I believe..

last reply
27 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe that after at least a year of not being active on the site that the profile should be deleted. Cause it is very misleading for others on this site. Do you agree with me on this subject?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Nope, I don't agree.

There are plenty of great authors who don't visit the site much anymore, but who still have many quality stories accessible on their profiles. They still contribute to Lush in a much more positive way than some other 'active' members, in my honest opinion.

You can always check the 'Last Visit' in people's profiles anyway. And if you send inactive members a Friend-request and they don't reply, I don't see why that would be such a big issue either.
Chuckanator
0 likes
I can see your point. It is sad to see a well recieved author leaving this community. There are plenty non authors or non contributors that came on site to read some hot stories or find a person to with that have been inactive and probably should be dropped. Also many active members have ghost accounts.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
No. As mentioned above, some people have put a lot of time and effort into helping this site grow. who knows why they are inactive? maybe they've grown bored, maybe they are no longer in a place where they can access Lush. Maybe they're dead. I sincerely hope that, if i ever disappear, no one will come along a year later and just toss my stories in the trash like they are worthless. I hope that, even if i am not around, i leave some sort of legacy for people to enjoy. if someone wishes to delete their account, that is their right, but, unless it's for breaking TOS, i don't think anyone has the right to make that decision for them.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
I think the profile and stories should stay. In fact one profile is a friend who passed away. Its a great remembrance. Their stories are still here. I think that's what they'd want.

I know if something happened to me I'd want my stories to remain. I write them to be read and enjoyed.

And in some cases people come back after a year or more away. There are all kinds of reasons for taking an absence.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
I can see your point. It is sad to see a well recieved author leaving this community. There are plenty non authors or non contributors that came on site to read some hot stories or find a person to with that have been inactive and probably should be dropped. Also many active members have ghost accounts.

Ghost accounts?

What does that mean?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart

Ghost accounts?

What does that mean?

1 person having several lush accounts I suppose. and that's not allowed on Lush.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by tashitasha

1 person having several lush accounts I suppose. and that's not allowed on Lush.

But wouldn't the ip addresses match?

Wouldn't it catch those who do that?

I don't know.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If a profile has submitted a story that went on to be approved and published, then I don't think their profile should ever be deleted for just not logging in.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
thank you for the feed back and yes the stories they have left behind do make up for a lot and yes some of the stories I have read the person hasn't been logged into the account for over a year so good point
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart

But wouldn't the ip addresses match?

Wouldn't it catch those who do that?

I don't know.

I suppose that the IP addresses would match but that could always indicate it was two users sharing a computer, like a couple where each had their own accounts.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by dwn4u
I believe that after at least a year of not being active on the site that the profile should be deleted. Cause it is very misleading for others on this site. Do you agree with me on this subject?

I do not agree with your post at all.

misleading? misleading about what??

As an author, I won't be deleting my account ever again (as I have deleted my account before) .... and I'd like my stories to stay here, for the enjoyment of others (I hope) .... until the internet blows up.

I checked your profile, and it appears you like to read the stories we have here on Lush .... so wouldn't you want the stories to stay here for your own enjoyment?

Van
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe... In nothing, Not the end and not the start
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dwn4u

Sorry I can't agree with you. There are authors who have sadly passed away, and their stories are their legacy, for us all to continue to enjoy, even though they will never know that.

As an author myself, I hope that posterity might judge my contributions in the same way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
ok for the ones that have not wrote a story or poem or anything like that it's just a profile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some people (the ones with red and white profile pics, blank profiles, no followed authors, no forum posts and no stories) aren't interested in contributing much to the website. If they are reading stories, they aren't contributing by commenting or voting on them, because there is no activity on their page to indicate it.

Others just haven't logged on in months, and have given no indication on their profile if they will ever return. Perhaps they forgot their password, or just don't like the site anymore. Whatever the reason, they wouldn't even notice if their profiles were deleted.

After a year of inactivity, I think it is completely fair (and logical) for Lush powers that be to delete inactive and empty profiles, provided any contributing stories were archived somehow. Perhaps the stories from inactive members (or members who have passed away) can be collected and posted into special category called "Past Contributions", or "In Memoriam". This way, those of us still here can continue to enjoy their work, but those profiles can be deleted to create more hosting space for new members.
0 likes
Having not been on in over a year due to a relationship and a broken laptop

I get your point

And would understand as it is a long time

Maybe not deleted but suspended...

But am so very grateful it wasn't

Missed my friends but they moved on...again understandable!

But in the end the site should do what it is best for them

But thank u with all my heart for not deleting me
Lurker
0 likes
In half price cheeseburgers
Lurker
0 likes
I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky....
Convict
0 likes
For curiosity's sake, what if it is an account that has been inactive for a year, perhaps 2, and there were no stories? I'm assuming there is no necessity to do that however there are lot of inactive accounts appear if I'm doing a search for someone. I'm not suggesting it. Only asking.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart
I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky....

I think about it night and day...
She's a saint with the lips of a sinner.
- r.m. drake
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There must be a thousand reasons why a member has been away for a period of time. Sickness, Travel or a whole truck load of other possible issues. They may not be sharing their writing with the whole neighborhood, but privately instead with people that they value.

Just because you have not written something for publication does not mean it will not happen soon. I have been trying to tell you a story and every time I finish it. It reads as abuse, which it was not.

Some of us seem to be able to sit down and write a good line in a short time. but other of us it is a real struggle.

Because we do not all have your highest talent level should we be banned?

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i'm on the fence. i originally joined this site in 09, but didn't log in again until 12. although, i wouldn't have had a problem making a new profile. i often wonder if abandoned profiles add to the site's costs/tech issues.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped
i'm on the fence. i originally joined this site in 09, but didn't log in again until 12. although, i wouldn't have had a problem making a new profile. i often wonder if abandoned profiles add to the sites costs/tech issues.
I would think so, it is a ton of maintenance. Multi accounts may be the reason, well one of a lot. Why another site is now unalive.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
There are quite a few profiles created ages ago that are just a name and that are never used since creation (or so it seems at least). I wouldn't mind if those were deleted. Maybe after five years of inactivity, if the profile only contains a name for instance. The earliest members had the best username options. Some of these options might become available again this way.
Inactive profiles that have a history, other than a Yearling badge and five happy birthdays from the Lush team on their wall, could be left alone. But even profiles that have some content could perhaps be deleted after x years. I can imagine that having stories would mean no deletion ever. Maybe the same for friends, forum/group posts, or having PMs. Blog posts and galleries could weigh less perhaps (shorter expiration date).

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you delete based on what you believe others should be doing on this site then no... Who should dictate another persons activity level or what they do on this site.... Once you start doing that, you cross a really bad line....
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by JC72
If you delete based on what you believe others should be doing on this site then no... Who should dictate another persons activity level or what they do on this site.... Once you start doing that, you cross a really bad line....

It's not about what others should be doing. It's that they're not doing anything anymore for a long time. And based on what they've been doing in the past you could put an expiration date on that. Like whether there's content connected to the profile that has any value to the site or other users, whether there's private content that may be important to the user themselves (you may wonder how important that is after five years of not looking into it).

If a profile has no data other than a username, just a totally empty profile, and the last activity date is the same as the 'Date joined', would it then be OK to delete such account after say five years?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===