Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Do you insist that a vote on your story be commented upon.

last reply
51 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have recently found the condition that to vote one must comment, and activated it. It may reduce the score but it is more meaningful.
I believe this is the only way a vote can be substantiated. You have to comment as well as score.
Do you like this condition or not.
Comments please.
0 likes
I don't use it. I find most voters on my stories are also commenters on my stories so I don't bother for the odd person who just tosses a vote.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I don't like that feature. I vote to show my appreciation. Most do it for that reason here on Luch I suppose, hence all the 4s and 5s. To then be required to comment feels like that appreciation isn't wanted/trusted.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy
I have recently found the condition that to vote one must comment, and activated it. It may reduce the score but it is more meaningful.
I believe this is the only way a vote can be substantiated. You have to comment as well as score.
Do you like this condition or not.
Comments please.

No - I don't require it.

I want people to be honest. I actually believe that the system is a little off-putting because no vote is truly annonymous. If things were more annonymous the numbers would be more reflective of quality.
Lurker
0 likes
Feedback is always appreciated but I don't insist on it. Many readers don't have the time to comment or just don't like to do it. And some of them prefer to send a private message with their views to the author. I think the voting gives a good and quick indication of how your story is doing.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I hate forced comments - unless i feel strongly about a story, it will usually keep me from voting.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Not a fan of this feature. It's difficult to see what you've written in such a small line, especially for people like me who sometimes leave (unnecessarily) long(-winded) comments.

Also, I have a habit of commenting before scoring so when I click on score, the feature sort of asks me to comment twice.

It won't put me off reading future works if the author is particularly awesome, but it can be a bit of a pain.

(My 2p as a reader.)
Lurker
0 likes
How interesting. I do force a comment because of some very strange voting behaviour on my stories but to be honest it hasn't made much difference. Now I just get wonderfully positive comments and a lower score that doesn't match them.

So I achieved nothing really, I think I'll follow you all, open things up and just not look at the scores.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I kind of like "If you can't say anything good, say nothing", but then CONSTRUCTIVE critisism is good.
I recently had a four word comment that made no sense, along with a very low score. Perhaps just
a score of 3 4 or 5, forget the 1 & 2?

As Rosie says, the score can be ignored, I am just happy that people actually read what I write.

More power to your keyboards writers.

If you don't have a plan, it can't go wrong.
Lurker
0 likes
I tend to not put much weight on votes. People are very kind here, well most anyway, and usually award a 5. I put more interest in the comments since it takes time for the reader to leave one. I would hate to keep someone from commenting because they're forced to or because their phone has a hard time with that feature as mine often does.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Forcing qualitative feedback through quantitive feedback rarely produces anything meaningful. If people are moved enough to say something, they will - forcing the hand of someone who just wanted to vote will result in bland, meaningless platitudes or critiques that won't do your confidence or writing any favours. I think the best way to improve the benefit of your comments is to post plenty of constructive comments on other authors' work . The better feedback you give, the better you get back in return.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I've never used this feature and I dislike it. If I do leave a comment it will probably be much shorter and to the point than I probably otherwise would have left. The one-line box is very small and I don't like not being able to see my full comment before hitting 'post' (scrolling can be a pain).

As for my stories - whatever a reader feels like doing is fine by me. A vote, a comment, both, a PM, nothing. It's really reader's choice.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
I agree 100% with HeraTeleia, I would never want to force comments from people who read my work.

If they leave a comment and or score then that's great and I really appreciate it, but I am just as happy to see how many views I get tbh.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It seems that this feature is not popular so I have removed the condition. Thanks for the input.
Lurker
0 likes
Please don't force us to leave comments. I personally feel pressured to write (or try to write) something ink-worthy, and come up short.
Head Penguin
0 likes
If I might give an opposing point of view: I respect anyone's right to score my stories as they see fit. However, when you've spent hours, days or weeks on a story and put your heart and soul into it, it is deflating to see a low score and have no idea why it was given.

I understand that forcing comments will cost me scores, but I feel that's a price worth paying for avoiding anonymously awarded 1s, 2s and 3s.

The bottom line is that I want people to enjoy my stories and be turned on by them.

Danielle xxx

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

I understand that forcing comments will cost me scores, but I feel that's a price worth paying for avoiding anonymously awarded 1s, 2s and 3s.

Fair enough but those 1,2,3's are pretty rare nowadays I'm finding. My recent stories are all a mix of 4s and 5s.

I wouldn't not score a story just because a comment was required because I normally comment on anything I bother to score anyway.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't mind it too much although I dislike that I can't properly read what I've typed in that line box and I also dislike the fact that spell checker doesn't seem to work in those forced comment boxes which is annoying when I notice I've made a mistake after posting!
The Linebacker
0 likes
I'm all for people having a multiple choice of options. That's one of the great things about this site. Choice.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
You can see when a member scores your story in your timeline, and anonymous votes aren't allowed, so those votes of less than four are all but non-existent nowadays. Too many reprisals for daring to vote anything but five have scared people off from doing so.

Just something to think about. It could get you a few more votes from people who shy away from the "must comment" restriction, and the odds of it resulting in low votes are near zilch anyway.

Quote by DanielleX
If I might give an opposing point of view: I respect anyone's right to score my stories as they see fit. However, when you've spent hours, days or weeks on a story and put your heart and soul into it, it is deflating to see a low score and have no idea why it was given.

The bottom line is that I want people to enjoy my stories and be turned on by them.

Danielle xxx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do not use this feature. Though as an author I thrive on comments, especially constructive criticism, I think readers should leave a comment because they desire to, not because they are prompted. With regards to scoring, I have mixed feelings. Votes in the current system are biased high due to lack of anonymity, but, while an anonymous system would result in more objective scores, it would potentially leave authors open to vindictive voting.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Wholelottarosie
How interesting. I do force a comment because of some very strange voting behaviour on my stories but to be honest it hasn't made much difference. Now I just get wonderfully positive comments and a lower score that doesn't match them.

So I achieved nothing really, I think I'll follow you all, open things up and just not look at the scores.

I've swung both ways on this Roz and you are right. I don't see much difference. I have a story now with 16 comments and score 11. All comments are good and all scores given are 5's. Go figure. I have opened up and will leave it that way.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I used to use this feature, because I had issues with someone. So, someone else suggested I use this. I did for almost a year. It annoyed a lot of people and they'd say so in the comments. I felt badly, and wanted to see what the difference was between having it forced and unforced. I think I get a lot more scores now that people are free to do so without having to leave a comment. Though more times than not, I get both a score and a comment.

Whatever I get, I'm happy with. After doing it for so long, you learn to appreciate things a little more differently.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't enforce it and whenever I find that someone else does, I usually change my mind about voting at all. I only have on story so far, and when someone votes, it makes me feel good. When they leave a comment, even better, but I'm not going to force them. It seems like people are just fishing for compliments when they insist upon that.
She's a saint with the lips of a sinner.
- r.m. drake
Chuckanator
0 likes
I've gone both ways. I required because some idiot gave my stories ones and twos. I'm not writing at the level yet of the premier authors here, but ones? I'm always honest on my scores and will even take the time to send a private message if I see an editing error or something that obviously needs corrections. After seeing the predominantly negative opinion, I will consider removing the feature. I am always appreciative of honest appraisal. Nympwriter, Sprite, Bethany Fraiser, and several others are not shy about correcting me and I am grateful.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
As a writer, I've used the feature before. But a few friends informed me that they didn't care for it; they left my stories voteless. So, I no longer use the feature.

I must say that it is nice to have a choice.

As a reader, I don't mind when the author uses this feature. However, I wish the writing space were a little bigger. It's difficult to proof my comment before pressing enter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a reader, I hate it! When I have a relevant, interesting comment to make, I do so; but I don't like being forced to write something in the comments just to give a score on a story. Most of the comments given on such stories end up being meaningless fluff -- a waste of time to read and write.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think if a person likes my stories enough to vote a 4 or a 5, they should take a few extra seconds and explain what they liked about the story.
As a writer, a number is just a number, and not a real reflection of a writer's ability. Knowing what you did right to earn the high mark means a lot more.