Announcing the Winners of our Valentine's Day Poetry Competition

last reply
55 replies
4.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I am delighted to say that this poetry competition was a huge success. It's wonderful to see that the art of contemporary poetry is thriving.

Poetry is perhaps the most subjective of literary art forms. As such, it can be difficult to judge objectively, since poetry in many ways demands more of the readers imagination and involvement.

Our judging panel definitely proved this to be true, with a huge variation in their preferential rankings.

However, 3 of the poems were very well supported across the board. I bring to you the winning entries:

Winner ($100): I Hate You, by avrgblkgrl
Second Place (Gold Membership): Exempt, by Possibly
Third Place (Silver Membership): Aftermath, by shrpsf

Honourable mentions go to the following authors and their excellent entries:

Ti Amo, by gilrenard
My Gift, by ChrissieLecker
House of Mirrors, by Delphi
Soft Lamps, by elliotlacey31
A Valentine's Fantasia, by playsit
Nicola Allows Me One Cliche, by flytoomuch
Drive Mad, by TheScheherezadeFeint
Kisses On Dew, by adagio_sabadicus
One last time, by JWren
Your Valentine Gift, by BethanyFrasier
The Feast Of Saint Valentine, by Green_Man
Two Snowflakes, by SheriPie
Flood of Fires, by bigbubblygurlnc

Thank you all for making this poetry competition a great success. We are sure to run another later in the year.

Cheers,

Nicola
Lurker
0 likes
Congrats to all and the winners and to everyone who submitted.

I called ABG and shrpsf.

I loved the entries. Very beautiful all.

Congrats to the top 3!!
And the other winners.
0 likes
Congrats, avrgblkgrl, Possibly and shrpsf.
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations to the winners and runners up.
I have taken the results of this competition as an indication that my belief that I could write reasonable poetry as a delusion, so I have removed all my poems from public view. I am not sure whether this is because they are technically flawed, or because they are just rubbish. I will publish mo more here.
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations to all the winners and runners-up, well done to you and everybody that entered the competition...
Lurker
0 likes
Great and well-called result.

Congrats to The Top Three, all on the short-list and all who entered.

(Such an amazing community of writers right across the board.)

xx Stephen
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

Lurker
0 likes
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! Especially to Emily!!! You go, girl! *hugs*
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Congratulations, Reggie, Emily, and the honorable mentions! Thanks to the judges and everyone who supported the contest!
Story Verifier
0 likes
Well done Emily. Congrats also to all those mentioned.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations!!! No surprises there really, some great writing was in that competition
Lurker
0 likes
I Hate You was my choice for winner too; Exempt and Aftermath were also two of my favorites, congrats ladies - your poems were awesome... again.

The entries were all over the place as far as mood and style, but the judging was spot on. Good job to everyone who waded through all the submissions.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So many entries in this one...the judges chose wisely, I think. Congrats to the winners and to those who got honorable mention! Some really good stuff!
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Congrats to the winners and everyone on the list!!!
0 likes
Congratulations to the winners and to all the honorable mentions! This competition really brought out some excellent poetry.
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
WillGreybeard! Don't be so bitter!
I didn't get a mention either but that doesn't mean that mine was bad, any more than yours is.
It just means the others were better... or better advertised, or have more friends.
Don't you dare give up. How will you hone your craft if you give up at the first hurdle?
Take the experience and grow.
Consider this a slapped wrist and get you work in the open again!
Now you take care and:
NEVER GIVE UP! always look forwards, never backwards.
Anna.
WooHoo!!!! 27,000 views! Could I dare to hope for a famous story...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/milf/the-runner.aspx
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Will_greybeard
I have taken the results of this competition as an indication that my belief that I could write reasonable poetry as a delusion, so I have removed all my poems from public view. I am not sure whether this is because they are technically flawed, or because they are just rubbish. I will publish mo more here.

I'm so sorry that's how you feel. I actually hate competitions, but I enter sometimes, because it amuses me. I am under no illusions that I am the sort of writer who would win such things. Yes, I know some big words, and believe in punctuation. But when I enter a competition, I am simply sticking my fingers up at a personal challenge to my own sad skills. I don't see it as a challenge for my skills against another's even though that's what competitions are supposed to be.

And here's the kicker: it amuses me, because what I enter (in my own mind) is always a piece I write tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes, my poor readers like my daft offerings, and sometimes they don't. And that's okay. I know I can't win, because I'm not what competition winners are about. I'll never truly be in their erotic writer gold prize winning ranks by way of being... well, who I am. But I could be. Maybe. If I practice, and hone, and use failure to fuel my desire to be a good writer, maybe one day I will be a listed winner.

But as it stands, I am a winner because I managed to write a piece, and have it published. I am a champion because something I penned resonated with a small handful of kind readers. Stuff anything else, I'm brilliant because I'm here. I find healing and/or amusement when my health allows me to write. Every piece that I write, whether it is better or worse than my last, and decidedly crapper than Lush winners, is a prize to myself for the difficulty it took to produce it.

Please, use the tumult and storm of passion you feel now to produce more pieces. One day, perhaps what the judges are looking for in a particular competition will be encapsulated in something you produced from the bowels of rage, or the weeping of rejection. You won't know unless you continue on this writer's journey. Never mind other contestants and what they produce - splay your heart and soul across the screen because you can; because you wish to; because you are a winner; because you are a champion.

Well done, not only to the prize winners, but every winner who ever manages to post, whether noted or not.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Sergeant Turnip
0 likes
Congratulations to everyone that entered the competition! And well done to the winners. smile
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Delighted for everyone. I loved seeing the diversity in the entries. Well done to the whole top ten xx
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Please, use the tumult and storm of passion you feel now to produce more pieces. One day, perhaps what the judges are looking for in a particular competition will be encapsulated in something you produced from the bowels of rage, or the weeping of rejection. You won't know unless you continue on this writer's journey. Never mind other contestants and what they produce - splay your heart and soul across the screen because you can; because you wish to; because you are a winner; because you are a champion.

Well done, not only to the prize winners, but every winner who ever manages to post, whether noted or not.

Very well said!

Congrats to all that entered, and a very special congratulations to the winners! Judging this time was difficult!
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Thank you everyone and kisses for the judges. I am pleasantly surprised. There was definitely something for everyone in this competition. Congrats to all who entered because you helped make the poetry competition a success. That makes this poet extremely happy. A special bow in appreciation and complete awe to Emily and Tamar, as well as the honorable mentions. It is my honor to be among such great writers and part of a community that is so encouraging.

Soooo...having said all that...
You knew it was coming...Wait for it...

Yeah! I'm doing the happy dance.

? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all who entered. It's competitions like these that sharpen all of our skills! Well done!
0 likes
Congratulation to the winners and honourable mentions - you were all on my short list...along with pretty much everyone else!! Such a tough competition, my short list was LONG! Fair play to the judges for sorting through them, and well done to the top 3 +

Can I just say how much I enjoyed being a part of this competition. I had positive comments from people I'd never spoken to before and found some brilliant authors whose work was previously unknown to me. I've added a few people to my friends list, I've followed a few more, and I'm chuffed to bits to have received more interest in my poem than I've had for anything else I've posted. It still didn't get me a mention, but I don't see that as a negative thing, merely a reflection of the quality I was up against. The competition was a hard fought one and that's a good thing.

Hey, I'll get a mention next time...or the time after that, maybe Bring on the next competition
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Congratulations to the winners, runners up and honorable mentions.

It was lots of fun being part of the Poetry Contest.

Hugs and Kisses,
Mysteria

0 likes
*Adds to the applause* Excellent choices all round! Congratulations to the winners and runners-up!
0 likes
Quote by Will_greybeard

Really? I read a lot of entries that did not make the cut but that doesn't mean they are rubbish, just that it was a very good, competitive field. Heck, one that I thought would make the final three isn't even a runner-up.

For my part, mine didn't make the cut but it was also my very first try at a poem here (I have written them sporadically for years) and got a lot of positive comments so likely will not be my last.
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations to all the winners and runners-up... you all are beautiful people.... Love you all

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't always agree with the judges, but certainly do this time. And, "I Hate You" was simply a cut above the rest.

There was some superior work done by the winners and runners up.