The Split of Our Front Page - Stories/Poems

last reply
22 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I just wanted to say that this new split is so awesome!!

Thank you so much for doing this!

Now the stories that are so time consuming to produce get their fair viewing opportunity on the front page ... lingering longer instead of being pushed off by the many poems that are submitted daily.

I've greatly enjoyed this "division" yet it feels more consistent to me, somehow.

Honestly ... bravo!!

Thank you Nicola for implementing this.

Van
Matriarch
0 likes
Thank you for the feedback Van.

It made sense to make the change. We are primarily a story site (hence the domain name!), and focus was being taken away from that fact.

I like that the poems are all together now too, on their own tab. It makes accessing them a lot easier, in the one place.
Lurker
0 likes
Even though I didn't like the idea at first, when I saw how it actually looks like on home page, I have to admit that it makes sense and it looks lovely and well organised.
Honestly, it looks much better than it looked in a while, so congratulations on a new constructive change Lush!
Lurker
0 likes
Sometimes discrimination is good smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know that this has been kicked around in one form or another for a while now. I think that this was the solution that should make everyone happy. Great job!
Convict
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
I just wanted to say that this new split is so awesome!!

Thank you so much for doing this!

Now the stories that are so time consuming to produce get their fair viewing opportunity on the front page ... lingering longer instead of being pushed off by the many poems that are submitted daily.

I've greatly enjoyed this "division" yet it feels more consistent to me, somehow.

Honestly ... bravo!!

Thank you Nicola for implementing this.

Van

It's no secret that I didn't like the idea from the start but I am only one person and those who made the decision know better than I. However, I take great offense when someone says that stories take longer to write and are more time consuming than poetry writing is, therefore DESERVE to be on the home page more than poetry does. I see you have written a couple of poems Van Gogh, maybe yours didn't take long to write but there are a lot of us here who spend a long time trying to get ours 'just right'.

A poem also tells a story, it's just in a different format and I've never accepted as fact, that there is more work goes into writing a story than a good poem. I can't write a good story to save my life, but there are also those who can't write poetry either. Just saying.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
In the interest of clarity, the word 'deserve' was not used anywhere in the OP's post. Also, no one said poetry was easy to write.

Check yourself before you post a ranty response to something that didn't actually talk about what you're ranting about.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I feel that the story/poem split has been very positive for the site. Bravo!
0 likes
Quote by trinket
It's no secret that I didn't like the idea from the start but I am only one person and those who made the decision know better than I. However, I take great offense when someone says that stories take longer to write and are more time consuming than poetry writing is, therefore DESERVE to be on the home page more than poetry does. I see you have written a couple of poems Van Gogh, maybe yours didn't take long to write but there are a lot of us here who spend a long time trying to get ours 'just right'.

A poem also tells a story, it's just in a different format and I've never accepted as fact, that there is more work goes into writing a story than a good poem. I can't write a good story to save my life, but there are also those who can't write poetry either. Just saying.

The beauty of Lush is that the forums are a place to say what's on your mind, as you have always been able to do. Now, I didn't say anywhere in my original post that stories DESERVE to be on the home page. As our fearless leader, Nicola has said, the name of the site is LushSTORIES.com .... hence .... stories get top billing.

You want a poetry site - have at it!

When you make your frequent posts like these, Trinket, you have a good many people roll their eyes at your inability to just adapt with change and the enormous diversity this site has.

and .... I didn't say that poetry for some is difficult or easy .... maybe some should just be reading not writing .... but god, the love of Lush is that we can write .... and maybe someone will love it!

Have a great day!

Van
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar
In the interest of clarity, the word 'deserve' was not used anywhere in the OP's post. Also, no one said poetry was easy to write.

Check yourself before you post a ranty response to something that didn't actually talk about what you're ranting about.

Thanks RavenStar for your post.

Van
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Well, it's been a while since i've said anything controversial about poetry or pissed anyone off here at lush, so...

[censored by admin]

please send all hate mail in care of [correct email address removed by admin]

thank you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Convict
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Thank you Ravenstar, I consider myself checked and it wasn't a rant. You would definitely know if I was ranting.

Quote by VanGogh

The beauty of Lush is that the forums are a place to say what's on your mind, as you have always been able to do. Now, I didn't say anywhere in my original post that stories DESERVE to be on the home page. As our fearless leader, Nicola has said, the name of the site is LushSTORIES.com .... hence .... stories get top billing.

You want a poetry site - have at it!

When you make your frequent posts like these, Trinket, you have a good many people roll their eyes at your inability to just adapt with change and the enormous diversity this site has.

and .... I didn't say that poetry for some is difficult or easy .... maybe some should just be reading not writing .... but god, the love of Lush is that we can write .... and maybe someone will love it!

Have a great day!

Van

I apologise for reading Between the lines in your post and seeing more than you actually said. The nasty comment of yours I bolded was totally unnecessary though. Why be so sarcastic? As you say, the forums are a place to speak our mind. How would you know if I can accept change or not? I have nothing to do with running this site, but I AM entitled to give my opinion and feedback. Just because my opinion isn't the same as yours, doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
The separate poem and stories tabs have helped give attention to the amazing poems we get, and still gives the stories their due time on the home page. I give those pieces more time on the "first" page especially with the current comp, without taking away from all the great poems our writers produce. Of course not everyone will like the change. My first master teacher always told me, "The only person who likes change is a wet baby." But change is good, and I think this was a good change for all our writers: those who write only stories, and those who produce so many amazing poems.
0 likes
Quote by trinket
I apologise for reading Between the lines in your post and seeing more than you actually said. The nasty comment of yours I bolded was totally unnecessary though. Why be so sarcastic? As you say, the forums are a place to speak our mind. How would you know if I can accept change or not? I have nothing to do with running this site, but I AM entitled to give my opinion and feedback. Just because my opinion isn't the same as yours, doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong.

MY nasty comment??? You were the first to shoot your mouth off saying something I didn't say and being indignant which was totally off-base.

Nice try though.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I'm so pleased with the new split, actually. I personally don't read a lot of the poems, but I do once in a while. It was getting out of hand the poem vs story posting and it's nice to see that a story can be on the front page for more than a few hours before being pushed off.
Convict
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

MY nasty comment??? You were the first to shoot your mouth off saying something I didn't say and being indignant which was totally off-base.

Nice try though.

I didn't attack YOU personally, as you did me. AND I apologised to you for my first post. Nice try though. Ok your turn now. I'm finished playing though.
Have a lovely day.

Sprite. For you.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I haven't logged on to lush in several weeks but without skipping a beat my favorite clown is still making me laugh.

Anyway.... I do think the stories deserve more front page time than the poems because they are stories. It's a story site. Simple as that.

Poetry is hard to write, I'm not saying it isn't. But the fact is there are people that write poems everyday but there aren't people that write stories everyday. There's a reason for that. Having the same people on the front page everyday with 50- 100 quick words they slapped together is just obnoxious. Can you imagine being some new writer that wrote 6,000 carefully constructed words over the course of several weeks only to be pushed off the front page by some hickory dickory cock nonsense after only 6 hours? That sucks. I know I would be put off from writing anything else if that was my first experience as a writer here.

The division of the poetry and stories was the most clever way to deal with this problem. When I heard that was the way they were going to do it I was pretty impressed at whoever came up with that. Well done.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
The division of the poetry and stories was the most clever way to deal with this problem. When I heard that was the way they were going to do it I was pretty impressed at whoever came up with that. Well done.

Thank you.

What are you after?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Thank you.

What are you after?

51% ...of everything.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
I also applaud this change as it makes it easier for readers to access both stories and poetry clearly. Thanks Nicola!! smile
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you for doing the (All) too.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
A simple, unobtrusive and elegant solution. What a well run site. You always address the Lush community's issues thoughtfully. Thanks Nicola.