last reply
21 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes

Electronic Cigarettes

Since a few years, electronic cigarettes keep gaining in popularity and everybody is talking about them, from the media to the medical community. Some say they're a miracle product, some say they should be regulated, some say they might be just harmful as conventional cigarettes.

Here's the thread to talk about everything that concerns electronic cigarettes...

Do you believe them to be beneficial or harmful? Should they be regulated as a smoking cessation method only?

Have you used them yourself to help you stop smoking? Were they effective? Do you still vape today?

To vapers, which gear and accessories do you use?

Enjoy!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I read this thorough scientific evaluation in the last few days, which compiles many studies conducted in the past: scientific article

The conclusions are extremely optimistic:

Quote by Article
Existing evidence indicates that EC use is by far a less harmful alternative to smoking. There is no tobacco and no combustion involved in EC use; therefore, regular vapers may avoid several harmful toxic chemicals that are typically present in the smoke of tobacco cigarettes. Indeed, some toxic chemicals are released in the EC vapor as well, but their levels are substantially lower compared with tobacco smoke, and in some cases (such as nitrosamines) are comparable with the amounts found in pharmaceutical nicotine products.

(...)

ECs are a revolutionary product in tobacco harm reduction. Although they emit vapor, which resembles smoke, there is literally no fire (combustion) and no ‘fire’ (suspicion or evidence that they may be the cause for disease in a similar way to tobacco cigarettes). Due to their unique characteristics, ECs represent a historical opportunity to save millions of lives and significantly reduce the burden of smoking-related diseases worldwide.

And here's a graph extracted from this article, which compares the toxic emissions of an electronic cigarette juice (Ruyan V8) to popular brands of regular tobacco cigarettes. Quite self-explanatory, as you can see:

Figure 3. Toxic emissions score, adjusted for nicotine, for electronic cigarette and popular cigarette brands.

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
And yes, I smoke electronic cigarettes myself, though I did not rely on them to help me quit smoking. I first bought a kit of electronic cigarettes a few years ago when I was trying to quit smoking regular cigarettes, but they did not help me at all: the nicotine content was not sufficient for me to get my usual 'fix', and puffing on these things was frustrating more than anything.

I finally managed to quit cold turkey (which is the best method to quit smoking, in my opinion), but a few months later I reached for my electronic cigarettes again just because I enjoy the habit of puffing on something. The juice that I vape still contains nicotine, but this is mostly to feel a certain 'throat hit' (the satisfying sensation of feeling the smoke at the back of your throat).

In fact, many scientists/doctors argue that nicotine cannot create a dependency on its own: tobacco products contain MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), which drastically increase the quantity of nicotine that the brain and other organs can absorb: scientific article.

Quote by Article
Nicotine is the major neuroactive compound of tobacco, which has, by itself, weak reinforcing properties. (...) The results suggest that the inhibition of MAO activity by compounds present in tobacco smoke may combine with nicotine to produce the intense reinforcing properties of cigarette smoking that lead to addiction.

I can testify that my own dependence is definitely over: if I don't puff on my electronic cigarettes for a few hours/days, I don't feel any of the cessation symptoms I used to experience when I was trying to quit smoking. For me, electronic cigarettes are simply a pacifier of sorts, which I enjoy vaping when I'm lounging at home; it has also become a bit of a hobby with time.

And this is worth mentioning, they emit no second-hand smoke at all. The smoke produced is only water vapor, which dissipates in the air almost instantly; it's literally impossible to create a cloud of smoke with these. I smoke my cigars at times when I'm visiting friends, and although some of these people are extremely intolerant to cigarette smoke, they allow me to vape in their homes without any issues. I even receive compliments at time, and people comment on how the odor produced is pleasing to smell.

This is what I use:

Batteries: eGo 650 mha (price=$12/each). I like those because they're short and convenient. A charge lasts me around 4-6 hours of frequent vaping:

Clearomizer: Kanger T2 (price, main unit=$6, replacement coil=$2). I've tried a few clearomizers in the past, and these are by far my favorites: they produce plenty of warm vapor, they don't leak, and they're easy to refill. I can use the same main unit over and over again (6+ months) and change the coil/wicks as necessary, usually once every two weeks:

Juice: Homemade juice, 12mg/mL (nicotine content). I mix my own juice, with many different flavors from FlavourArt. I use a mix of propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) of about 65/35, which I find works best with the Kanger clearomizers.

All assembled and ready to use, it looks like this (my batteries are actually a bit shorter). I love the classy appearance, it feels like I'm smoking a stylish futuristic cigar:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
E-cigs = mouth fedoras.

Please explain...

I love fedoras anyway.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Please explain...

I love fedoras anyway.

Wait...this is a serious question.

Are you combining a fedora with E-cigs?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Are you combining a fedora with E-cigs?

Yeah dude, I even wear a cock-ring at times...

Don't tell me this is a cock fedora?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Yeah dude, I even wear a cock-ring at times...

Don't tell me this is a cock fedora?

Is there a chain connected to a wallet involved at any point?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Is there a chain connected to a wallet involved at any point?

You're just jealous dude, everybody loves fedoras.

Anyway... FEDORAS! FEDORAS FOR EVERYBODY!

(Get yours too Felix, it adds style to your personality: you'll still be a dumbfuck, but at least you'll be a stylish dumbfuck.)

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

FEDORAS! FEDORAS FOR EVERYBODY!

Please answer the question. Have you ever been involved in the wearing of a chain connected to a wallet while also smoking an e-cig and wearing a fedora?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Please answer the question. Have you ever been involved in the wearing of a chain connected to a wallet while also smoking an e-cig and wearing a fedora?

No, but I have a watch attached to a chain... and I also wear a monocle.

I don't really need it, but it fit wells with my fancy mustache.

Oh, and I also wear a bowtie... you heard that right, a fucking bowtie dude.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

No, but I have a watch attached to a chain... and I also wear a monocle.

I don't really need it, but it fit wells with my fancy mustache.

Oh, and I also wear a bowtie... you heard that right, a fucking bowtie dude.

The prosecution rests its case.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
The prosecution rests its case.

There people, Felix finally listened to the voice of reason.

I must admit dude, you look way better... way fucking better.

Lurker
0 likes
I've tried this type of vaporizer a few times but, only when it's been loaded with hash oil.

Does that count ?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Electronic Cigarettes

Since a few years, electronic cigarettes keep gaining in popularity and everybody is talking about them, from the media to the medical community. Some say they're a miracle product, some say they should be regulated, some say they might be just harmful as conventional cigarettes.

Here's the thread to talk about everything that concerns electronic cigarettes...

Do you believe them to be beneficial or harmful? Should they be regulated as a smoking cessation method only?

Have you used them yourself to help you stop smoking? Were they effective? Do you still vape today?

To vapers, which gear and accessories do you use?

Enjoy!

One month, no real cigarettes just the e-cigarette. I'm not missing them at all, which surprised me.
I've even gone from strong to medium nicotine content. Next move is to low.
Wish me luck.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by dpw
One month, no real cigarettes just the e-cigarette. I'm not missing them at all, which surprised me.
Wish me luck.

Wow Derek, these are great news.

I'm actually also surprised that you're not missing regular cigarettes at all: your body absorbs a lot less nicotine through vapor and you don't have all these other chemicals that make nicotine more potent. I really couldn't rely on e-cigs myself when I quit, I had to do it cold-turkey and it took me almost 6 months before I could start feeling 'normal' again.

Out of curiosity, for how long have you been smoking and how many cigarettes per day were you smoking?

And what gear do you use for your e-cigs? The one that I'm using myself (as presented in my previous posts) is the one I'd recommend to any novice.

Don't be afraid to ask for advices if you need to, and good luck!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Wish me luck.

A gay man givin up fags?
who woulda thunk it ?

Don't take it personal Derrick

Good luck
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ajax

A gay man givin up fags?
who woulda thunk it ?

Don't take it personal Derrick

Good luck

I won't if you spell my name correctly, it's Derek. Derrick is a crane on a ship.PQyWg2bbfDHgoTT3
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by dpw
Derrick is a crane on a ship.DRinZc3iQJNrGPiT

And a well known German detective series. But in German it probably just means Der Rick ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I won't if you spell my name correctly, it's Derek. Derrick is a crane on a ship.WsB6Fo3YD49wccKn

Just so we are CLEAR...

I smoke.

I fancy you.

(That's it...)

xx SF

Nicola: "He's a GAY GUY!!!"

Me: "Yeah but he's shit cute..."

Nicola: "BUT you're STRAIGHT???"

Me: "More or less..."
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I won't if you spell my name correctly, it's Derek. Derrick is a crane on a ship.U8faLMCqsyjGpvnN

Fair enough, sorry Derek lack of sleep and an abundance of beers = 's i got sloppy . Thought i had your name spelled correctly at 4 am . I was close
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I won't if you spell my name correctly, it's Derek. Derrick is a crane on a ship.YP61trkX976rJWAd

So that's where Derrick Crane went to? He must've gotten over his seasickness. He was never the same after he nearly got electrocuted smoking an electronic cigarette.