Co-author, anyone?

last reply
16 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Hi ppl,

I recently started writing and I just submitted a story a few days ago. Maybe the reviewer was just being polite. Apparently, I have a good start of a story, but unfortunately, my story needs a lot of polishing and as it is right now, it can't be published. I've always been more of a math and science guy but I would like to improve my writing skill (and avoid writing runon sentences like the last one!).

So, anyone interested in collaborating? I can send you what I already have, and if you like the story, we can then work on it together and resubmit? Of course, you will be the co-author. What I am hoping to do is to improve my writing skill by learning from the editing of others.

Let me know smile

DrMstry.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Por favor at least give us a brief outline and the category!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Rosehay

...and how many words you've got so far. I've done this for others, but it depends on how much time I'd have to devote to it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Rosehay

Lush rule, please use English.
Lurker
0 likes
I have helped another author publish a story. Happy to take a look for you, but time wise over Christmas might be difficult.
0 likes
Hi all, thank you for the replies. First thing first, thank you Bethany for the help on the story. I sent the story again to try to get published, fingers crossed. Hope it'll work out this time. Happy holidays everyone.
0 likes
Quote by DrMstry
Hi all, thank you for the replies. First thing first, thank you Bethany for the help on the story. I sent the story again to try to get published, fingers crossed. Hope it'll work out this time. Happy holidays everyone.

I'm glad she could help you out, but keep in mind, in writing there is no roof. No matter how good you can make the story, there is always something else that could be done. For now, sharpen your skills to make your style acceptable for the mods to verify your stories.

Once you do, still try to better yourself, but take baby steps to get to where you want to be exactly. You'll get advice from the mods and other authors, use it, but don't completely sacrifice how you've been writing your stories. It's what defines you as an author. There are already so many authors here, so do what you can to try to stick out, even if it's not perfect.

Even if you have perfection, that doesn't mean people are gonna take the time to read your stories. Write, write some more, take a break, write a little more if necessary, then edit it longer than it took you to write it. Go through so many time, that you wanna throw up. Try to get it as good as it can be and if they send it back, fight the voices in your head and just take a break from it. Unless of course it's something small that you can fix in 5 minutes or less.

Once you have it approved, take a moment of pride and hope people read it. If they don't, move on to the next story and fight discouragement. If you need to, take a break from writing and editing all together. Take Madamemolly's advice on that, she knows what she is talking about.

Jeremy.
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations on getting your first story published!
0 likes
Quote by Cyndy
Congratulations on getting your first story published!

Thank you, I saw your previous post. Maybe next story, I can ask for your help.

Happy holidays!
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1

I'm glad she could help you out, but keep in mind, in writing there is no roof. No matter how good you can make the story, there is always something else that could be done. For now, sharpen your skills to make your style acceptable for the mods to verify your stories.

Once you do, still try to better yourself, but take baby steps to get to where you want to be exactly. You'll get advice from the mods and other authors, use it, but don't completely sacrifice how you've been writing your stories. It's what defines you as an author. There are already so many authors here, so do what you can to try to stick out, even if it's not perfect.

Even if you have perfection, that doesn't mean people are gonna take the time to read your stories. Write, write some more, take a break, write a little more if necessary, then edit it longer than it took you to write it. Go through so many time, that you wanna throw up. Try to get it as good as it can be and if they send it back, fight the voices in your head and just take a break from it. Unless of course it's something small that you can fix in 5 minutes or less.

Once you have it approved, take a moment of pride and hope people read it. If they don't, move on to the next story and fight discouragement. If you need to, take a break from writing and editing all together. Take Madamemolly's advice on that, she knows what she is talking about.

Jeremy.

Thanks for the encouragement
0 likes
Quote by DrMstry

Thanks for the encouragement

Your welcome, just telling it like it is, simple as that.
Lurker
0 likes
If you still need it, I can help you. You might wanna check out my stories to see if that's the kind of writing you're looking for. (Not the categories, but the way that I write)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just read your first story and was impressed. The opening is a great tease. I had to submit 4 or 5 times before my story was finally published. I was so frustrated I haven't published the next chapter despite many requests from readers. It does depend on the editor who gets your story. How often do you see the numeric value for the number 4? Well I was told it had to be four only mutli-digit numbers can be written as numerics i.e. 44 if fine but 4 must be four. The short form OK is unacceptable. I had to be okay. Once again I say read some of the stories. The editing is not consistent. So persevere. I will say that I did learn things about my writing and the editor did improve my story. But the "nit picking" given what I was reading was just too much for me.
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
Do Co-Written stories appear on both authors profiles?

Not at present. There are three "contributing authors" fields on the story itself that lets you link to collaborators, but you have to choose one profile to put it on.