13 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
(Hehe)

*clears throat*

I'm having issues submitting my poem the way I wrote it. The spacing I made in the layout goes away after I click "submit". I edited and fixed the issue several times before throwing my hands up and giving up on it. Is this a common bug? Can anyone give me advice on the matter?

Also, I hope my poem I submitted doesn't get rejected because of the issue I can't fix! That would make me a sad panda. (Sadface)

Please check out my stories. <3
Head Penguin
0 likes
Hey! This is a known issue. I understand that for this specific issue, we will not reject your poem

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
This going to sound crazy and is tedious, but if you remove all the line breaks and spaces in edit mode and then put them back where you want them it should work when you press submit.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's exactly how I fix my poetry submissions when I'm using my phone or tablet (not an issue on a PC, though) and it works every time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
This going to sound crazy and is tedious, but if you remove all the line breaks and spaces in edit mode and then put them back where you want them it should work when you press submit.

Thank you for the tip! I was on my laptop and I was about ready to throw it out the window. :/ no bueno.

Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by sultry_eyes88
Thank you for the tip! I was on my laptop and I was about ready to throw it out the window. :/ no bueno.

On my laptop, I copy the story/poem over to notepad, then copy from there into the Lush edit box. Of course, italics and such need to be re-applied. For Mac OS, I've been told that pasting into TextEdit, pressing Cmd+Shift+T, then copying from there to Lush should also preserve spacing.

Edit: key combination corrected.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker

On my laptop, I copy the story/poem over to notepad, then copy from there into the Lush edit box. Of course, italics and such need to be re-applied. For Mac OS, I've been told that pasting into TextEdit, pressing Cmd+Shift+T, then copying from there to Lush should also preserve spacing.

Thank you Chrissie! This is the first time I've come across this issue..now I know what to do if it happens again. smile

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker

If Textedit is already set to default to plain text, then the 'Make Plain Text' (Cmd+Shift+T) is not needed anymore. By pasting the content into TextEdit, all style is then removed automaticly.

If the spacing you're talking about is having more that one space in between words, then you'll need non-breaking spaces (normaliy used to make sure that separate words act as one when reaching the end of a line). When rendering HTML content, multiple spaces are shown as one singular space. However non-breaking spaces are preserved. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space (Keyboard entry method) for how to insert them.

Oh, and please don't misuse them ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
If Textedit is already set to default to plain text, then the 'Make Plain Text' (Cmd+Shift+T) is not needed anymore. By pasting the content into TextEdit, all style is then removed automaticly.

If the spacing you're talking about is having more that one space in between words, then you'll need non-breaking spaces (normaliy used to make sure that separate words act as one when reaching the end of a line). When rendering HTML content, multiple spaces are shown as one singular space. However non-breaking spaces are preserved. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space (Keyboard entry method) for how to insert them.

Oh, and please don't misuse them ;)

Thank you. I don't own a Mac, so all I know is from hearsay smile I was primarily talking about vertical spacing (line/paragraph breaks), which gets messed up more often than not by pasting poems from office word processors or other web-based editors.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker
Thank you. I don't own a Mac, so all I know is from hearsay smile I was primarily talking about vertical spacing (line/paragraph breaks), which gets messed up more often than not by pasting poems from office word processors or other web-based editors.

Ah yeah, that was a bit confusing. Sorry. Second part of my comment was in response to OP.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

Ah yeah, that was a bit confusing. Sorry. Second part of my comment was in response to OP.

Thank you, I was referring to the vertical spacing like lines and paragraphs. smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, so I have typed my 16-line poem into the Lush editor, copy/pasted it out of TextEdit, out of the text editor, even out of Word, about 15 times in the last three days, and the poem never is right.

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

[code]
Line 1

Line 2
indented continuation of line 2

Line 3
indented continuation of line 3
second indented continuation of line 3

Line 4
[/code]

This is what it actually looks like:

[code]
Line 1

Line 2

unindented continuation of line 2

Line 3

unindented continuation of line 3

second unindented continuation of line 3

Line 4
[/code]

Except sometimes it has random second or third blank lines. When I delete the breaks and re-edit it back the way it's supposed to look, it always is wrong.

This is just maddening. I know it must be possible to do because I see lots of poems that are formatted correctly.
There should be a nonbreaking line break character I can insert, similar to the nonbreaking space character.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
The Linebacker
0 likes
There is sometimes a glitch, I am sure caused from using certain word processing software. I use Apple's Pages to write in, and my stories and poems never paste in correctly spaced and formatted.

The way around that is to paste your poem or story into a pm and send it to yourself. Then copy and paste the received story or poem into the text editor box, Double check that and if it's okay, click submit.

Also, if working on your formatting in the editor box, don't use the return at the end of a line, rather return from the beginning of the next line.

Those are the best fixes that I know of and usually work very well.

If you have any other problems, please contact me or another story mod and we'll help you get your poem formatted correctly.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you, Buz. this almost worked, except I am told there is no way to indent text.

The result: Doorbell

Thanks to Buz, Mysteria, Liz and Sprite, who all tried to help me out with this.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.