Best Guitar Solos/Guitar Licks Ever

last reply
113 replies
10.3k views
1 watcher
10 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I love blisteringly fast guitar licks and solos, and hope this topic will dredge up some new ones for me. Is "Best" subjective? Of course it is! Gimme what ya got!

(I did a search for Guitar Solos, and did not find a specific topic. If there is one, somebody say so and I will join that one.)
Advanced Wordsmith
1 like

OK, I bent the rules a little right from the start. Denny Dias plays the solo on electric sitar.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Try this tasty tidbit by Mark Knopfler at 2:20
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Don't be put off because it is in Spanish. Mark and Rick Del Castillo put it down as fast as anyone I have ever heard!
The Linebacker
0 likes
This one is very bluesy, but damn, do I love blues.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Here are certainly some of the most recognizable riffs (and ones I enjoy the most):

Sunshine Of Your Love: Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton
Smoke On The Water: Ritchie Blackmore
Kashmir: Jimmy Page
Man On The Silver Mountain: Ritchie Blackmore
Whole Lotta Love: Jimmy Page's treatment
Ziggy Stardust: Mick Ronson

And here are the solos:

Stairway To Heaven (final solo): Jimmy Page
Highway Star: Ritchie Blackmore
Sultans Of Swing: Mark Knopfler
Time and Comfortably Numb: Dave Gilmour

Yes, there are many others that are awesome, which I like just fine, but I don't have time or space to mention them all.
Lurker
0 likes
OH!!! so many, but Van Halen Has to fit in here as one.
Lurker
0 likes
There’s no denying that Jimmy Page is one of the most important rock guitarists of all time, as well as one of the most versatile. His playing is rooted in the blues, but also encompasses elements of world music, jazz, folk, pop and classical, and of course his heavy riffing is the prototype for much of the heavy metal that followed, though Page himself is not a metal guitarist. Part of Page’s versatility is no doubt due to his years as a session player, but despite a long career before and since, when we think of his greatest solos, we don’t have to look any further than his tenure in Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin was such a perfect vehicle for Page’s diverse musical interests that it provided a framework for almost any kind of guitar playing he might care to explore

This will take you back... From Ultimate classic's

Lurker
0 likes
Not a big Fan Of Ted Nugent, but the man has talent with the guitar.
That's just a few off the top of my head. I'll bring more later.
Lurker
0 likes
Of course who could forget what Jimmy Hendricks contributed. Only if he would of lived longer, who knows where rock would have gone.
Lurker
0 likes
Another...
Lurker
0 likes
Oh! and Angus Young of AC/DC how could I forget?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hendrix who I saw at the Isle of Wight in 1970 just 3 weeks before he died.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Peter Frampton Live- Do you feel like I do?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
David Gilmore knows how to bend then strings!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Jethro Tull Aqua-lung is one of my all time favorite solo's, a most notable riff the opening to The Story in your eyes by The Moody Blues
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Another song full of great riffs, Into the night Chad Kroger and CARLOS, lets not forget Cliffs of Dover either..
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Bonamassa has a ton of great fills and riffs. Don't miss his second solo starting at 4:52 if you like blues guitar!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Kenny Wayne Sheperd tears it up on this blues rocker!
Southern Charmer
0 likes

So I did a thing with leftlingula... 😈 Naughty people, I'm not talking about that. We wrote a story together! I'm very proud of what we've done and we would love for you to read it. It's about a husband and wife remembering who they are together. The fire, their passion, their love, her need to submit to him, and his need to dominate her. All rolled into one beautiful connection. It all started with one simple word...
Nightshade Part 1

Nightshade: Part 2

Lurker
0 likes
Joe Satriani always one of my favorites.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

A nice solo starts at 2:17. I would love to hear more of whoever the guy is!
0 likes
Layla - Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton and Duane Allman on guitar with the bonus of a great piano track written by drummer Jim Gordon)

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I was listening to The Pretenders a few days ago and and thinking that Middle of the Road has one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Pretty much any Mark Knopfler solo amazes me. Since Sultans of Swing has been mentioned a few times (deservedly), I will take the one where he sits in with Steely Dan on Time Out of Mind.

One more: The Edge on the live version of Bullet the Blue Sky.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams, check out the live version on YouTube, amazing though there have been many wonderful ones mentioned.