what do you like playing more role playing games or shooter games

last reply
50 replies
7.7k views
0 watchers
1 like
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It depends on why I am playing. I prefer RPG games, hands down, when playing by myself. Social gaming however, I'd rather play a shooter, such as COD. Co-op on RPG is OK but shooters have a more competitive aspect for social gaming.
Coming soon...
Lurker
0 likes
I like both. Fallout, Mass Effect, and Elder's Scrolls are the best. They are a mix of both.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I love games with a great storyline mostly, and I also prefer strategic elements to senseless action. I guess I'd lean more for RPGs, though it's been quite a while since I played a proper RPG (eg. Final Fantasy). My favorite games on the Xbox-360 are the Arkham series, the Mass Effect series and L.A. Noire; these are pretty much the only ones I've played in fact.

Quote by Nerdy_Castle
I like both. Fallout, Mass Effect, and Elder's Scrolls are the best. They are a mix of both.

I agree. I haven't played the other twos, but Mass Effect was a perfect mix of every genre: great story, great action, great RPG elements.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I guess I'd lean more for RPGs, though it's been quite a while since I played a proper RPG (eg. Final Fantasy).

Beware the PC Master Race! Calling Final Fantasy an "RPG" rather than a "JRPG" can bring their wrath down on you.

Actually, for the last several games, calling Final Fantasy an RPG at all is a serious stretch. They've been little more than interactive movies as far as I'm concerned.

I may have played a few minutes of Doom and Wolfenstein back in the day, but otherwise, the last shooting game I put any serious time into was probably Duck Hunt or Hogan's Alley =P

Safe to say it's RPG for me, whether the JRPG, CRPG, or pen and paper variety.
Lurker
0 likes
Put them together
Lurker
0 likes
Put them together
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've always gravitated towards RPGs, I don't get bored of them as quickly as I do with shooters.
Lurker
0 likes
shooter games like Grand Theft Auto.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
RPG's: Dragon Age - Origins played numerous times: Warrior, Rogue, Mage. Rogue is my favorite. Like the picking locks, picking pockets, snaking in shadows. Skyrim, Dragon Age -Inquisition - (currently playing).
A determined person with perseverance can overcome many obstacles. They can, many times, perform better than those who are more intelligent, stronger and with better finances by determination and perseverance
0 likes
For me, it comes down to mood. In the long haul, a good RPG or realtime strategy game would be more satisfying but there are times when I just want to run around blowing shit up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I say both
+cats+with+caption+(1).jpg
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not very acquainted with all those abbreviations, but my first game was Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Loungeroom Lizards, adventure games they were called back then. The last game I seriously played was the first splinter cell. If I had to gamble, I'd call them RPGs. Don't like those games, were it's shoot or be shot.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Lurker
0 likes
MMORPG
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I definitely lean more to first shooter games. And until a few years ago never played online, so I've always played the campaign section of a game. But it has to do with not having enough time to invest in RPG games, so that I'm satisfied with the result.
For the last few month I've been exclusively playing Sniper Elite 3 on the PS3, multiplayer. It's fun when coz it combines skill with some strategy as the maps force you to need cover from teammates.
0 likes
I don't play either...but I do shoot Glock pistols competitively, in real life, with a real Glock 34 pistol, and real 9mm cartridges...does that count?

To be fair, I did try to play a first-person shooter game once--it was something where you went down a dark hallway with a "pistol" and a "flashlight"--but I was so frustrated with the lack of actual reality that I gave up very quickly.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I love games with a great storyline mostly, and I also prefer strategic elements to senseless action. I guess I'd lean more for RPGs, though it's been quite a while since I played a proper RPG (eg. Final Fantasy). My favorite games on the Xbox-360 are the Arkham series, the Mass Effect series and L.A. Noire; these are pretty much the only ones I've played in fact.

I agree. I haven't played the other twos, but Mass Effect was a perfect mix of every genre: great story, great action, great RPG elements.
. What are you waiting for.i demand you go out and finish the trilogy. Your decisions, affect the whole trilogy. Now go play.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use to stay away from Role Playing Games, however I seem to find myself playing them more nowadays. I think it's due to the strategy aspect of them as opposed to the run 'n gun style of most shooters. The problem I find with shooters nowadays is that they are so multiplayer focused that the single player aspect is almost non-existent.
~EMP2~
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm definitely RPG, because I like the strategy, the quest aspects and in the one I like best, the ability to make teams and swap characters to different quests.

I was never great at sport or racing gaming. But the RPG games suit my "Id" to solve puzzles, figure out best way to tackle different opponents, and reason out clues/hints given toward solving (eventually) the end game. I'm in Dragon Age Inquisition now (preordered at gaming store & picked up.when they did late opening for all preorders) for 180+ hours. I started over once, so I've actually played over 200 hours. I've done Dragon Age Origins 4 or five times, as rogue, warrior and once as a mage (didn't like Mage, but son does). Also done Fable II, Fable III multiple times and started Fable Anniversary, but not completed yet, still in Skyrim too, with many hours of enjoyable gaming, and still not finished.

But my family had a saying that "The Old Maid kissed the cow, cause she liked it better that her boyfriend's kisses." So its good there is variety do so many people can enjoy the experiences.
A determined person with perseverance can overcome many obstacles. They can, many times, perform better than those who are more intelligent, stronger and with better finances by determination and perseverance
Lurker
0 likes
Depends on the mood, but mostly RPG.
FPS games are great if you just want to go wild.
Speaking of which any good fps recommendations? except COD/BF
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah Everyone recommends borderlands but I just can't stand the graphics, gonna try it tho. everyone seems to like it.
Thanks for recommendation, is first boderlands worth playing?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
RPGs all the way for me.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
RPG's, as I prefer a solo, cerebral experience. Never was good at FPS, except for Goldeneye 007 back in the day on N64.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I prefer RPGs over shooter games, but a RPG-shooter hybrid can be fun.
Lurker
0 likes
RPGs. I do enjoy getting lost in a good story. Also, when you have a quality open world RPG such as the Fallouts/Skyrim etc, exploring those worlds is a whole lot of fun.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hands down--role playing-you can really get lost in the game
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
By far prefer RPGs, but love when they have some elements of shooters. I want a good story that I can play through.