for the hat smarty pants. I haven't been hit by spam or an increase in advertising. Never had spam on my phone either.

Spam doesn't earn you money. Targeted marketing does.

On it's own it doesn't really offer much - but when online marketers cross-match their databases with facebook's using your telephone number (the one you probably give out every time you order something online) the resulting dataset offers a huge amount of information on your shopping and other online habits. All those things you like on Facebook suddenly get associated with those things you bought on amazon.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Thanks for the tip!

Our privacy policy should dispel any fears anyone has about what we collect here and why.

Just as long as you don't go trying to alter our behaviour like Facebook did...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10944613/Facebook-conducted-widespread-experiments-on-user-data-to-alter-peoples-behaviour.html

Classified
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Convict
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Spam doesn't earn you money. Targeted marketing does.

On it's own it doesn't really offer much - but when online marketers cross-match their databases with facebook's using your telephone number (the one you probably give out every time you order something online) the resulting dataset offers a huge amount of information on your shopping and other online habits. All those things you like on Facebook suddenly get associated with those things you bought on amazon.

How does that affect me?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by trinket

How does that affect me?

It probably doesn't affect your user experience at all - it might even improve it considering that any adverts you see might be more tailored to what you're actually interested in. There is a concern that there could be a darker side to all this data collection and cross matching. What if advertisers knew that you shop more when you're status updates are negative messages?

Convict
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

It probably doesn't affect your user experience at all - it might even improve it considering that any adverts you see might be more tailored to what you're actually interested in. There is a concern that there could be a darker side to all this data collection and cross matching. What if advertisers knew that you shop more when you're status updates are negative messages?

You really are a smartas... Oops I mean smart.
Thank you for your explanation.