Do people navigate using pages?

last reply
32 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Code Monkey
0 likes
For shits and giggles, does anyone here actually use the page numbers at the bottom of the story lists (home page)? I’m not sure what the value is with them, especially as the numbers grow.

If I remove them and replace with a <Prev Next> links instead is anyone going to contract kill me?

Cheers, gav
English Rose
0 likes
I sometimes do if I'm looking for a random story I may not have seen that was posted in the mists of Lush time. I often go into the Lesbian category (my fav) and pick a random page from months/years ago and find something to read. There's some real gems buried back there. I wouldn't be able to do that with Prev/Next links.

Having said that, if it's changed I'll work round that and find another way to find older stories and give my personal contract killer the day off instead. You're safe lol
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
How about swapping it out for a 'Go to page number:' and then an input field? In between the Prev/Next links of course.
Matriarch
0 likes
I think it's pretty pointless because you can't use it to work out where you've read up to. If you weren't on site for 2 weeks, there may have been several hundred new submissions since then.

Better would be to have a bookmark of some kind, so when you return, it remembers which story list page you were last on.

Talking of bookmarks, it would be nice to have the same thing at story page level, so when you return, it remembers how far down the page you were. I have seen this at work on other forums, so it should be possible at page level.

While we're here (), I've seen mentioned by many people, the request to have a "Top" button on the story pages. I have seen this on other sites, where there's a "Top" link in a light coloured box, which sits floating in the bottom right of the page, so as not to interfere with the content.

Could you look at adding that to the story page template too please?

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I bet he's sorry he asked now.
English Rose
0 likes
Quote by Liz
How about swapping it out for a 'Go to page number:' and then an input field? In between the Prev/Next links of course.

That would work for me, as long as I knew what the highest numbered page that I could select was.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Code Monkey
0 likes
Well..... To work out how many pages you have you frist need to know your collection size. So that's a query for the total count and a hit for the page you're after. At the moment we cache these counts so its not too much strain on the db. I'm working on a change to split stories and poetry up, so now the cache gets a little more complicated. Would be nice to not have to worry about pages and collection counts altogether.

Is everyone with me?
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth

That would work for me, as long as I knew what the highest numbered page that I could select was.

The highest page count you could select is Int.MaxValue which is 2,147,483,647
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth

I bet there's some fab stories on Page No 1,683,281,342

Stay away from those early pages, that was pre-moderation times. Beware all ye that enter.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Stay away from those early pages, that was pre-moderation times. Beware all ye that enter.

Now that sounds really interesting....
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola

While we're here ()

...and while you are at it

I have suggestion for automatic welcome message for new members (I assume there is one).

Besides general site rules and perhaps explanation of the premium accounts, wouldn't hurt if that message contains one useful advice, which is, if something is wrong on the site they should check Site Announcement forum and if it is not and they see that Gav has posted something there they should probably read it, if they want to get informed.

Of course, it should be worded differently, depends how whole message is written altogether.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by gav
For shits and giggles, does anyone here actually use the page numbers at the bottom of the story lists (home page)? I’m not sure what the value is with them, especially as the numbers grow.

If I remove them and replace with a <Prev Next> links instead is anyone going to contract kill me?

Cheers, gav

I do, but only when i'm cooking up stats to throw around the forum. That said, I usually monkey with the query string to get to where I think I need to go rather than using the numbered links
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

I do, but only when i'm cooking up stats to throw around the forum. That said, I usually monkey with the query string to get to where I think I need to go rather than using the numbered links

Never fear, category numbers will still be available through the mobile site.

I think its safe to assume that I can remove these links now. That's a big win, one less query to run and cache.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I never use them, but I guess search engines follow them. If so, removing them could have a big impact on stories being found through Google and 'friends'. With one 'Next' link on the homepage, only the stories on the second page are one link removed from the homepage. With paged navigation, like it is now, there are many more stories that are one link removed from the homepage. This can have a huge impact on the ranking of those stories.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
I never use them, but I guess search engines follow them. If so, removing them could have a big impact on stories being found through Google and 'friends'. With one 'Next' link on the homepage, only the stories on the second page are one link removed from the homepage. With paged navigation, like it is now, there are many more stories that are one link removed from the homepage. This can have a huge impact on the ranking of those stories.

Interesting point.

However, at the moment, only pages 1-10 and then the last 2 pages are linked. So that's only 12 pages.

Any idea how we could get google to spider the site more deeply? You seem a bit of an expert on these things. Any help always appreciated!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Interesting point.

However, at the moment, only pages 1-10 and then the last 2 pages are linked. So that's only 12 pages.

Any idea how we could get google to spider the site more deeply? You seem a bit of an expert on these things. Any help always appreciated!

The number links aren't that effective on SEs as the information and links on them are always changing. Google already spiders the site pretty well for each category and looks to treat them as landing pages in their own right. I know in the past that Google itself recommended there should be less than a hundred links per page - this sounds a lot but they soon add up - if you can get rid of less effective links, you really should. The fewer options the spiders have, the more likely they'll go where you want them to.

The home page currently contains 546 link tags
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Not an expert at all. I know some basics, but prefer not to bother with search engine optimization too much. Only advice I can give is: build your site for users (content/accessibility/usability), not for search engines. Only add things for search engines if they don't hinder the user and make sure users and search engines get served the same content. Otherwise you may get penalized or even banned for search engine spamming.

All overview pages are not really interesting as result pages, but very interesting for linking to other pages, so you may want to tell search engines that they should not index those, but only follow their links. It's the pages with the stories and profiles themselves are the ones you want to have indexed. By telling search engines which pages to index and which not you get less pages in Google and others, but they're of higher value (less competition between pages within the site).

Quote by overmykneenow
The number links aren't that effective on SEs as the information and links on them are always changing. Google already spiders the site pretty well for each category and looks to treat them as landing pages in their own right. I know in the past that Google itself recommended there should be less than a hundred links per page - this sounds a lot but they soon add up - if you can get rid of less effective links, you really should. The fewer options the spiders have, the more likely they'll go where you want them to.

The home page currently contains 546 link tags

I happily pass the 'assumed expert' title to you ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
maybe if the page numbers looked more like this?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by gav

Cheers, gav

Well, I won't kill you .... but .... I do use them. I am probably less than 5% of the population that does use them.

I can get around without the page navigator .... Thanks for letting me know it will be obsolete!

Van
Lurker
0 likes
There are some super amazing older stories in the back.

Definitely worth scrolling through.

Really freaking amazing stories.

Matriarch
0 likes
Thank you for the feedback re the spidering.

After spending many hours researching, I have a solution which will be implemented in the coming weeks. It will be both useful for surfers as well as helping spider the site more effectively. It will make greater use of our tag database.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola

After spending many hours researching, I have a solution which will be implemented in the coming weeks. It will be both useful for surfers as well as helping spider the site more effectively. It will make greater use of our tag database.

Oh, you wicked tease. Xx

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola

does it involve cats? biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Matriarch
0 likes
Stay tuned (damn stoned / tuned autocorrect)
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by sprite

does it involve cats? biggrin

Mainly 1's and 0's.

And a genius one of these, without which, this site wouldn't be possible

I can't even start to imagine how you join 5 servers together to spit out a site like this. It's quite remarkable really.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola

I can't even start to imagine how you join 5 servers together to spit out a site like this. .

i can. lots of duct tape and a team of super cats and 4 gallons of glitter. oh, and a gav. smile

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Cheers, gav

Yes I use page numbers at the bottom of the story lists at home page. And I'd suggest you not to fiddle with the numbers there.... smile
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I suggest you bring back those page numbers. Please.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
There is an easy workaround for people that want to navigate to a specific page number - just edit the page URL.

If you go to the front page and click the 'Next' button to move to page 2, the URL looks like this:

[code]https://www.lushstories.com/?page=2&cs=30[/code]

Just edit where it says 'page=2' to the number you wish to look at.

For example - if I wanted to go to page 37, I'd just edit it to look like this:

[code]https://www.lushstories.com/?page=37&cs=30[/code]

Works a treat.

L x