last reply
17 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Dear writers,

50 shades made a shit load of money. it was written by a woman who knows nothing about bdsm for people who know nothing about bdsm. please, if you're going to write bdsm stories, learn about bdsm first - it's not just about spankings and physical and verbal abuse. it's incredibly layered and nuanced. thank you.

xo
cranky mod #12

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
WELL, FUCK!!

*scraps story*

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dani
WELL, FUCK!!

*scraps story*

50 shades of pickles, however... biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I love fried pickles!
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Does this mean I have to pull my only BDSM story? It earned an RR after all. I will admit... it's pretty mild... I'm sure the true BDSM folks laughed at it. That's okay... laughter is a positive emotion.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Pickle the First was grossly unappreciated...and you think you're worthy of a sequel?

Pfft.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
I read the first Fifty Shades book and thought it, at best, tedious. My girlfriend bought a copy and I felt inclined to read it just to see what all the fuss was about.

But at the end of the day, one good thing can be said about that trilogy of books: they had an enormous positive impact on the sex industry. For example, I read somewhere that Ann Summers saw its biggest sales spike ever as a result of the success of the Fifty Shades series. And I assume that it had a similar impact on the sales of erotic literature. People who had never read an erotic book before, or any book for that matter, were suddenly trawling through the web, book stores and libraries looking for erotic literature. When something achieves that level of success, it has a knock-on effect to other parts of that industry.

Now I will stick my neck out and go as far as to say that the popularity of erotic literature reached its peak in 2012/2013 as a direct result of the Fifty Shades furore, and has been in steady decline ever since.

Now this is merely assumption on my part; I've no facts or statistics to back it up. But I've based this assumption on the fact that sex stories were more popular on this site back in 2012/2013. I've been perusing through old stories on this site and noticed that votes, comments and views were far more prolific back in 12/13.

Now, was this a result of the Fifty Shades phenomena? Someone give me a clue.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Surely the lesson is DON'T learn anything about your subject matter if you want to succeed. This site has done very well, indirectly, from 50 shades - see how many times it crops up in people's favourite books on their profiles. Many people find this place because they want the same hit (excuse the pun) they got from 50 shades.

The trouble with BDSM is the amount of "you wouldn't understand, you're not in the lifestyle" bullshit. Thankfully there's a lot less of that here than there is in other places. If it's good for those involved (or those who read it) who's to say they're doing it "wrong".

It IS about spanking, it IS about abuse, IF that's what you want it to be. It's a codependency party everyone's invited to.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
OMKN is right about LUSH being a much kinder sight for writers of bd/sm stories than many others on the net.

As for traffic being down, if that really is the case, odds are it has more to do with dropping incest stories than with a post-50 slump..
RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
As for traffic being down, if that really is the case, odds are it has more to do with dropping incest stories than with a post-50 slump..

I can't comment on traffic being down; I've only been here a month, so it could be up for all I know.

I just noticed that there's not as many people reading the stories as there once were, and thought it might be due to to, as you call it, 'the post-50 slump'.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Dear writers,

50 shades made a shit load of money. it was written by a woman who knows nothing about bdsm for people who know nothing about bdsm. please, if you're going to write bdsm stories, learn about bdsm first - it's not just about spankings and physical and verbal abuse. it's incredibly layered and nuanced. thank you.

xo
cranky mod #12

Well cranky mod #12, I agree with you. I started to read it and couldn't get past the fifth chapter. The biggest tub of horse shit ever. I don't believe in violence on women but might make an exception in her case.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Surely the lesson is DON'T learn anything about your subject matter if you want to succeed. This site has done very well, indirectly, from 50 shades - see how many times it crops up in people's favourite books on their profiles. Many people find this place because they want the same hit (excuse the pun) they got from 50 shades.

The trouble with BDSM is the amount of "you wouldn't understand, you're not in the lifestyle" bullshit. Thankfully there's a lot less of that here than there is in other places. If it's good for those involved (or those who read it) who's to say they're doing it "wrong".

It IS about spanking, it IS about abuse, IF that's what you want it to be. It's a codependency party everyone's invited to.

Can't disagree with you here tbh.

Its through reading the book that I explored and found the site.

I did by book 3 get totally bored, and have since joining here learned that Christian Grey is a pussy when it comes to being a Dominant..not that I am a sub or into that thing really tbh.,,no disrespect to anyone who is though as that's your sexual preference.

Agree with Sprite woman clearly didn't know anything about BDSM, I felt this even before I joined here the worst he did was belt her and she left him so it was hardly hardcore was it??

But it was a major read which got people looking more into it, most likely based on her lack of knowledge on the subject..Hence people finding Lush.

Film seriously sucked though imo...characters sucked very poor choice, i didn't fancy the bloke who played Christian one bit tbh and I though the woman who played Ana a very poor actress and I just did not feel the chemistry between the two of them, it just didn't work.

Thing is though it got other writers following suit, much like the Twilight series which again suck in comparison to JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood ect but what I have enjoyed is Sylvia Days Crossfire books, though she should have ended at 3 books as stated seems a bit ongoing now..but I found her books far more realistic than Fifty shades and the passion between Gideon and Eva far more realistic as well as their struggles in their relationship.

I don't profess to know much about BDSM, I understand some men/ women need it, I don't think the writer knew much about it I agree with that but I also agree it helped sites like Lush and other writers who have since written far better stories on the subject, it only takes one be it crap or not compared to the rest. It opens a window which is all an author really needs is it not?
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
OMKN is right about LUSH being a much kinder sight for writers of bd/sm stories than many others on the net.

part of the reason that stories don't get as many comments is we've grown. i've been modding 5 years now and it used to be we'd get 10 stories a day on average. now it's more like 50. that means that there's a lot of stories competing for reads, and the readership is spread out more, hence the decline of comments and votes on individual stories.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

part of the reason that stories don't get as many comments is we've grown. i've been modding 5 years now and it used to be we'd get 10 stories a day on average. now it's more like 50. that means that there's a lot of stories competing for reads, and the readership is spread out more, hence the decline of comments and votes on individual stories.

Fifty stories per day? Fucking hell! I knew that you people on the mod team were being overwhelmed with stories, but I didn't realise it was to that extent.

This is the reason for me holding back my stories -- I get the impression that the people vetting the stories are struggling under the weight of demand. There's been ninety-three stories published over the past seven days, which amounts to 13.3 per day and means that the backlog must be immense.

I feel sorry for the people on the moderating team -- they have to read my fucking awful stories for a start. Now if that's not bad enough, they also have importunate pricks moaning about the length of time it takes for their stories to be published. It winds me up, so I'm gonna leave it there otherwise I'm gonna go into a diatribe of curse words and I really do not want to go there.

Look, the mods do a stellar job, and I have the utmost respect for those who volunteer their free time to read our stories.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

Fifty stories per day? Fucking hell! I knew that you people on the mod team were being overwhelmed with stories, but I didn't realise it was to that extent.

This is the reason for me holding back my stories -- I get the impression that the people vetting the stories are struggling under the weight of demand. There's been ninety-three stories published over the past seven days, which amounts to 13.3 per day and means that the backlog must be immense.

I feel sorry for the people moderating team -- they have to read my fucking awful stories for a start. Now if that's not bad enough, they also have importunate pricks moaning about the length of time it takes for their stories to be published. It winds me up, so I'm gonna leave it there otherwise I'm gonna go into a diatribe of curse words and I really do not want to go there.

Look, the mods do a stellar job, and I have the utmost respect for those who volunteer their free time to read our stories.

Agree the mods do a fantastic job, but i am failing to see a badge.3XgX0RIA6r6VP7OV
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kiera

Agree the mods do a fantastic job, but i am failing to see a badge.ytZ4xawxbbmjNxoq

Oh, you mean the gold membership. Sorry, I'm a bit slow.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm going to be here long term. Don't get me wrong, this a fantastic site, the best of its kind, but I don't think that I'm going to fit in around here. Allow me to elaborate.

First, I am by NO means a hostile or obnoxious person. No, quite the opposite. But I am an extrovert and have an eccentric personality. You've only got to look at my forum posts for conformation of that. Now, I've noticed that a lot of people on here are very sensitive, and I hate the thought of offending people. I'm a true Brit in that respect -- I hate offending and upsetting people. As soon as I think that I've offended someone, I will walk away. I've never been one to outstay my welcome.

Second, I joined this site for one reason: to improve my writing skills. Unfortunately for me, I don't think that I fit in to the erotic writing scene. You've only got to read my stories for conformation of that. Other people on here seem to have an artistic elegance about them which I, unfortunately, do not possess. I'm a bit of a Neanderthal in that respect. For me, a night of romance consists of a few pints of lager down the pub followed by a doner kebab and and a good shag once we arrive back home.

So you can see my predicament here?

I've been a closet geek all my life and have always followed the crowd, been one of the "lads". But I am now at a point in my life where I just think "fuck it", I am what I am, and if people can't accept me for who I am, that's their loss.
Lurker
0 likes
Should I decide to buy a membership after my three-month, free subscription expires, what means of payment are available?

I only ask because a couple of years ago I went on a bit of wild one, going out on the lash every night and pissing money up a wall like there was no tomorrow. Ever since, my girlfriend has been hot on my case, checking my bank statements regularly to make sure that I'm not squandering our money. Now, if she were to clock an outgoing bank transaction made to a sex site, there's a good chance that I'll be waking up the next morning wearing my bollocks as earrings.

Admittedly, wearing my balls as earrings might be a nice touch, improve my looks a little, but, to be honest, I've no desire to find out.

So is there any means of payment other than bank transfer?