Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Tanning Bed Awareness and the effects it can have!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!

last reply
7 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Megan was a 33 year old mother who lost her battle with Melanoma; our mission is to educate people on the importance of wearing sunscreen. "Life Over Beauty!!"Please Protect your skin, NO tan is worth your life. "
Rest In Peace Megan.
Megan's Mission
In Loving Memory of Megan King Horner
"The tanning bed industry is knowingly infecting people with skin cancer and they do not inform the public of the risks; they do the exact opposite and attempt to defend the "myths" about tanning beds. The American Suntanning Association compares the tanning industry to tobacco companies; I find a few things very interesting about this statement. First, they are admitting that they are aware of the dangers of their tanning beds and that they cause cancer, why else would they compare themselves??? Second, the tobacco companies spend billions of dollars to inform consumers of the risk of using tobacco products; while the (ASA) is focusing all of their resources on attempting to prove the "myths" of tanning beds. The president of the ASA stated that their #1 goal was to get more patrons into their facilities, not to make the beds safer or to inform consumers that using the tanning bed one time will increase their risk of getting skin cancer by 76%. My goal is to make the tanning bed industry accountable for the destruction they cause to thousands of families. They are knowingly infecting people with cancer and cancer kills!
"Experts said there is no longer significant scientific debate that indoor tanning causes cancer. In 2009, tanning devices were classified as carcinogenic by the World Health Organization. That was based on an analysis of 20 studies that found the risk of melanoma rose 75 percent in people who started indoor tanning before age 30." (NY Daily News).
The Linebacker
0 likes
I live in the deep south where it is warm most of the year. Growing up, my parents had a swimming pool and we lived on a large lake. So I was always swimming and going shirtless in the boat, water skiing and jet skiing. Spending so much time outside I would get very tan. Now at age 29, I've already twice had to have basil cell skin cancer cut off of me. The last time left a 3-inch scar across the top of my shoulder. The first time was on my head, near my face. All of that was from the regular sun, I can only imagine how much worse it would be from using tanning beds.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was addicted to tanning beds too when I was 16 and faced the consequences too and still am.
Lurker
0 likes
I could be an alien, I'm not a fan of the sun or heat. I'd rather stay cool or out of it if or when I can.

I haven't been to a tanning bed for a very long time, will never visit one again.

I visited them in my teens also.

It was usually one month of tanning everyday and that was it.
Lurker
0 likes
Melanoma is directly caused by ultraviolet light (Fact)
Sunlight contains UV light in its spectrum so it follows that sunlight causes melanoma. (Fact)
Some people have more melanin (pigment) in their skins and are able to tolerate more UV light than fair skinned people. (Fact)
Tanning machines stimulate pigment production with large doses of UV light. Therefore it follows that tanning machines cause the development of melanoma in people who use them. (Fact)
The incidence of melanoma in the users of sun beds is higher than in the general population. (Fact)
Therefore there can be no Myths about any of this. What the industry publishes are therefore untruths, cynically motivated by the desire to make a profit from what is a hazardous activity.
There are words to describe this. In my view it is criminal activity.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
For years I visited tanning salons daily. My spouse has forbidden me to go to them anymore.

I do spend a lot of time in the sun, however I always wear sunscreen.

Now that I'm a mother I worry about skin cancer more. I'm diligent with wearing sunscreen.

Hopefully for all they years I spent in the tanning salons I won't get skin cancer. I do think about this now.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
0 likes
I guess it wouldn't have been as freaky to see the two chicks from Final destination 3 just die from skin cancer. So even if they didn't get trapped inside the tanning beds, they were gonna die? That's too bad, I had no idea it was that serious quite honestly.

My mom and sister used to tan a lot, but I don't think they do as much if at all anymore. I've never been a fan of tanning, the most I've ever done was just waiting for the pool to open. I always made sure to wear sunblock, as the sun has always been a pain in my shoulders, back, face, arms, legs and chest.

Every time I get burned, I swear, never again, but somehow it happens again. Even when I'm not swimming and out for an extended amount of time in the sun, I always at least try to remember to wear sunblock. The sun can be nice, but also be a mean bitch.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
I guess it wouldn't have been as freaky to see the two chicks from Final destination 3 just die from skin cancer.

This is why I never have and never will use a tanning bed. Even if they're not the coffin box style ones. They just freak me out!