What are Dreams ?

last reply
5 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
There are numerous theories regarding dreams, broadly speaking, they fall within Psychology and Neurology. And comprise anything from being comprised of simple wish fulfilment desires, to clearing yesterdays thoughts and emotional issues. There are night dreams, day dreams, lucid dreams. Themes, can run from Sexual matters, frustrations, anxiety issues, in fact everything that can and does affect a person's emotional state of mind. Who knows, all theories are just that, theories, and whether you subscribe to Freud, or something more scientific, nothing is proven and they all remains, theories. Feel free to share ideas on this topic.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999
There are numerous theories regarding dreams, broadly speaking, they fall within Psychology and Neurology. And comprise anything from being comprised of simple wish fulfilment desires, to clearing yesterdays thoughts and emotional issues. There are night dreams, day dreams, lucid dreams. Themes, can run from Sexual matters, frustrations, anxiety issues, in fact everything that can and does affect a person's emotional state of mind. Who knows, all theories are just that, theories, and whether you subscribe to Freud, or something more scientific, nothing is proven and they all remains, theories. Feel free to share ideas on this topic.

This, briefly, a dream I had just this morning....I had the strangest lucid dream this morning, not having to rise early today. I was awake about 7:00 am, got up, made a hot drink and returned to my warm bed. Soon, I dozed off, and then this unreality in the brain became reality for awhile. Now this was a lucid dream, vivid and possessing the normal things we attribute to the wakeful state, sound and visuals. Briefly, I went to London ( I loathe the place ) with a young blonde lady, there we visited a relative, and later we separated. Intending to meet later at a certain place, then I panicked and took the first train home. The strange thing is, when I got home, there was my girl friend sat having her hair done, in a salon I was passing. Even for a dream, after waking, I got to thinking, how did she get back before me ? The rest of the dream was concerned with pacifying her anger at my leaving London, but she she was still supposed to be there. Then I woke up, and took at least 15 minutes before I felt fully awake, it shook me up
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
When the mind perceives the world, that is the only reality the world enjoys. It may exist independently, perhaps even orderly (though 'order' itself also only exists as a mental concept), but it is only the perceiving mind that creates the world as a meaningful thing, and that mental construct is the only reality there is. Without perception and knowledge, there is no world (or cosmos), only the meaningless, unobserved characteristics of matter and energy. When the mind perceives itself, however, it can dream any reality it cares to, and also constructs the arbitrary laws which govern that dream world, since it exists in isolation from any and all other sentient minds. Dreams are essentially as real as the waking world around us, since they are both the products of sentience. As Dumbledore said, Of Course It’s Happening in Your Head, But Why on Earth Should That Mean It’s Not Real?

Dreams are very meaningful to Native Americans, who search for signs everywhere to guide us on the correct path. My Cherokee grandmother used to chide me for seeing the world so scientifically and logically, while dismissing the ineffable essence of the anima behind the world we perceive. Dreams are our connection to that ineffable nature of the 'real' world. Interpreting the meaning behind them is the key. Since most of our dreams are not remembered by our waking conscious mind, it must be assumed that our subconscious mind is interpreting meaning from dream content in the absence of cognitive awareness. In other words, our subconscious minds are getting something out of our dreams that we are not consciously aware of.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
When the mind perceives the world, that is the only reality the world enjoys. It may exist independently, perhaps even orderly (though 'order' itself also only exists as a mental concept), but it is only the perceiving mind that creates the world as a meaningful thing, and that mental construct is the only reality there is. Without perception and knowledge, there is no world (or cosmos), only the meaningless, unobserved characteristics of matter and energy. When the mind perceives itself, however, it can dream any reality it cares to, and also constructs the arbitrary laws which govern that dream world, since it exists in isolation from any and all other sentient minds. Dreams are essentially as real as the waking world around us, since they are both the products of sentience. As Dumbledore said, Of Course It’s Happening in Your Head, But Why on Earth Should That Mean It’s Not Real?

Dreams are very meaningful to Native Americans, who search for signs everywhere to guide us on the correct path. My Cherokee grandmother used to chide me for seeing the world so scientifically and logically, while dismissing the ineffable essence of the anima behind the world we perceive. Dreams are our connection to that ineffable nature of the 'real' world. Interpreting the meaning behind them is the key. Since most of our dreams are not remembered by our waking conscious mind, it must be assumed that our subconscious mind is interpreting meaning from dream content in the absence of cognitive awareness. In other words, our subconscious minds are getting something out of our dreams that we are not consciously aware of.

Very well put, to add just a bit too that. The subconscious mind does NOT speak in the same language as the conscious waking mind. The Subconscious utilizes a language of it's own consisting of things like color, sound, and actions many of which can have different meanings to different people. To self analyze dreams can be a very difficult undertaking. The first thing you need to do is to remember (or write down) as much of he dream as possible. THEN, start at the beginning and figure out what each element of it means to you. You can then put the various elements together to convey to the conscious mind what the subconscious was saying to itself.

Going a step further, headaches are brought on by many things a technique that has NO negative side effects has been developed to combat migraines (and it is effective on other types of headaches as well) using NO drugs and is faster acting than drugs (which REQUIRE 15 minutes at minimum just to get Into the blood stream.) The way it works is simple. Step #1 Close your eyes and envision, imagine or think about the discomfort you're feeling as being a shade of the color red. If it is a mild headache it would be some shade of pink, a severe headache a bright fiery red. Step #2 See, think about or imagine (which ever one works best for you) that shade of red changing to some shade of orange, any shade of orange is fine. Imagining objects that ARE orange will speed the process. Once you have some shade of orange go to Step #3 is to see. think about or imagine that orange changing to a shade yellow again imagining yellow items. When you get any shade of yellow go to Step #4 and imagine the yellow changing to a green using the same process as before. When a you have a shade of green go to step #5 and imagine the green changing to a blue imagining blue items. Once a you get a shade of blue even light blue, imagine the blue getting darker and darker until it's as dark as you can get it. When it is as dark as you can imagine it you can open your eyes as your headache will be gone. Inspite of the number of words it took to say it., it seldom takes even 5 minutes to actually DO it.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Absolutely, all good and valid points. Dreams, as Beth wrote, are not only very important to Native American's, but to all ancient cultures. There's a famous papyri from Deir El Medina, at Thebes, which is entirely devoted to dream analysis. I suppose, at the Oracle at Delphi, the priestess went into a trance like state, which is akin to dreaming, and her deliverances required careful consideration, and sometimes they got it wrong, with disastrous results. Weavindreamsm, yes that is so, the subconscious mind cannot use language as understood by the conscious mind, yes, it uses images to convey a message, if indeed it is a message to be worked out by the conscious mind. I remember all the vivid dreams, and I do write them down while their fresh. And as Beth says, most dreams we do recall, I think we only recall the ones that wake us up. Sometimes nightmares. Fascinating topic.

Head Penguin
0 likes
There's lots of theories but the fact is, no one knows. Dreams are as much a puzzle to scientists as anyone.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way