Wicked Cool

last reply
18 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Nurse
0 likes

I love mountain biking, and try to hit the trails as often as possible. But this is way beyond anything I'll (ever) attempt.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Very cool indeed. The landscapes and the way it's filmed are particularly stunning. Thanks for sharing!

I used to mountain bike a lot in my teenage and early adult years, I don't even have a mountain bike anymore. I actually had a few friends that were a bit older than me and that were getting quite good at it; some of them could even 'escalate' things, like picnic tables.
Head Nurse
0 likes
The guys I ride with clear picnic tables, ect. I'm very lucky to have a top notch system within driving distance to my house. (I have a trek fuel ex -full suspension that I LOVE) Im learning, I can't clear the tables, but I dont mind the big table top jumps.

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
The guys I ride with clear picnic tables, ect. I'm very lucky to have a top notch system within driving distance to my house. (I have a trek fuel ex -full suspension that I LOVE) Im learning, I can't clear the tables, but I dont mind the big table top jumps.

That's pretty cool. The trail shown in your video looks pretty 'tame' though; not saying that it looks it easy to ride, but you can see that it's been 'artificially designed' to be a mountain bike trail. It looks fun/awesome though, with all these jumps and features.

There was a mountain that me and my friends used to go to, near my city (around 40 minutes in car). A few people used to go there to mountain bike, but that trail was pretty wild; it wasn't 'designed' or anything, it was just a natural trail that was a whole lot of fun to ride. Half of it was the ascension, which was very strenuous and took around 2 hours to achieve. Then the other half was the descent, which me and my friends tried to achieve in the smallest amount of time; that took around 30-45 minutes, but admittedly we were rushing it carelessly and it was quite dangerous at times.

That trail looked like this at times, with plenty of rocks covering it (both during the ascension/descent). We almost had to find a 'correct path' at times, to make the ascension easier and not to trip during the descent:

And yeah, we used to go down these wooden staircases as well (as shown at the end of your video). There was a park just a few minutes from where I lived that had one much similar to the one shown in your video (it was going down a cliff).

I wonder if all the accessories are still classified the same (eg. gears, derailleur, brakes, etc.).

When I was mountain biking, the order of quality was: Standard, Stx, Lx, Xt, Xtr

My own bike was equivalent to Lx, but I had some friends that had bikes in the Xt or Xtr range.

Edit: I just checked and it still looks pretty similar. That's the Shimano order of quality:

XTR
Saint
Deore XT
SLX
Zee
Hone
Deore LX
Deore
Alivio
Acera
Altus
Tourney
Head Nurse
0 likes
I have shram shifters ony main bike. Shimano on my hard tail. I'm not overly fond of the shimano.

There are much tougher trails also plus the wooden features. The rocky ascents utilize the old phosperous mine and are very rocky! Santos is listed with the IMBA.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
I have shram shifters ony main bike. Shimano on my hard tail. I'm not overly fond of the shimano.

There are much tougher trails also plus the wooden features. The rocky ascents utilize the old phosperous mine and are very rocky! Santos is listed with the IMBA.

Do you have shocks on your bike?

I didn't even have shocks on mine. I was planning on buying Rock Shox, but there was essentially two models available: a yellow one for around $350, and a red one for around $550. Since my bike was gray and I already invested in some red accessories, I thought it was worth waiting to afford the red ones. Unfortunately it never happened: when I was around 18-year-old, we all got busy with different things (ie. college, relationships) and we kinda put that hobby aside.

I've always loved the combination of gray/red (on bikes, cars, etc.):

Some of my friends had shocks though: that was rather unfair when we were competing against each other in some situations.

Funny thing, my one friend who had the best bike actually totally ripped off the insurances to afford it. His parents' house was robbed, but all the bikes in the basement were still there (his own, his parents', etc.). He hid all the bikes in his neighbors house (his friend) and claimed that they were stolen among the rest. He got like $1500 from the insurances, plus he eventually sold his old bike, so he had around $2000 plus some money that he had aside to buy a new bike. What a jerk, haha.
Head Nurse
0 likes
This is my main bike:

The back up bike(yes it's black and red):
Rock shox, front and rear suspension.

I've since changed out the pedals for some really nice platforms, I don't plan to clip in anytime soon.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
This is my main bike...

I'm so jealous...

I had a rather limited budget when I was mountain biking. My bike was good but heavy, climbing hills with it was quite strenuous. And going downhill on rocky paths without shocks was hard on my balls (seriously).

Totally random question here, but what is your address?
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I'm so jealous...

I had a rather limited budget when I was mountain biking. My bike was good but heavy, climbing hills with it was quite strenuous. And going downhill on rocky paths without shocks was hard on my balls (seriously).

Totally random question here, but what is your address?

Lol! I do love that bike smile can't say enough good things about it! I'm looking forward to taking it on a trip to North Carolina soon. There are some great trails up there.

As for my address: :P not so easy mister! (Plus it lives locked up)
Troublemaker
0 likes
Awesome short...and then the guy does the flip over the fence in case I wasn't already impressed....OUTRAGEOUS!!! Biking rules!
Lurker
0 likes
Awesome!
Head Nurse
0 likes

This was my weekend last week
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
This was my weekend last week.

That seems awesome. Was it a circuit that you had to do many times, or more like a long marathon through the woods?

And congratulations if you actually managed to ride your bike for 12 hours!
Head Nurse
0 likes
It was a 9 mile circuit over the expert(diamond/double diamond) trails. total laps counted. I was part of a team.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
It was a 9 mile circuit over the expert(diamond/double diamond) trails. total laps counted. I was part of a team.

Dare you to turn up to the next one on one of these.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Dare you to turn up to the next one on one of these.

I wore a blue sparkly tutu all day long. (there are probably still little bits of glittery tull in the woods) I want pink streamers, but have been informed they are not legal
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I've always loved the combination of gray/red (on bikes, cars, etc.):

You must be a Buckeye! Scarlet & gray is in our blood!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have been to the Santos Trail system many times and can say there are some incredible trails there. I ride a Specialized Stump Jumper. Not sure my backside would like a hardtail for any long length of time. Not sure how long you have been riding but try to clip in sometime. Once you are use to them, your riding power can increase tremendously.
Head Nurse
0 likes
I have no desire to clip in. I like my clips, and I dont lose my feet, so I dont see the point in switching. I do clip in on the road bike, but not the others.