Why is it so hard for some people to smile

last reply
22 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just got back from the shops and it struck me not one of the employees who served me bothered to smile even once. I find it so disconcerting that people who are involved in customer service can't be bothered to smile. How hard is it to bung on a smile once in a while.

Oh BTW I was grinning at them like a cheshire cat.

Do other people find this as important an issue as seem to, or am I just getting my tits in a knot for nothing.
To boldly Lush where no one has Lushed before
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Although I can't speak from experience, I would imagine the reason that they don't smile is because they've had it pulled out of them!.. If you combine them probably not wanting to be there and add it too them having to deal with a handful of rude customers everyday, you can understand why they don't smile!
Story Verifier
0 likes
Maybe she had bad teeth?
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Lurker
0 likes
Where do you live? Culture means a lot when it comes to social interactions.

I used to be what I considered routinely polite and courteous - and one of my managers told me to 'tone it down'.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If someone doesn't feel like smiling, they won't. Maybe they are too focused on getting customers through the line fast, so they don't bitch about their slow cashier. Maybe they have been on their feet for the last 8 hours and are too tired, and just don't care to smile. Maybe they are depressed because there is something serious going on in their lives, or maybe they just didn't think to do it.

People who demand that others smile, or tell them how to smile are annoying and rude.
People are not put on this earth to cater to a strangers demand for them to pretend to be happy, or to see their teeth.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
If someone doesn't feel like smiling, they won't. Maybe they are too focused on getting customers through the line fast, so they don't bitch about their slow cashier. Maybe they have been on their feet for the last 8 hours and are too tired, and just don't care to smile. Maybe they are depressed because there is something serious going on in their lives, or maybe they just didn't think to do it.

People who demand that others smile, or tell them how to smile are annoying and rude.
People are not put on this earth to cater to a strangers demand for them to pretend to be happy, or to see their teeth.

Wow that was a relative strong response. I guess I had it coming for being so forthright in my opinion. I accept the criticism. I guess at the time I wrote this, I myself was a bit down and looking for a pick me up and expecting others to immediately provide a boost was selfish to say the least.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I didn't intend to be harsh, but I've worked in customer service long enough to be annoyed by this kind of idea that someone is "owed" a smile. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine.
However, most of the time, I was friendly and did smile at my customers. It kind of becomes automatic and fake after a while. Faking being happy is just...I don't know, kind of sad.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ParMach
I just got back from the shops and it struck me not one of the employees who served me bothered to smile even once. I find it so disconcerting that people who are involved in customer service can't be bothered to smile. How hard is it to bung on a smile once in a while.

Oh BTW I was grinning at them like a cheshire cat.

Do other people find this as important an issue as seem to, or am I just getting my tits in a knot for nothing.

They could have been tired, sick, not feeling well, burned out, stressed.

Unless you asked them specifically, you don't really know why not.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It could be that they are self-conscious about the quality of their teeth. Though, they still could at least grin back at you I suppose.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ParMach

Wow that was a relative strong response. I guess I had it coming for being so forthright in my opinion. I accept the criticism. I guess at the time I wrote this, I myself was a bit down and looking for a pick me up and expecting others to immediately provide a boost was selfish to say the least.

i worked a few years in a clothing boutique and i always put a smile on my face, thought it was the best i can do to welcoming the clients. Sometimes, i did not feel well, headache or whatever, and the smile was still there... When i do shopping and the guy/girl dont smile or ignore me, well, astalavista i am out of there quick since they dont care so much. Working in a public service means smile at people, kind of the first duty, well thats what i learned, call me old fashion... Anyway, the ability to just smile to people we interract with, vanished, as well as a -forgive me- when people slammed a door at your face or simply stepped on your foot...Courtesy seems down the drain, what a shame....
Live and let live
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
i know for a long time myself was the quality of my teeth, but once i got that taken care of was alot easier to show my pearly whites, but also could be that they just dont think too highly of themselves so dont feel that there is a whole lot to smile about, it can be rather sad and depressing, but not everyone can be a cheery person all the time, all depends on the person
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
I didn't intend to be harsh, but I've worked in customer service long enough to be annoyed by this kind of idea that someone is "owed" a smile. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine.
However, most of the time, I was friendly and did smile at my customers. It kind of becomes automatic and fake after a while. Faking being happy is just...I don't know, kind of sad.

No I didn't think you were being harsh just forthright and honest in your answer and I respect that. What you had to say is correct. Being friendly is I think important in customer relations faking a smile usually for most is obvious and yes agreed sad.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe someone smacked it off their face?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
You evidently haven't worked in customer service. Or haven't worked in it long enough.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
You evidently haven't worked in customer service. Or haven't worked in it long enough.

This exactly, although some customers can actually make you smile in how stupid they can be. Like when I was working in a renovation center and a customer measured his main door with an elastic... yes an elastic!

He just stretched his elastic in the store to measure our demo-doors, and he kept going: "That door is exactly the right size! Oh, that one too!". Then I had to explain to him why an elastic isn't exactly the best tool to measure anything accurately, without making him feel like a complete retard (which he obviously was).
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I can't smile for photographs, though I do often in real life. When I try it comes out forced and fake. It's truly bizarre. My Dad doesn't smile for photos, though her does in real life too, so it's a learned behavior. Still. Weird.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

I have to admit - it is extremely hard at times.
Then again a smile seen across the room can have some amazing reactions. I have made a few friends ??? that way but usually only for the night with her. Yes women can smile far more seductively than men.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy

I have to admit - it is extremely hard at times.
Then again a smile seen across the room can have some amazing reactions. I have made a few friends ??? that way but usually only for the night with her. Yes women can smile far more seductively than men.

I know I was myself having a not so good day that day and I guess in a way I was looking to others to find a pick me up. I should take in some respects a leaf out of my own book. Oh BTW things are a lot better now smile

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
there's nothing more that i hate than a fake smile. while i agree that it's important to be polite during interactions, that can be done without grinning from ear-to-ear. i'm often asked if i smile by ppl online because i'm not in the pics i post. the reason for that is, i feel that my smiles look forced when i take a pic of myself (think picture day at school). don't get me wrong, i can be a grinning fool, but i'd rather it be natural.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped
there's nothing more that i hate than a fake smile. while i agree that it's important to be polite during interactions, that can be done without grinning from ear-to-ear. i'm often asked if i smile by ppl online because i'm not in the pics i post. the reason for that is, i feel that my smiles look forced when i take a pic of myself (think picture day at school). don't get me wrong, i can be a grinning fool, but i'd rather it be natural.

I can tell by the way you write that your a grinning fool x
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I really don't care if they smile or not, as long as they are helpful. I acknowledge that sometimes people have shitty days and most people don't wake up in the morning and make a goal to be the biggest a-hole.
Lurker
0 likes
Resting bitch face?
Chuckanator
0 likes
It depends where it is. At Hooters I expect a smile. At Home Depot I feel blessed to just get service. I really don't need a grin to tell me that lighting is on isle 23.