Opening doors

last reply
35 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do want guys to open a door for you? It was just the way I was raised and I'm a little bit older than most of you
here. I get the impression that some young women don't like it.

BTW, I don't like it when (unless I'm carrying a package or she is clearly ahead) of woman opening a door for me . . . please don't make me like a grandfather!
0 likes
Yes I find it Beautiful!

And I taught my son to do it too!

But I also hold doors for mothers with kids and the elderly

Its a way of being kind and showing respect

Yes can I open it myself..but knowing someone cares to do it for me

It's just wonderful
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Why would anyone be offended. I think it shows class and class is never a bad thing. But I am from the old school also.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
mmm i like doing that for 'mature' guys often they give a nice smile and glance at my boobs, once i had loads of shopping and this cheeky old guy had a quick grope of me and went off lol so shocked but sooooo funny. and yes i do the same in return young or old, doors that is not the grope lol jelly xxx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love a man to hold open a door for me. It makes me feel beautiful, sexy, ladylike, and girlie all at the same time. It is a classy and respectful thing to do. Plus, it is a good indicator that your parents raised you with morals and values.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
why should I be offended its nice thing to do, unless you cut me up just so you can open the door for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As most have said, I think it's a gentlemanly thing to do however I don't expect door to be opened for me, but Im not offended by it either..
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
I love it. So few men these days seem to have basic manners.

My four year old DAUGHTER races to hold doors for people, and chats away at them, to boot.

But men? It's gracious, polite, and can be incredibly sexy. I can count on both hands the number of times a door has been held open/opened for me, and that's sad.
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Lurker
0 likes
I like it
Lurker
0 likes
There are some gentlemen left, and it is always welcomed and much appreciated when they express it in such a manner...but I do like to hold the door for others as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I hold the door open for people, but I don't expect men to hold the door for me. I would appreciate it though.

I wouldn't be offended as long as it wasn't like he was in front of me, opened the door, and let it slam in my face lol
Lurker
0 likes
It's nice when anyone holds the door.

Out on a date and he does shows manners and being a gentleman

The best is being with a man who will lovingly hold the door then smack you ass as you walk past;)
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Older men have always held doors for me. The one now is younger than I am, but he's every bit of a gentleman. He holds every door open for me. There are times when I have a few steps of a lead on him and arrive to the door first, fully anticipating to open it. His muscled arm extending beyond me and still beating me to the handle is such a turn on.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think so yes, and a man? Yes why not. He might do it out of an old fashioned sense of politeness, or because I am hot! What do I care. I also do it for other people too so it is not that strange.
Chuckanator
0 likes
I a know this is for gals but I have read most of the comments and am impressed by our lush women. I am old school and trained my son to be polite and gentlemanly with women.

Hold doors

Hold chairs

Stand when a woman comes in room to greet her.

If you ask a woman out no Dutch treat. You pay.

Don't use profanity, even if she does.

If it's cold and she has a light wrap, offer her yours.

Offer your assistance going down stairs by providing a hand.

There are other thing too but these are what pops to mind.
The Linebacker
0 likes
My mom gave me serious lessons in gentlemanly behavior when I was growing up. So I open and hold doors, pull out chairs, walk on the outside (even though people don't dump their overnight refuse on the streets anymore) and all those various things.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I just love when a man open the door for me, it shows he is a gentleman. That gesture is disappearing slowly since the younger men( 20+), well, their parents forgot to teach that simple politeness. What a shame! Holding doors, pulling out chairs, I saw my dad doing it all the time, and I always thought it was a gesture of almost chevalery..... found that so romanctic too, oh well...
Live and let live
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Holding the door open for the person behind you when you are entering a building is a common courtesy that everyone should extend to everyone regardless of gender. Chivalrous gestures based on gender are great in the right setting. If we are going out to eat at a nice restaurant, then opening the door for me, pulling out my chair, and paying for the meal, are all nice things to do that set the mood. But if you did it ALL the time, it wouldn't feel special anymore. It would feel perfunctory... and maybe even get annoying. No need to pull out my chair for me when I'm dressed in shorts in a tank top and we are getting a burrito at Chipotle. Also, if you do these things ALL the time, and then you gradually start doing it less and less, I'll wonder if your feelings for me have started to dwindle.

Also, let me take care of you too. For every meal you buy for me, let me cook one for you.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i appreciate it from anyone and hopefully, so do guys and other girls when i hold the door open for them - it's just a nice gesture.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I was taught by my dad to be respectful, and if someone is behind you hold the door for them.
I will help carry suitcase up or down stairs
Help people who have prams or children etc.
And I have taught my kids to be the same
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I don't necessarily want or expect a man to open my doors for me, but I think it's nice, and I always appreciate every act of courtesy from both men and women. I'm a big proponent of civility and kindness in any situation.
Lurker
0 likes
This reminds me of last summer holidays when I was in Greece and ran ahead a few feet to open the door for a group of elderly people. Each one walked through and never smiled or said thank you.... Frankly I was disappointed and felt indignation ..... I wasn't expecting that but thought that I can’t help what other people do, but I'm in complete control over what I do. So better continue doing good things you're taught at home..... Maybe, everyone will catch on someday.... I've seen Mom and Dad opening doors for visitors and warmly greeting them on arrival and walking them to their cars when they leave..... exchanging pleasantries at both the occasions....
So, I like it when you open the door for me in public or work or at home.... I'll respect you more when you do that..... especially if you open my car door.... lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't expect it, but it's a nice gesture which shows respect and good manners. I'm always appreciative and respond with a thank you and a smile.
Lurker
0 likes
Its not expected... But its appreciated...and if it is done ,it is always followed with a smile and a Thank you...
Lurker
0 likes
Depends who's at the door first. If it's me, I'm not going to stand there like a chump and wait for you to open it... I'm going to go through and then hold it open for you. And then probably say sorry... This is Britain after all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My father is extraordinarily polite, particularly to my mother. This is despite the fact that he was born in a very working class area, worked as a labourer before joining the Army as a private and I've heard him swear so hard it blistered paint. One day I watched him help Mum on with her coat, then move past her to open the front door to let her out of the house first before putting on his own coat as he left. Later the same day I watched him open doors to her and to another lady, and took notice of how often he said "please" and "thank you". He walks with a stick and when a young man held a door open for him, he smiled and said "thank you" but moved aside and let Mum go through first.

This is a man who once scolded a teenage me for whinging like a little girl and when I complained that "girls aren't good at maths" waved a finger in my face and told me that girls are as good as boys, if not better, and if I didn't want to end up as a whiny wimp I needed to pull my socks up. He treated me exactly like my older brothers. When I was 9 years old I fell out of a tree and broke my leg. I was terrified of what Dad would say when he came home. He just picked me up and gave me a cuddle. I asked him if he was angry because I climbed the tree. "No," he said, "I'll only be upset if you don't climb it again."

So that evening I asked him about his "old fashioned ways". He said something that stuck: believing in equality doesn't mean throwing out good manners, and the things a man does without thinking show his real character.

My partner is the same. You know one of the things that first attracted me to him? That day when we met on the street and went to the cafe, when we went to the counter and the very blousy lady served us, he said "hiya" to her, beamed at her, cracked jokes and made her laugh. Somebody he had never met before and would probably never meet again.

So, to answer the question: it's good manners, and says something about the person who does it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by joannemouse
My father is extraordinarily polite, particularly to my mother. This is despite the fact that he was born in a very working class area, worked as a labourer before joining the Army as a private and I've heard him swear so hard it blistered paint. One day I watched him help Mum on with her coat, then move past her to open the front door to let her out of the house first before putting on his own coat as he left. Later the same day I watched him open doors to her and to another lady, and took notice of how often he said "please" and "thank you". He walks with a stick and when a young man held a door open for him, he smiled and said "thank you" but moved aside and let Mum go through first.

This is a man who once scolded a teenage me for whinging like a little girl and when I complained that "girls aren't good at maths" waved a finger in my face and told me that girls are as good as boys, if not better, and if I didn't want to end up as a whiny wimp I needed to pull my socks up. He treated me exactly like my older brothers. When I was 9 years old I fell out of a tree and broke my leg. I was terrified of what Dad would say when he came home. He just picked me up and gave me a cuddle. I asked him if he was angry because I climbed the tree. "No," he said, "I'll only be upset if you don't climb it again."

So that evening I asked him about his "old fashioned ways". He said something that stuck: believing in equality doesn't mean throwing out good manners, and the things a man does without thinking show his real character.

My partner is the same. You know one of the things that first attracted me to him? That day when we met on the street and went to the cafe, when we went to the counter and the very blousy lady served us, he said "hiya" to her, beamed at her, cracked jokes and made her laugh. Somebody he had never met before and would probably never meet again.

So, to answer the question: it's good manners, and says something about the person who does it.

Your Dad is a total star!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seriouslyhorny

Your Dad is a total star!

Yes he is

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My Dad instilled courtesy in me and it's been growing there ever since.

I hold doors for ALL women regardless of age and men too when it's convenient.

I live in a small town where everyone is very courteous and it's a warm and friendly atmosphere. When I go to the cities my courtesy get's a lot of notice from people that often show surprise.

One of my favorite acts of courtesy was a knockout blond and her daughter entering a store ahead of me. As the door started to close the daughter (about 5yrs old) spotted me headed for the door. She pried herself away from her mom's hand and ran back and wrestled the door open for me with a proud look on her face.

I said "thank you very much young lady" and she beamed a huge smile and then ran back to her mom who gave her a proud look. That young lady will undoubtedly be quite the catch for somebody one day. smile

Chivalry is FAR from dead. It's just that some people need to be shown how it works so they understand it's importance and benefits.

Having said all that, I hope y'all have a wonderful day. Especially you ladies that are all looking so fine today... ;)
Great minds think alike but dirty minds work together.... ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I appreciate everyone's remarks. I'll keep opening door. If you are clearly first for the door, yes hold it open me, but please don't hold it open simply because I"m in the "mature" category.