Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Should I have asked this question earlier?

last reply
30 replies
3.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
So I met a man online--here, actually. We've been talking for several months, and recently arranged to meet up in the very near future. Hotel reservations, restaurant plans, time arranged to be off work, the whole bit.

At any rate, I thought I'd asked all the relevant health questions. Apparently, I hadn't. This morning, he brings up the topic of whether I've ever been with another woman (answer: no) and so I casually ask, in return, whether he's ever been with another man. His answer comes back in the affirmative--a while ago, but still, in the affirmative. Now, maybe this wouldn't bother some women--and it wouldn't bother me, either, given his clean bill of health, except for one thing: I donate blood every 56 days like clockwork, and have done so, with breaks only due to pregnancy, due to surgeries, and due to absences from the U.S., since age 16.

Donating blood is extremely important to me; one unit of donated whole blood can theoretically be given to three patients (whole blood can be spun down into plasma, packed red blood cells [RBC's], and platelets), so in theory, I can directly help with the recovery of up to 18 patients per year. Given that I am rapidly approaching the 20 gallon donor "club" (I'm two pints, or two donations, away), I wouldn't want to risk my donor status in any way, so I called the Puget Sound Blood Centre straightaway to ask what my status would be if I followed through with our plan and had sexual relations with this man. The answer: for each sexual encounter with this man, I would have to wait 12 months from the date of the encounter to donate again, because sex, protected or unprotected, with a man who has ever had sex of any kind with another man ever tosses me into the "high risk" category, at least according to the PSBC guidelines.

Right now I am an emotional tossup of anger and sadness. I feel stupid and sad and angry at myself for not asking him directly, earlier, but I also feel some anger at him for not volunteering that information earlier, too--he knows, and has known for a while, that I donate blood regularly, because I told him when I asked what I thought were all the relevant health questions. I've had to call off our meeting, which is crushing, because saving lives > sex.

My question is, should I have asked him straight off if he'd ever had sexual relations with another man? It just never occurred to me to ask--he identifies as straight. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
If I were him I would think this was some bullshit excuse to call off meeting in person after making reservations, taking time off work and all of that shit. I would think I was being catfished. If it's about more than just sex I wouldn't understand why we couldn't just meet and hangout if sex is off the table so I would think something is fishy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't think it would have occurred to me to ask either. So don't feel too bad. If he'd identified as bi or bi-curious then I would have asked but if it said straight, yeah it wouldn't have crossed my mind.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I can understand where you're coming from, but that doesn't mean you can't meet and just spend time together. Does he know about this donating blood thing? Maybe he'd understand why you couldn't have sex. What happens if you were to have sex with a man who never told you about having sex with another man, or find out afterwards. In the end, it is your choice.

But, as for your question, those things should have been talked about right before you started to plan for the visit. Taking time off work, booking hotels and such, should have come after.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I wouldn't put blame on yourself. Like Felix said, as hard as it may be you don't have to have sex if you meet up with him.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I understand your situation and your compassion to continue to donate blood. It is a very vital item that is needed to save lives.

Being in the situation of sexually active can have it's drawbacks but there is also a grey area to how sexually involved this man has been with others.
My Husband is straight but in the eyes of some people, he would be considered bi since he will suck a cock before helping it slide into me.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the guy you met or will meet up with has not gone beyond that, I doubt you have to worry. But then again, it is up to the Blood Bank's discretion on how sexually active they will allow you.

Don't fret about it too much!

Kisses!

Steph
Lurker
0 likes
I'm with my good friend Poppet on this. It seems to me to be a "cautionary tale" regarding one more of the "things to ask" BEFORE deciding that both of you DO want to make the necessary arrangements to meet, as a desire to have sex with one another was probably a large part of such a decision with someone met here. I mean, let's face facts folks, while having sex with anyone is NEVER "required" this isn't a site about some sports team or some other subject. It IS a sexual fantasy site. Not that I or anyone else here (except the SPECIFIC individual involved) was a party to the discussions that led to this decision. However, given the nature of the site, some assumptions aren't exactly out of line or being made "from left field".
Lurker
0 likes
I would have never thought to have asked that question either. I would have expected that type of information to be shared before agreeing to meet and to be honest it would have put me off. Sydneysider and I had been chatting for over 2 years before we finally got together. I guess only you can make the decision what is more important to you.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hindsight is 20/20, but don't beat yourself up over it. I do find it interesting that it took this long for him to ask you if you've been with another woman (which prompted you to ask if he'd been with a man), usually that comes up fairly often/regularly while flirting/chatting/cybering. However, if he knew about your passion for donating blood AND he knew that blood banks don't allow blood from men who've had sex with other men, and by association ALL of their sex partners (male and female), then it was a lie of omission. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't, or maybe he didnt' think it was a big deal. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy.

I commend you for your devotion to giving blood, even in the face of it damaging a possible relationship.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Lurker
0 likes
You have to do what you feel is right. Maybe there is a voice saying how can I get out of this meeting, maybe not. But to be honest with yourself, you have to put yourself first. You may only have sex once with him and lose everything in the process. ie your donating, your personal satisfaction from getting your donating milestone, but also him. I'm sure if you had done all the reservations, time off etc you were serious about meeting him, so I can understand your anguish and annoyance. I find it hard to believe though it hasn't come out before, even in jest!! Follow your own path, and don't be swayed by anyone but you x whatever happens, good luck and be safe xx
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
If I were him I would think this was some bullshit excuse to call off meeting in person after making reservations, taking time off work and all of that shit. I would think I was being catfished. If it's about more than just sex I wouldn't understand why we couldn't just meet and hangout if sex is off the table so I would think something is fishy.

Felix, it was me who was taking time off work...not him. He was just using vacation time--not even that, just adding a few days to a business trip.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
Is it possible to have safe sex (condoms) and no kissing or exchanging bodily fluids with him?
Just curious.

Thank you for donating blood. It saves lives. And it helped saved mine too.

I don't know if I'm any help.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think he should have told you before , however difficult it might have been for him.
But with him knowing you are a regular blood donor it was essential he be honest and upfront .

Ali
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I commend you for what you believe to be your civic duty, an extremely noble one at that. But honestly, unless sex was the basis for the entire encounter, I don't think it should have been called off. Unless you believe sex was absolutely unavoidable, even just a day would've been more than calling the entire thing off. Must have hurt him. Bad.
Lurker
0 likes
Actually - I don't understand what the trouble is.

Well - maybe I see an issue that you're not focusing on.

You seem to be concluding that him having sex with a man - regardless of the scenario or what that even means to him (some people don't insert penis into the anus for gay sex) - is a concern . . . but what about him having sex with other women? Why does that not at all concern you?

Further, the guidelines discourage any form of casual sex. Do you genuinely intend on having no casual sex outside of a longer-term relationship - ever - for the rest of your life in order to donate blood? Because according to their guidelines it seems that only long-term relationships don't get YOU put in the 'high-risk' box.

So the matter really is this: Casual Sex - regardless of your partner's sexual activity and frequency (because that doesn't matter when you break it down, risk is based on YOUR sexual activity - not theres) - or Blood Donation.

Are you going to abstain from casual sex until the day you marry? Do you abstain from it NOW just to donate blood?

--

This isn't his issue or concern - its yours. If you didn't know of this guideline then how can he be held responsible? Afterall, no offense meant, but you were willing to hook up with a guy you met online and only aren't doing so because he's had 'gay sex'.

Only you are responsible for you.
Chuckanator
0 likes
From what I hear you saying there seems more than just blood donation going on here. A woman's choice goes far beyond abortion. You don't need an excuse to not meet with a person with the expectation of sex. I'm sure he'd get a blood test at the free clinic closest to him if you asked. But there's more going on here than that isn't it?

I personally couldn't make arrangements with someone I met on line for the express purpose of sex. Maybe to meet and see how the chemistry works and take it from there. Do I sound old fashioned? Yup. I am.
Senior Analyst
0 likes
I think you're well within your rights to refrain from having sex with anyone at all, for any reason at all. I regard that as an absolute right. Your body, your choice, full stop. The blood donation issue is irrelevant here, IMHO. If you have misgivings about having sex with him, there is nothing -- nothing -- that obligates you to go through with it, arrangements be damned.

I'm assuming that asking "all the relevant health questions" included an explicit inquiry into the gentleman's HIV status. What surprises me is that the inquiry wasn't broad enough to get at his prior sexual activity. You know, "OK, you're HIV-negative and that's wonderful. Have you ever been with someone whose status you didn't know, male or female?" That's not a criticism; it's just mild surprise that it didn't come up earlier.

Good luck with your decision and its outcome.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it's unfair to characterize your cancelling the encounter because he had gay sex. That's unfair. Your original post shows exactly why that's a problem. Giving blood is more important to you than sex. And in your mind, whether or not any of us agree, you feel misled or misinformed or whatever. Your choice to not meet up doesn't need anyone's approval. According to the FDA, having casual sex and having casual sex with a man who has had sex with another man is two different things. The topic of gay/bisexual men and blood donation has been discussed in the think tank already. However, here is a segment of the official FDA blood donation questionnaire...

Lurker
0 likes
Is he reading this thread?
0 likes
Quote by daddysweetheart
Is it possible to have safe sex (condoms) and no kissing or exchanging bodily fluids with him? Just curious.

Of course it is, but to PSBC, it doesn't matter. And to Lafayette, PSBC's screenings are are actually stricter than the FDA's--no donations from anyone who has had sex in the past twelve months with a man who has had sex with another man, protected or unprotected, EVER. There's many reasons why PSBC (and because it serves the greater Northwest and even the Lower Mainland in special cases, the Pacific Northwest in general) has one of the safest blood supplies in the world. And yes, donating blood is more important to me than sex.

And to everyone thinking this is about something other than me being worried about my donation status, it's not.

Yes, I've put the "let's meet and just have coffee" option on the table. Yes, I've explained that even though he's tested (repeatedly) clean, PSBC doesn't care. Now I am at the point of seriously considering just "forgetting" to tell PSBC about what he told me, because I know his health status, in order to keep our plans in order--and our plans weren't just to meet and have casual sex for the sake of having sex.

Prolific Writer
0 likes
You never really know about ones sexual activities. They could tell you they never did this or that. I have a friend who was married and her husband was cheating on her and gave her herpes. She didn't even know he was cheating on her or that he gave her an illness.

Now she is divorced and living with this disease. You have to be so careful. Your lucky that he actually told you that. Unfortunately when you sleep with people your sleeping with everybody they slept with.

You are an amazing woman to give blood. My father needed about 20 bags of blood right before he died. I thank you for doing what you do. Your an amazing woman. God bless you.....

Hugs,
Mysteria
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

Now I am at the point of seriously considering just "forgetting" to tell PSBC about what he told me, because I know his health status, in order to keep our plans in order

That just seems incredibly irresponsible. Especially when it's pretty common for people on the internet to lie.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
Actually - I don't understand what the trouble is.

Well - maybe I see an issue that you're not focusing on.

You seem to be concluding that him having sex with a man - regardless of the scenario or what that even means to him (some people don't insert penis into the anus for gay sex) - is a concern . . . but what about him having sex with other women? Why does that not at all concern you?

Further, the guidelines discourage any form of casual sex. Do you genuinely intend on having no casual sex outside of a longer-term relationship - ever - for the rest of your life in order to donate blood? Because according to their guidelines it seems that only long-term relationships don't get YOU put in the 'high-risk' box.

So the matter really is this: Casual Sex - regardless of your partner's sexual activity and frequency (because that doesn't matter when you break it down, risk is based on YOUR sexual activity - not theres) - or Blood Donation.

Are you going to abstain from casual sex until the day you marry? Do you abstain from it NOW just to donate blood?

--

This isn't his issue or concern - its yours. If you didn't know of this guideline then how can he be held responsible? Afterall, no offense meant, but you were willing to hook up with a guy you met online and only aren't doing so because he's had 'gay sex'.

This!

And about the rules concerning donating blood: what is so specific about male-on-male sex that straight couples don't do? And is docking or rubbing two cocks against each other really that more risky than a straight fuck?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There are always questions that are unasked. And sometimes people are not always forthcoming with certain details about themselves which hurts the other party when it is finally brought to light. This can change the entire direction of the relationship, as seems to be the case here.
Whatever decision you reach, I hope it's the right one for yoiu.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As not to sound to cold......it's probably safe to say the next individual you meet that question will be real close to number one.....just sayin. good luck....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Metilda

Metilda hit the nail on the head. Who here has ever disclosed their entire sexual encounters to a new partner? In all honesty, have you told someone every blowjob, casual encounter, one night stand, long term relationship, etc? Case in point, he did not know you had never been with another woman before the question was asked, so if the roles were reversed and you had a woman/woman encounter, would it have been something mentioned early on in the dialogue? I highly doubt that everyone has been so forthcoming or even thought that your entire sexual past is someone else's concern. It's a different topic if you have a contagious infection/disease, in which case being open and upfront about it is essential.

I, for one, had no idea that someone would be precluded from donating blood due to having relations with someone who engaged with a person who had man/man relations. I doubt the chap in question would have known that his sexual part would be a hindrance to your future donations.

My 2 pennies.
Lurker
0 likes
So Hera. What are you worried about?

You have your values (your right) and your priorities (your right). So who cares beyond that? Stop stressing out. You don't owe a random stranger anything.
Lurker
0 likes
In my mind, communication is very much a two way track, where both sides are equally responsible for the transmission of a message.

If you were aware of this important detail regarding the stringent rules for blood donation (as it seems to me, a non donor would probably not be) then was it not rather your responsibility to specifically ask this question...?
Since this is a critical factor for you, then it is at the forefront of your mind, whereas what he may have done in the past is unlikely to be at his. Also, he obviously wasn't hiding it, as when you asked him he told you.

Unquestionably, by giving blood you are doing a great thing and it is a real shame that the rules regarding this are causing this dilemna.

Either way, I'm not sure trying to establish a guilty party is going to help here and in my humble opinion, your best bet would be to talk to him about this, explain how you are hurting...I bet that he's hurting too!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

This!

And about the rules concerning donating blood: what is so specific about male-on-male sex that straight couples don't do? And is docking or rubbing two cocks against each other really that more risky than a straight fuck?

It's not really about what couples do as who they do it with, at least in the eyes of the CDC and FDA. Here are some posts from a Think Tank thread on this exact topic.

Quote by lafayettemister

According to a CBSnew report, the CDC says, Of the estimated 12,200 new HIV infections that occurred in 2010 in the 13-to-24 age group, 72 percent were in young men who have sex with men.

This is also a common practice across the globe, not just the States..

Quote by lafayettemister

According to Wikipedia most countries have a 1 year deferral on blood from MSM (Men who have Sex with Men). Which means, in countries like the UK, men cannot give blood if they've had sex with another man within one year. Because, the virus may not be detectable within the first few weeks of contracting.

Current blood testing is not able to detect the HIV virus within the Window Period, and MSM are much more likely to have HIV according to statistics.

According to an article by The LA Times, "The FDA estimates that HIV prevalence is 60 times higher among men who have sex with men than it is in the general public, and 800 times higher than it is in first-time blood donors, who are typically healthier than the general public."

I don't think the FDA, Red Cross, United Blood Services are being discriminatory. They're playing the averages, and protecting their financial asses. There are no doubt thousands of homosexual men and women working as doctors and nurses and phlebotomists and administrators of blood. If they aren't up in arms over it, I'll wait to throw mine up.

Blood is tested, of course it is. The problem is that HIV can be present in a person's blood and still be undetected by modern blood tests within the "Window Period". It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months for enough HIV antibodies to be detectable in a person's blood. So..

Tom has sex with another man in January, unknowingly contracts HIV
Tom gets tested in April and passes his HIV test
Tom has sex with Mary in Sept, Mary unknowingly contracts HIV
Mary goes to the blood bank in December to donate blood and is rejected as a candidate
Mary attempts to give blood the following year, does so, her blood is tested and is discarded.

According to aids.gov...

"Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States4, in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections2. MSM accounted for 54% of all people living with HIV infection in 2011, the most recent year these data are available1."

Those are the rules set forth by the federal government, some blood banks may choose to be even stricter. None can legally be less strict. I'm not saying whether the policy is fair or unfair, only pointing out that the CDC and FDA are simply playing the percentages.

edit.... also of note, women who only have sex with other women are not precluded from donating since they are statistically of no risk of having HIV

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As others have pointed out, you can still meet up but just make it clear you won't be sleeping with him. There's really no rule that says if you meet up with someone you met online, you have to sleep with them, and if the other person doesn't feel the same, walk away. Don't be angry with yourself, this is a learning experience.