Primal Instincts

last reply
6 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This was written by a man on another website, and I found it both intriguing and slightly creepy (for obvious reasons.)

We all have primal needs.
It's ingrained in us from our caveman days, the need to conquer.
To take what we want when we want it.
Our biggest problem now days is that society frowns on men just grabbing a woman and having animalistic sex with her.
But still, I find myself walking through a store and seeing a woman I want.
My pulse quickens.
My sense of smell increases.
My gaze on her becomes more intense.
My problem is I've been domesticated.
I need to learn to hunt again.
To track my prey.
To be ready to attack when the time is right.
To become the animal that I once was.

(Edits: I fixed all the grammar and spelling mistakes to make it easier to read. The words are exactly what was written.)

The questions:

Do you feel this inherent need to find a woman as a "hunt"?
Do you feel that you have been domesticated by society?
Do you feel the same kind of frustration this man is expressing?

Or is this guy just a dangerous creeper/potential criminal?

On one hand, I can see where he may feel sexually frustrated, especially if he hasn't had a satisfying encounter in a while.
And science has proven many times that under certain circumstances, our primitive brain/cellular memory/survival instincts do kick in/take over. Sexual desires are deeply ingrained into us. I can relate in some ways, as there have been many times that I have felt a bit more like a lioness on the prowl, than a human being. So I can understand what he is saying. Maybe he's just brave enough to publicly admit what most guys secretly feel?

On the other hand, it would be very easy to assume he is a poetic potential , and every internal big red alarm warning I have is going off. Danger! Danger, Will Robinson. Danger! I just hope he doesn't act on these urges during a late night trip for a gallon of milk.

Guys, what are your thoughts?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The id is a powerful thing and can make us do and say pretty stupid things if we let it.

This man isn't tapping into his repressed caveman - he's blaming women for all the shit in his life. "Wouldn't it be easier if i just took what i wanted?" - no shit. Trouble is, there's always going to be a bigger caveman around the next corner who wants what you've just taken - and guess what he's going to do to you to get it.

Current debates about " culture" and other forms of misogyny can sometimes derail the fact many men have thoughts like this and it's nothing to do with society or how they were brought up - horrifyingly it seems to be innate. What culture does allow is for this guy to somehow work out some fucked up way of justifying his dangerous urges.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I see or encounter an attractive woman, I feel a deeply seeded urge to 'earn' her. I suppose that this could be called a 'hunt' but it's far, far more visual and emotional than it is physical. All of the emphasis is on me, not her. Without even really thinking I stand up straight, I show off, and I try to develope some sort of connection. I certainly don't feel an uncontrollable urge to just take her. Instead, it's a smile and some casual flirting.

But do I feel that I have been domesticated by society? Hahaha, no. Not in the slightest. If anything, society has provided me with more tools to show my worth and develope mutual attraction with that lady. In the animal kingdom, males really only have peacocking and beating the shit out of eachother in order to win the affection of a pretty female. Is that really what this guy wants? To just fight and wrestle and toss intelligence and chemestry to the wayside?

It's clear that this guy is frustrated. I do experience frustration, especially when I'm blown off right out of the gate, but that's how it goes with anything in life. Often times the best course of action is just to walk away and move on. He sounds upset to me. His words could be taken in a number of ways but I don't think that anyone would disagree that his feelings are strong and intense. I don't know if I would label him as a creeper since it's completely possible that he could be a nice guy but there's something to be said about playing it safe and assuming the worst.

It's not uncommon for a man to have thoughts of just 'taking' a woman but it depends on the context. When I know someone, intimately, and the foreplay gets heated I'll admit that I do feel an overwhelming urge to just bend her over and have my way with her. However, this desire doesn't typically reveal itself with a complete stranger. Perhaps this guy just has a seriously reduced threshold for that behaviour? Whatever it is, I think he needs to pump the breaks a little.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Lurker
0 likes
I agree wholeheartedly with both statements above. What that man is actually thinking/feeling I know not. However he did get the part about primal urges correct, is so far as we have them. Being part of the animal kingdom and all that. I do NOT believe he got it correct about just taking what you want. Obviously nobody alive can say exactly what life was like in our earliest history, however we can look nature we do know, and draw conclusions. As stated by Hopp3r, it is more peacocking and attempting to gain the attention. This is true across the board, and we as humans also do this to a degree. Is it so out there to think that this has not also evolved over time, as our minds and bodies have? I mean have you ever seen a tv show where a male animal gets out of line with a female? She is often quite violent in response, and often wins that fight. The male, must earn the right to chase, and/or "capture". That is a thing only the female can give.

Long winded, sorry, but whoever that guy was is a potential danger. I also believe he is misunderstanding those primal longings.

As to society, Same as Hopp3r again. We now have more tools, and ways of demonstrating our individual worth. This is a good thing not a bad one.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I myself never felt or acted the way the man described.
Sounds to me he lost all his civilization and intellect.
Lurker
0 likes
Is there a desire or fantasy about just 'taking' a woman? Sure, that is 'primal' , for lack of a better word. But it's just a thought, not something ( for me anyway) to act on. Sex is so much more meaningful and wonderful when the person you're with wants it as much as ( maybe more than) you. If that means I'm domesticated, then I plead guilty.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I guess I'll pretty much echo what the other posters already discussed about...

I first tried to give that guy the benefit of the doubt, hoping that he was simply referring to 'general sexual assertiveness' (ie. men have sexual desires and often need to act upon them in one way or another), but then I reread it and some passages make what he's hinting at quite obvious:

"To take what we want when we want it."

"Our biggest problem nowadays is that society frowns on men just grabbing a woman and having animalistic sex with her."

"I need to learn to hunt again. To track my prey. To be ready to attack when the time is right."

I'm not buying at all his whole "I've been domesticated! It's in our innate masculine nature to jump at women and fuck them whenever we want to!". Here's a video depicting the mating rituals of chimpanzees; chimpanzees are largely patriarchal (ie. females are at the very bottom of the hierarchy as opposed to bonobos which are very matriarchal), and you can still observe that the mating rituals are quite a bit more complex than just jumping at a female and fucking her against her will:

Males of different species (even very patriarchal ones) will commonly seek a certain degree of compliance from their female partners. Just observe various videos of animals mating: the male often initiates the sexual contact, but the female still abides to it and willingly let the male do his thing. As another poster mentioned, if the female didn't completely abide she'd likely get extremely violent... and the male would have no choice but to look elsewhere or to try another tactic at a further time. And humans being of 'higher intelligence' than most of these species, you can rightly suspect that even their most 'primitive' sexual behaviors were quite a bit more sophisticated than simply engaging in forceful/non-consensual sex.

The way I conceive it (for humans), is that our nature grants us different 'urges'; our 'behaviors' aren't bestowed upon us at all, they simply represent how we act upon these urges. This might not be entirely true for species who barely possess a neocortex (eg. birds and reptiles) and who therefore behave in a much more 'automated' manner, but the human brain is predominantly 'adaptive': our sizable neocortex grants us the ability to scrutinize/evaluate/resolve our environment and to adapt our behaviors in the most productive way possible, rather than simply having a predefined set of behaviors dictated to us by a supposed 'nature'. Working out at the gym, studying at university or building medical centers isn't quite characteristic of our ancient 'cavemen ways', but it's still just as representative of our 'human nature' than killing a mammoth was. Or as Jean-Paul Sartre puts it: "There is no human nature. Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself."

Anyway, to answer the questions from a more personal viewpoint...

Do you feel this inherent need to find a woman as a "hunt"?

Not quite. For me, there's some form of challenge and pride associated with seducing a woman (which can be enjoyable and which can be slightly compared to the thrills of 'hunting'), but I don't exactly feel like a 'hunter' that's lurking in the dark and that's plotting an evil plan against her. Men and women have different roles in seduction, but I like to perceive these roles as genuinely equitable: I don't enjoy perceiving myself as a player or an abuser, and I hope that the woman will enjoy the seduction process (and what follows) just as much as I will. Just like most women will tell you that they somehow enjoy being 'chased' or feeling like a 'prey', and yet they don't quite enjoy perceiving themselves as vulnerable victims who are taken advantage of.

And regarding basic sexual urges, of course I have them and I often feel the need to alleviate them, but it never even crossed my mind to forcefully jump at a woman to have sex. And I don't exactly have to control these thoughts or keep them at bay, they simply don't occur to me at all... probably due to the fact that I can manage to get laid in a much more courteous manner. Much similar to how I can sometimes have intense food cravings, and yet it never crossed my mind to slap a child and steal his ice-cream cone.

Do you feel that you have been domesticated by society?

Not really. Our behaviors are all 'domesticated' to some degree anyway, and in most cases it's a positive thing: even wearing animal pelts like our ancestors used to could be perceived as a 'domesticated behavior' and it doesn't mean that it was a negative thing. And in the specific case of modern mating/relationships, our domesticated rituals (ie. marriage) actually favor the weak beta-male (like the guy in the OP) a lot more than the alpha-male; he can finally have his chance at a secure relationship with a woman without constantly having an alpha-male interfering, so I'm not quite sure what this guy is complaining about.

And concerning the rant of this guy, I wonder if he'd be complaining about being 'domesticated' if he had a bunch of hot women offered to him on a daily basis. This situation wouldn't be quite 'natural', but I doubt that he'd go: "Dammit, this feels so unnatural! I need to hunt, track my prey and all that crap, having women offered to me so easily totally goes against my primitive nature! I want to be the caveman that I once was, this domestication is killing me!"

Do you feel the same kind of frustration this man is expressing?

Only to a slight degree: I wish that I could parade on the street with my cock out, I really feel way too domesticated at times.
Lurker
0 likes
I think :

1) He's tryin to portray himself as something he's not .

2) Sounds like the mindset of a Lush chatroom guy .